Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to take a break from work and have a little fun today
    98.jpg

A friend, his son, and I burned some powder and killed some targets

... Is there really any other better use for an old Dodge? :D

Comment

• When I was about 6 & lived in Colorado, my dad and some of his co-workers would go out & sight in their rifles..... And the company truck was a 73 W200 sno-fiter (blue).

Bucky
      1975 W600

Comment

• No way! Nice....

Comment

• I told my 16- and 20-year old daughters that I was going to install a rifle rack in the back window... they both said, "God, NO!!"

Heh, heh, heh....

Comment

• Well, the truck is back!

I have installed a small tachometer (Auto Meter 2306 Autogage Mini Tachometer; $56 at Amazon), chopped out a bunch of scabbed-in accessory wiring, removed some other electrical crap, added two 12 volt distribution fuse blocks (one from battery, one from ignition), and finished the trailer brake controller installation.

I also replaced the door window rollers in the driver's door.

The steering still wanders too much for my liking; I'm sure these trucks wandered a little as new, but this is too much to be comfortable for long-distance driving. "Caster" is a front hub angle and is the major contributing factor in this discussion.

An explanation which I like is located here:
            https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=4

"Wandering" in my definition is the truck's failure to tend to maintain straight-ahead steering, and to not be inclined to return to a straight-ahead path upon finish of a turn. In my case, the truck does not tend to return from a wide turn, and I am required to constantly correct its path for straight ahead, especially for small irregularities in the road surface.

Some conditions with this truck which contribute to this problem include:

1. The rear axle has lifted, extra springs which change the angle of the frame compared to the road, reducing caster angle.
            2. Sagging front axle springs; this lowers the front end of the frame, reducing positive caster angle.
            3. The oversized tires I installed on the truck.
            4. A lack of factory caster shims.

The factory manual I have states the angle to be 3 degrees positive caster.

For #1. above, I will not be correcting that as I will be driving loaded for the entire trip.
            For #2. above, I plan to replace the main leaves and probably the second leaves under them. I may install 1/2"-longer shackles as well.
            For #3. above, I will not be changing this condition. Although narrow tires give greater steering response, I will be keeping what I have.
            For #4. above, I installed 2.5 degree steel shims yesterday. Steering has improved, but only to about 50% of what I am looking for.

The shims are steel (aluminum is quite common, but soft and has a tendency to slowly fail in off-road vehicles; bronze is also available, but I could not find what I wanted in the correct size and degree of angle). They are made by Rubicon Express, P/N RE1464; $34 / pair at Amazon. I have ordered another pair and will stack them in ASAP. I also had to remove the spring pack center bolts and weld-on steel nuts to extend the heads to mesh with the axle spring seat centering hole.

99.jpg
            U-bolts and bottom bracket removed; driver's side

101.jpg
            Arrow points to spring pack centering bolt head

102.jpg
            New 2.5 degree shim installed

100.jpg
            Sagging springs, contributing to less positive caster

103.jpg
            Front spring rear shackles barely keep spring eye from contacting the frame, by about 1/16"
            Last edited by oldndcctrucks; 06-13-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X