My nearest NAPA is about 30 miles away. I wouldn't have a problem if I knew exactly which kit I needed. Mike's website was so descriptive I feel I got the correct one. I bought one here locally at a "mom & pop" auto parts store 3 years ago & I would try them again had I keep the box/number. But I didn't & wouldn't want to go through all that hassle again having them look it up. Parts for anything larger than a 1 ton vehicle usually aren't listed.
I really only need the accelerator pump & a couple of gaskets. I will clean the carb up & replace the inlet needle/seat too.
While a magneto does toss a hotter spark, it's the simplicity factor that I am interested in. In using it I am eliminating miles of wiring, the ballast, ECM & coil. I could also do without the alternator except I am keeping the lights/heater. Engines with a mag usually don't passively die, you have to "kill" them.
Bucky
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
My W600 almost stranded me today
Collapse
X
-
Well, the picture on the JH website is pretty cool. Supply chain issues perhaps (that's the default reason no matter what now days)? What's the plan with the magneto, a hotter spark?
Let me know how well the carb kit goes and if it's any better/different from the local parts house kits. I've been getting mine from NAPA.
Leave a comment:
-
Hello,
I have not dealt with either company. I found out about Mike's Carburetor through a Sweptline site. I placed the order online yesterday morning & it is already on the way. Their website is very detailed & informative. Customer service seems to be good. We will see if the parts arrive on time & without complications.
Not so well with Joe Hunt Magnetos. I ordered over the phone Saturday September 24th, was told it would take about 10 days. 2 weeks later I called and was told "about another week". Here I am 5 weeks out from the day I ordered & still no magneto. Unfortunately the other mag company (Don Zig) is reputed to be even worse. Maybe it's a California thing, both companies are located there.
The truck came with electronic ignition. As far as I know all Chrysler vehicles (at least the domestic) came with EI beginning in 1972.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
Sounds like you might have found your problem(s).
Not heard of those companies. Have you done business with them before?
Does your distributer have points or is it electronic? I'm not sure when Dodge made the switch.
Wish I/you were closer. I'd give it a good home...
Leave a comment:
-
Well Summer finally ended here, I think. I got my gas tank removed. The float has a hole in it. No sock or filter on the inlet tube. It was partially clogged with debris. Overall the inside of the tank itself doesn't look too bad. I will figure out how to clean the inside. And yes those last few gallons of gasoline were questionable.
I ordered a Joe Hunt Magneto for the engine. No telling when it will actually arrive.
I will order a kit from Mike's Carburetor.
I currently have all the under dash wires removed & the majority of the under hood wiring too except for those going to all the lighting. The switch to the magneto lets me eliminate much of the rat's nest. Most everything I remove will get tossed into a bag for the next owner to deal with. I probably will sell this rig in the next year or so. I just don't enjoy it anymore. But when I do sell it I likely will keep the mag.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
Sorry to hear about your mom now.
I kept having to clean & rebuild my carb until I realized the fuel can I used (plastic) had a cracked seam in the handle. I guess it absorbed moisture through it because since I've switched to a metal can I get no more gunk/goop but the carb is still in a need of a newer/tighter one. But the 318 is old & tired too so I guess they match...
Sounds like Bucky & Ken are now brothers in the "catch your engine on fire club".
Leave a comment:
-
Well here we are 1 year later & I thought I would give an update since the situation is back again.
Over the past year I don't think I ever got the W600 out on the streets. Our Winter had some cold & snow in February, but I just stayed home instead of bothering with getting out in it "to prove I could". I never bothered getting it out for a Saturday morning drive to the gas station. My mom passed away this February, exactly 365 days after Dad. So her failing health & passing left me with no time to spare in 2021-22 either.
Anyways the truck would start weekly if I poured some gas in it. And I would splash some non-ethanol into the tank from time to time. But the hard to start & stuck needle issues returned.
I removed the Carter BBD. The cup on the accelerator pump was distorted & mangled. The needle was sticking & the inside of the carb, although not dirty wasn't pristine either. Time for a another rebuild or replacement. I had considered a Holley but those require an adaptor so I'm not going that route.
And if it cools off (still 100 degrees here today) I'm going to remove the seat & try to wrestle that tank out. I worry about damaging the lines or filler neck.
Today with the carb off I bumped the key just to see if fuel was coming out of the line. It was and the gas, oil, gunk atop the intake manifold ignited. I should have disconnected the coil. Had some scary moments there but got it put out. It did melt some vacuum hoses & wire insulation so I will be redoing all that too.
Ken I may be in contact about that rebuild!
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
The heat is a mixed blessed. The downside is we have to keep the A/C cranked at home resulting in another monster electric bill, and still too hot to finish projects like carb reinstallation on my roto-tillers.
The plus is the pool is still warm enough to swim in each afternoon, which is good for my sore tired back.
Haven't driven the W600 in the past several weeks, but I did start it yesterday.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
And this past week has been the hottest for us all Summer. We are nailing 100 every day. Which I guess is in perfect timing with historical trends.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
Today I replaced the short section of leaky rubber fuel hose, charged the battery, primed the carb, fired it right up & let it warm up to full operating temperature. Sounded pretty good. Also I topped off the radiator.
Probably will be replacing the battery this fall. I have too many projects going on at this time plus all my regular chores (yard, pool) so it seems like progress is hardly visible.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
Yes it's doing ok. I don't drive it a whole lot in this heat. Black trucks with all metal cabs, no insulation, no tint, no flooring, get toasty.
I got another fuel line leak, section of rubber/neoprene hose between pump & inline filter. I'm certain I upgraded that to some that is supposed to hold up to ethanol, but still yet seems like I'm fixing some sort of gas leak every few months.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
-
Glad to hear the truck is much more reliable
should be able to stretch its legs regularly!
Leave a comment:
-
Thank you!
Luckily we missed the ice. Just lots of snow & 10 days of record bitter cold weather.
Since the switch to "real" gasoline my W600 starts right up without any battery boost or priming of the carb. Just poke the gas pedal several times before & during cranking. This likely wouldn't be needed if it wasn't always a week between starts. Of course 60 degree temps are more favorable for good cranking speed & healthy fire than -7.
Bucky
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: