Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl Kostman
    replied
    Hey guys another update on my progress, I got the rear differential all put together and installed in the housing everything is powder coated so tomorrow will hopefully be the final install of the rear axle, leaf springs everything under the frame. I have started cleaning up all the drive shafts under the truck and my truck does have a winch so of course that brings the count up a bit where would you folks suggest buying all the U-Joints from, I like Steve at Vintage a lot very helpful and a great guy to work with but with that said I think he is asking about 50% to high a price on his U-joints for this project, where do you suggest I buy these components from?
    Thanks much!
    Karl

Leave a comment:

• Karl Kostman
    replied
    Hey guys sorry I have been away for awhile I have been making good progress on the Power Wagon I now have the freshly Powder coated front and rear diff/axle housing back and got all my new bearing and races installed on the center section and pinion and on this Saturday I and a buddy will be assembling the diffs I have been reading everything I can fine but will be depending on the paperwork that came with the new Ring and Pinion gears from Vintage as my primary guide. I have been sandblasting and powder coating everything in sight to do with the running gear so I am hopeful that I will have at least the rear axle assembly mounted under the frame by the end of the weekend, fingers crossed! Will update more later!
    Karl

Leave a comment:

• CRudolph
    replied
    Karl

Ric Tudor has a lot of parts available as well and is reasonable on prices. His cell is 815-382-2011. Really good guy.

Leave a comment:

• CRudolph
    replied
    Karl

i have replaced the bearings and races in my rear 3rd member about to start on the front diff. What are you doing about checking the backlash on your differentials? I was reading an article on rebuilding the front knuckles while I have the diffs tire down. It suggested to replace the bearing with Timken bearing 23100 and Timken races 23256 which I found on Amazon for $37 per set (need 4 sets) to du up and lower bearing both sides. Check
    out the link. Keep me updated. Craig

https://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/steeringknuckle

Leave a comment:

• Karl Kostman
    replied
    Hey guysI just wanted to give you an update on my progress on my 50 PW. LOTS of media blasting virtually everything, my got home the other day and asked where all that sand came from that I dumped on our gravel road, then of course I had to explain that is was worn out media from my blaster, I think the answer is to let her blast rust off for a couple hours so she has a full idea of what I am talking about AND I will never have to explain it to her again! I am waiting anxiously for my diff/axle housing to be done they are being powder coated and hopefully done tomorrow then I can get the diffs installed and one day soon actually have the ability to put tires on the truck! Next is going through all the propeller shafts, all new U joints cleaning and MORE powder coating then I will tear into the trans and transfer case I really hope the bearings and races are OK in them my last bearing/race bill was a doosy!
    Thanks much for your help on this project guys you have answered my questions and offered some info that allowed me to proceed where I would have been dead in my tracks without, its greatly appreciated!!
    Karl

Leave a comment:

• CRudolph
    replied
    Thanks DeSoto.

Leave a comment:

• Karl Kostman
    replied
    Hey guys just an update on my progress I got all my bearings from Dave at DC truck Parts thanks to you guys sharing the info. One part that I never dreamed would take so long is cleaning all the 70 year old residual gear lube out of the old axle housings in prep for powder coating, today I ordered a wire multi level 3" brush and a 2" multi level wire brush hopefully that gives me what I need to get them cleaned out, I looked high and low and could not find any chemical that would really even loosen up the crud thats inside. Tonight I was media blasting the pullys and all the shackle components on the front suspension I will powder coat all them in my shop. When the axle/differential housing are powder coated I can then assemble the differentials and the front and rear assemblies and the steering knuckle assemblies that will be fun because I have not done them before, I always like to learn something new! Thanks for all your suggestions guys its helped and much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    replied
    I don't remember where I got my service manuals from any more, but a quick search on your favorite search engine for "dodge M37 service manuals" I found links to places that will sell you the PDFs as well as places that look like they have them for download for free, but I'm at work so have limited access to web sites. This looks like a good place to start:

Obviously not everything from those manuals works on a Power Wagon, but for stuff like differentials and such they are far easier to follow than the civilian truck service manual.
    Dodge M37 M43 M56 Military Vehicle Technical Manuals

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    replied
    Looks like the picture you want is on page 3
    Dodge called it the General Purpose Power Wagon; 1946-1968 WDX-WM300, the civilian truck with the military look. Also has come to be known as the flat fender Power Wagon, abbreviated FFPW

Leave a comment:

• CRudolph
    replied
    DSoto where do I find your pics and where can I find the PDF Manuel’s online. Makes a lot of sense to print only what you need. Thanks, Craig

Leave a comment:

• Karl Kostman
    replied
    Desoto61 I bought every manual I could find when I started this project but your idea of being able to print what you need as you need it is a good one then I could even make notes on it and other chicken scratching that seems to be my bad habit, thanks again for the tip!

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    commented on 's reply
    You can find PDFs online of the service manuals (there was more than one, though you don't need all of them), I purchased mine for not much money but there are probably shared copies floating around. Makes life convenient as you just print the section you need and if it gets dirty or damaged you just print a new one.

• CRudolph
    replied
    Thanks DeSoto will do.

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    commented on 's reply
    The M-37 military service manuals are great for this type of service since they were written for less experienced mechanics. They discuss how to do the check and provide specs. Its' been a while since I did mine though there's probably some pictures in my build thread showing how I did it. I remember it was a little tricky getting a dial indicator in the right position to properly check it.

• CRudolph
    replied
    Karl,

Got my rear diff out all bearings, new ring and pinion put on and put together only the snap one of the shark tooth lock washer as I was putting it back together. I spoke to VPW said I could probably pick one up at Fasten All. I hope so then I can move on the the front diff. Did you see 48 powerwagons post he came up with a good idea on getting the ring out as well.

Anybody have a method for checking the diff backlash? I hate to get it together wrong.

Keep plugging away Karl.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X