Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• : P

I kinda enjoy cleaning old parts, getting them to look good again (kinda sick, I guess!!).

Comment

• The transmission is ready for reinstallation.

185.gif

186.gif

187.gif
      All the aluminum is clear-coated.
      The ID tag got new stamps stating bearings in Nov 2021

Purty, ain't it?

Hope I did it right....

Comment

• Dropped the trans off at the shop this morning! There's a delay getting the
        truck back, because the flywheel and pressure plates are 12", but the disc
        in the kit is 11 1/2", so Gene will be spending time and a trip to another town
        to try to get a 12" disc.

Got the bottom of the bed painted today, too...
        188.gif

Probably won't get anything done the next two weeks for work, family,
        and veteran volunteering obligations.

Comment

• So your flywheel is the std 143 tooth version used from 1969 until 1988 or so? That disc shouldn't be hard to locate, or at least it wasn't a couple years ago.

Bucky

Comment

• Yeah I don’t think it should be.

But everything seems to be in short supply. Took me five different supply companies to find a basic bearing and seal kit for the NP 435, one of the most common manual trannys in America.

Comment

• Gettin' close to a complete truck...

189.gif

190.gif

191.gif

192.gif

In the meantime, the left rear brake has been dragging. At first it appeared that the parking brake
              cable was sticking, but it turned out that the main return spring for the shoes had broken.

194.gif

Also, the rear rubber cab mount cushions were crushed and hard as wood, resulting in a
              rough ride and the cab banging on the truck frame at hard bumps.

Replaced with rubber discs (blue arrow) that I cut with a hand-made die (red arrow):

195.gif

I have also painted the frame; need to paint the axle:

196.gif

Despite the many hours spent on body work and prep, it's still a CRAPPY paint job with several
              sags, drips, and areas to be color / wet sanded.

Just glad you guys can't see it in person!

Planning on playing hooky from work tomorrow and mounting the bed to the frame.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Three days ago Wednesday:

197.gif
                Bed suspended from 4" x 4" (which is supported by two uprights 4" x 4" posts);
                raised and lowered by 120 volt hoist.

198.gif
                After wiring the lights which did not exist when I bought the truck.

199.gif
                Tightening up the four 3/8" bolts holding the bed to the frame was one of the highest
                levels of feeling of accomplishment I've had in a LOOOONG time.

After dinner I set the primered tailgate in place, and set the bumper temporarily in place.

Can't wait for the Airstream test-tow!!!

I can barely accept that the first post was so long ago....three years and three months!

"The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

10-23-2018, 08:55 PM
                W200 FAMILY ROAD TRIP PROJECT

CHAPTER 1: The Acquisition"

Comment

• Looking good. I appreciate the photos and updates. Certainly it has been a lot of hard/great work on you part. I hope the test run goes better than you expect.

Comment

• Looking good!!

Bucky

Comment

• Thanks Todd and Bucky!

This project has been going on so long, I figured everyone has gotten bored and moved on, ha ha!

Comment

• You are making way more progress than I am, that's for sure. My W600 still needs the carb replaced, a fresh battery & really a tune-up too. But even with a blizzard approaching in the next 48 hours, I just don't have the $$$ nor the gumption to mess with it. I am at the point in life where I will just sit at home until the snow melts.....or drive the wife's Caravan.

I spent 6 months out of every year waiting for the weather to cool off so I can get something done, then I spent the other 6 months waiting for warmer temps.

Keep up the good work, no matter how long it takes.

Bucky

Comment

• Thanks Bucky; I appreciate the encouragement!

Feel bad for your situation; if you want, send me the carb and I’ll rebuild it for you.

Comment

• I may take you up on that. I did rebuild it a couple of years ago but it's I think original & probably will never run perfect. Same for the tired ol 318 engine. I'm sure the compression is down & timing chain likely has slop in it. I would need a big tall shop with a big overhead crane hoist to get her out. I'm too old to be wrenching outside in the driveway.

Bucky

Comment

• Bucky: PM sent

Comment

• Originally posted by oldndcctrucks View Post
                                Bucky: PM sent
                                I just noticed & responded Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X