Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 712edf
    replied
    Today I replaced the inline fuel filter, adjoining hoses/clamps & started up the engine. Was running rough, super rich, I could see fuel on top of the manifold. I killed it, tightened the inlet then pecked on the bowl by the needle/seat to possibly unstick it......when I got it started the second time it ran much smoother, no over rich smoke. It still doesn't want to idle very well & I am about out of adjustment. I left the throttle set & let the engine run about 10 minutes at a high idle. I need to add some fresh gas, finish wiring up the alternator.

    The new fuel filter is one of those clear ones & it's nice to see it FULL of CLEAN gas. It's also nice to have a somewhat running engine that isn't spraying or dripping gasoline everywhere.

    I had intended to replace more of the flexible fuel line, but I think the hose I bought today is rubber junk made for transmission hose & not gas, despite my have specifically asking for ethanol resistant fuel hose.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Yes it is Todd. I hate to let anything set, even a lawn mower or edger.

    I still intend to someday get a Carter or Holley pump, but for now the knock-off brand will do.

    We are entering the coldest part of the year ( I guess everyone in the Northern Hemisphere can say that) so my opportunities to work on it are at a low.

    I know I have been nursing that weak battery since this thread began 3 years ago, but no point in getting a new one until I intend to drive this thing regularly again.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • Todd M
    replied
    Congratulations on getting the truck running. It is a great feeling when they run for some time.

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    I made significant progress Saturday. I bought another cheap parts store $35 Chinese made fuel pump & got it installed. Before I hooked up the fuel hose to the new pump. I disconnected the vent hose at the tank & stuck a temporary hose in its place to blow through. I had to seal off the filler hole with tape. I was able to blow into the tank & pressure it enough to force all the air out of the lines & get fuel all the way to the new pump, then later up to the carb. After charging the battery & further priming the carb I was able to start the engine & let it run for about 5 minutes. I had to use the throttle to keep it running while I tweaked the carb. This is the first time the engine has ran for any length of time since the carb rebuild.

    Of course now with a working fuel pump I have a few gas leaks to fix. I will replace all the little flexible hose sections with new & properly sized pieces of ethanol resistant hose even though I never intend to use any ethanol fuel in it again. I will get new clamps too. I have a bad habit of just using whatever size & type of hose I have on hand instead of the proper diameter needed. This causes leaks.

    Yesterday was a busy day with family activities and now it's too cold & windy to mess with, so it will be a while before I pop the hood.

    I need a new battery, top off all the drivetrain fluids & to add some more pure gasoline before I attempt to drive it.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    I received my magneto today. Beautiful......and expensive.

    I'm not going to bother with installing it until I get the fuel situation corrected.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Well 13 months after I ordered it, I get a call from Joe Hunt Magneto this week saying that my magneto is ready & should be here by Friday.

    Not sure if I even want to install it now. I did get most of the factory wiring replaced. Maybe after I get to fuel problems fixed.

    My no run issues are gas related. The pump is not doing squat. And the needle/seat doesn't want to let anything into the carb. I tried gravity feeding the carb, no luck.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    No sir, its a Carter BBD.

    My issue is fuel pump related. I cleaned the tank, the lines are all cleaned out too. Carb is rebuilt.
    The pump no pumpy. A simple fix should I ever get the time, energy & proper climate to do it.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • Matthew Welcher PWA
    replied
    I am so very glad you did not half to walk, I have found vacuum leaks can at time be this culptit, have you tried the old hosing down on the base of the carb with either, to see if you are pulling air?
    Does this unit have the ol WW Stromberg carB

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Well it has been 3 months since I last posted here, mainly because it has been 3 months since I touched my truck. Today it's still 106 outside. It has been the hottest summer in 12 years & the 2nd or 3rd hottest in my lifetime. I just don't want to mess with anything outside when its this hot.

    I did get to go to Alaska in July/August. I should have stayed I guess.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Today I had a couple of free hours this morning & it wasn't hot yet so I decided to wrench on the W600 again. I charged up the battery, added a couple more gallons of fresh non-ethanol gasoline to the tank, then I removed the fuel line going into the carburetor. I was able to fill the float bowl full of gas through the inlet hole & also splashed some down into the intake. I reconnected the fuel line to the carb. The engine would fire & idle/run fine for maybe 10 seconds, until the bowl was empty.

    This just further confirmed that the pump is not doing squat.

    So I'm not messing with it until I can get a new Holley or Carter fuel pump.

    For now mowing, pool maintenance & grandkids are keeping me busy when I'm not at work.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    I turn 55 this Summer.

    Working underneath the W600 isn't as bad as I make it sound. Plenty of room to sit upright, the frame is over 2 ft above the ground. But it is parked on gravel & I use large sheets of cardboard to lay on. My uncle was a dozer owner/operator for decades. He preferred dirt instead of concrete due to the "cushioning" effect.

    Yep, I will be replacing the mechanical fuel pump for the 4th time in about as many years. But this time I intend to use a better product.

    Yes, after starting I flip the 12v toggle to off, leaving the reduced voltage switch On.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • KRB64
    replied
    Originally posted by 712edf View Post
    ...As I age working on this truck has become less fulfilling. I just don't enjoy getting hot/sweaty/greasy nor climbing around or underneath trying to access it. The thrill is about gone.

    Bucky
    I still enjoy it - mostly. I'd enjoy it more if I had a lift...

    It is harder to get down and under and then back up again. Having to use readers complicates things too. I'll be 60 next year.

    What I don't enjoy typically is redoing a job the second or third time. Not always because I didn't do it right the first time but because I and the truck are old enough to need it done again and again. For instance, my wipers haven't worked for about a month now because I need to replace those plastic washer clips AGAIN...

    The 12v switch to the coil, do you flip it off after it starts? Trying to remember how the ignition system works on these.

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    I made a bit more headway today. Installed the freshly cleaned spark plugs, got all the wiring hooked up with exception of alternator field wires. Got the carb & vacuum stuff hooked up too. And fixed the gas leak down by the frame. I added about 4 more gallons of fresh 100 % real gas to the tank.

    I used my hand pump to get fuel up through the pump to the carb inlet. Then pour a touch in the carb.

    It actually started & run for a second. Repeated this multiple times with same results. My ignition side of the equation is working fine. And I believe the carb will too.

    But that fuel pump isn't doing squat. No pressure, not even a dribble. the line from the pump up is unobstructed. And gas is present AT the pump, due to the gravity from the in cab tank.

    I'm done with cheap Chinese made parts store pumps. Either getting a Holley or Carter, or going electric.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    During one of our decent hours of weather ( defined as not below 50F, not above 85F or wind speeds not above 200 mph) I got some fresh NON-ethanol gasoline in the tank, the ignition all wired back up & the Carter BBD back on the engine.
    I pulled the spark plugs out to clean them, plus to leave them out while I did some cranking to get fuel back into the lines. I also used a hand pump to get gas back up to the carb, just a spittle, but none comes out while cranking. I did discover a leak in the line along the frame where rubber meets tubing. I will have to address that next. I'm not going to try to see if it will fire until I can confirm that the pump is delivering gas to the carb.

    I have contacted another source about purchasing a magneto. Have not received a reply.

    On the ignition currently I have one toggle for full 12 volts to coil while cranking, another toggle to get power to the coil through the ballast resistor for engine run condition. The ignition switch is going to be used just for starting only & power to gauges/wiper/blower/blinkers.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Well I haven't updated in about 5 months because not much has happened. Joe Hunt still has not produced me an LA style magneto. There is one certain part pertaining to the proper shaft that they supposedly are having difficulty getting from the machine shop. Magnetos have a top have that is pretty much interchangeable between engines of the same cylinder count & rotation. But the base & its shaft are specific to whatever engine it is going on. LA Chryslers are different lengths than B blocks, RB blocks, 354 Hemi, 392 Hemi, etc.

    I have found in my stash an extra truck wiring harness from another 70's Dodge truck that I once parted out. So yesterday I got the voltage regulator, coil, ballast & ECM all put back on. I just have to get some connections & a couple toggle switches from the parts store then I should have all the stock ignition put back it.

    I plan to open up the Carter BBD carb again to to make sure that I got everything back in their correctly. Then I guess I will toss some gas in the tank, prime it up & see if it will run again. I hate leaving an engine down for long periods of time. I still turn over dormant engines from time to time, just to keep them somewhat lubed.

    It is amazing how frail factory wiring is on these old trucks. No wonder so many stalled out or burned up.

    As I age working on this truck has become less fulfilling. I just don't enjoy getting hot/sweaty/greasy nor climbing around or underneath trying to access it. The thrill is about gone.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X