tranny fluid all over the place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny fluid all over the place!

Yesterday on the way home from work I noticed in my rear view mirror that I had white smoke coming out of the back of my truck when I gave it gass, not too much, just alittle. Today on my way home I noticed it again only more smoke, when I got home I looked under the truck and I had tranny fluid all over the place, all the way past my read diferential. I cleaned it up some and it looks like it is coming from the front seal from the tranny. I also thoight it might be coming from the pan gasket, the back of the pan gasket looks like some of the gasket is smashed out, I just changed that not too long ago, maybe I got the bolts too tight? The fluid is everywhere, not sure what too do next?

The first thing to do is clean it up as well as you can to best determine the source of the leak. Get it all clean and dry.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      The first thing to do is clean it up as well as you can to best determine the source of the leak. Get it all clean and dry.
      That is what I am going to do, I plan on changing the pan gasket and see if that is where the leak is, I hope that is my problem. I cant work on my truck until this weather clears up.

Comment

Take a look at your coolant lines running to the radiator. Any rubber hose in the lines anywhere? Is there fluid forward of the tranny? I've seen the lines rust through from the outside and leak. A good cleaning will most likely tell the tale after moving the truck back and forth with a little power braking to get pressure up in the tranny. Hope it's not to serious. Dropping a transmission out of those isn't my idea of a fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
          Take a look at your coolant lines running to the radiator. Any rubber hose in the lines anywhere? Is there fluid forward of the tranny? I've seen the lines rust through from the outside and leak. A good cleaning will most likely tell the tale after moving the truck back and forth with a little power braking to get pressure up in the tranny. Hope it's not to serious. Dropping a transmission out of those isn't my idea of a fun time.
          I drained the tranny fluid and replaced the filter and new pan gasket and cleaned it all up good. I took it for a short drive and more tranny fluid coming from bell housing, also I noticed some antifreeze dripping before I did any work today. Im thinking that is a freeze plug. What do you think?

Comment

That's entirely possible as there are plugs on the rear of the block besides the large ones on the side of the engine. When you pull the transmission you'll see the smaller freeze plugs. Not hard to replace or install. Get the brass plugs if you can otherwise coat the wet side with gasket sealer to prevent rust through.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
              That's entirely possible as there are plugs on the rear of the block besides the large ones on the side of the engine. When you pull the transmission you'll see the smaller freeze plugs. Not hard to replace or install. Get the brass plugs if you can otherwise coat the wet side with gasket sealer to prevent rust through.
              Thankyou Ron, Can I drop the tranny without dropping the transfer case? Or would it be easer to just pull the motor and tranny together?

Comment

If you still have tranny fluid coming from the bell housing area, you either have a front pump seal leaking or possibly the fluid is coming from the vent which is above the pump in the same area. Assuming your fluid level is properly checked and filled with the truck running in neutral, your tranny cooler could be clogged up, and your tranny is heating up and puking fluid from the vent.

Either way, sounds like the tranny needs to come out, which I've always found to be easiest to leave the transfer case attached and pull it as an assembly. While it's out you can address your freeze{core} plugs, change the front pump seal, drain your torque convertor in order to get a complete fluid change, and inspect closely to see if the fluid is coming from the vent.

Even if you are sure it's coming from the vent, I would do the previously mentioned items and then get an aerosol can of tranny cooler flush from the parts store and run it through the cooler lines to flush all the fluid and to be sure your cooler is not plugged.

Btw, unless your truck has a divorced transfer case, there's no way to avoid removing the case. The only question is whether your going to remove it connected to the tranny, or split it in the truck and remove it first by itself?

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                  If you still have tranny fluid coming from the bell housing area, you either have a front pump seal leaking or possibly the fluid is coming from the vent which is above the pump in the same area. Assuming your fluid level is properly checked and filled with the truck running in neutral, your tranny cooler could be clogged up, and your tranny is heating up and puking fluid from the vent.

Either way, sounds like the tranny needs to come out, which I've always found to be easiest to leave the transfer case attached and pull it as an assembly. While it's out you can address your freeze{core} plugs, change the front pump seal, drain your torque convertor in order to get a complete fluid change, and inspect closely to see if the fluid is coming from the vent.

Even if you are sure it's coming from the vent, I would do the previously mentioned items and then get an aerosol can of tranny cooler flush from the parts store and run it through the cooler lines to flush all the fluid and to be sure your cooler is not plugged.

Btw, unless your truck has a divorced transfer case, there's no way to avoid removing the case. The only question is whether your going to remove it connected to the tranny, or split it in the truck and remove it first by itself?

Doug
                  Thanks Doug, I will start by making sure the cooler lines are not pluged, I was hoping to avoid taking the transfer case out, that thing is so heavy. I guess I will try to remove the transfer case first then the tranny. What is the best way to do this? Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I've always left the transfer case and transmission bolted together and bolted to the crossmember. Then strapped it to my floor jack, and then dropped it down all together, then slid it off the jack, jacked up the truck high enough to slide it out from under the truck, and then dismantled it from there. As they say, your results may vary. I'm always working on the floor and not off of a lift, so definitely keep that in mind. Two people is probably the way to go as well, although, I seldom do it that way. I still do it this way on my '06 diesel 4x4, as well! Good luck! Doug

Comment

I've always left the transfer case and transmission bolted together and bolted to the crossmember. Then strapped it to my floor jack, and then dropped it down all together, then slid it off the jack, jacked up the truck high enough to slide it out from under the truck, and then dismantled it from there. As they say, your results may vary. I'm always working on the floor and not off of a lift, so definitely keep that in mind. Two people is probably the way to go as well, although, I seldom do it that way. I still do it this way on my '06 diesel 4x4, as well! Good luck! Doug

I dont have a tranny jack but I do have a cherry picker, so I think it would be easer for me to pull the motor. What do you think? I have been sick for two weeks, Im feeling better so its time to get to work.

Comment

Well, I don't have a tranny jack either and have done the whole package plenty of times. It just seems to spiral out of hand whenever I pull more apart than really needs to be. Either way you go, you can definitely get there. Good luck!

Comment

Well, I don't have a tranny jack either and have done the whole package plenty of times. It just seems to spiral out of hand whenever I pull more apart than really needs to be. Either way you go, you can definitely get there. Good luck!
                          Thanks, I need to ask a stupid question, where would be the best place to lift the motor?

Comment

The best way is to use an adjustable lifting bracket. These have four chains you bolt to the heads usually and has a lift point for the cherry picker on a long threaded shaft. You can adjust the lift point as you pull the engine/tranny to get it out from under the tunnel and over the core support. Harbor Freight has them or you can probably rent one. There are threaded holes on each end of the heads to bolt the chains. Use washers on the bolts so the heads don't slip through the chains. Be careful and think before doing.

Comment

Well, I started tearing her apart today, I am off today and tomorrow so I plan on getting that motor out soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X