Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone did a crappy brake job...

33.jpg

...the slack adjuster ratchet dog and spring are missing, and the tywraps betray that it was a conscious decision!

Comment

I solved the brake adjuster issue. NAPA sold me a special-order one and then told me three days later that it actually wasn’t available, including calling two other warehouses. They wanted about $5.00 for the part, and $10.00 shipping. Huh.

So I made one; it took about 2 ½ hours.
      40.jpg

39.jpg
      The original is on the left.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Thanks! Would have preferred to buy one but at least it’s fixed now

Comment

They look identical!
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thanks! There’s a lot of liability in brakes so I tried harder and spent more time than usual

Comment

Exhaust leaks at the pipe flanges, air coming into the cab with exhaust fumes, driver’s side seat sagging, loose transmission shifting; all made for a special ride. I will soldier on!

Welcome to the crew cab world..

Comment

Yeah, no big surprise- I’ve just gotten spoiled driving pickups less than ten years old

Comment

They've made pickups in the last 10 years?
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

SMALL MILESTONE:

I have finally gotten all the wheels blasted and powder-coated, gotten all the tires mounted and balanced, and gotten the second spare wheel and used tire mounted and balanced.

Tires and wheels are done- this was bothering me, because I could not drive the truck without them...!

Comment

Well, I started the carburetor tune-up while waiting for the opportunity to finish the rear brakes, hubs, and wheel re-mounting:

I found one reason the truck ran crappy was the rubber tip on the inlet needle was gone, so there was basically no fuel-fill control, causing flooding.

I have also found that the top cover gasket was the wrong one, the choke pull-back diaphragm was leaking, and the accelerator pump piston cup was worn out.

Anyways, after I disassembled the whole thing, I found that one of the tubes in the venturi cap was different from the other. One took a .045" torch tip cleaner rod, while the other would not take anything larger than .025"...

This seems really wrong to me, as this will cause a big imbalance of air/fuel ratio between half the cylinders compared to the other half!

42.jpg

Anyone able to tell me if this is correct (factory) or not? If correct, WHY???

Thanks!

Comment

Well, the rear brakes, hubs, parking brake, and wheels are done.

The trailing brake shoe was not the exact correct one, so I had to drill a hole for one of the return springs; also found (causing great consternation) that two of the wheels that came with the truck have 4 ½” hub holes, while the other three have 4 ¾” hub holes. So? Well, the front hubs will pass the smaller holes, but the rear will not! So two of the wheels cannot interchange to all four positions. Hmmm.

Of course, the two worst-balancing wheels are now up front. Ugh.

Anyways, I replaced the throttle cable, as it was sticky and old. I also replaced the ignition coil with a new one.

The carburetor was a mess, as noted above. The two tubes in the venturi cap had vastly different port sizes (one was .045”, the other was .025”). I reamed out the smaller to even the sizes; if I have rich mixture problems, I can solder either or both shut and re-drill with jeweler’s bits.

I am awaiting a couple of parts for the carb, then I will be able to finish it and re-install it and see how it runs after I replace all of the vacuum lines. By the way, these BBD carbs have NUMEROUS adjustments!

Float height, two idle mixture screws, accelerator plunger spring adjustment, two accelerator pump stroke adjustments, throttle idle, fast idle (choke stepper), choke pull-off, and a couple more I don’t remember. It’s gonna be fun!!

44.jpg
                          I'm hoping to be able to tune and drive the truck by the New Year. The brakes are WAAAAY better- I found that the rear cylinders were seized.

Comment

The wheels with the smaller center hole are likely GM. They won't mount on a Dana 60 rear. Ford wheels (of the 60's-80's eras) will.

Bucky

Comment

COOL thanks Bucky! I will keep my eyes out for replacements. I was informed that one of the axles may have been replaced with something other than stock, so this clears it up a bit for me.

Just about ALL of this truck has seemed to be stock so far, so I was worried about a "Bubba" legacy...

Comment

Merry Christmas.

I've never noticed the venturi tubes to be different sizes but I've never really checked either. I'll check my carb parts bin and see if I have a spare to check. And yes, these carbs do seem to have a lot of adjustments. I think I have them mostly figured out but still struggle with the fast idle and choke. Mine is hard/slow to start sometimes...

I'm running 16" ford rims on mine no problem. What tires did you end up getting?
                                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                                X