Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KRB64
    replied
    Sorry to learn about your father. Hope things are smoothing out for you now.

    Ethanol is bad stuff down here too, especially in boats (lots of moisture, lots of sitting idle). Glad the truck performed when you needed it. It was in it's element then (even if you weren't!) We had some friends out there visiting family and they said as bad as it was, it was predicted to be worse...

    We got about a week of "bad" weather for here too. Snow then ice then more snow (a whopping 6"!!) then it started to melt only to refreeze again! First time I've swapped on the studded tires in a decade or so for the M880 and even had to chain up the XJ. Only way to get around on ice pack.

    Keep us updated.

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    It's mostly the gas. Truck sat up too long. That 19 or so gallons of gas (ethanol) I put in it in November for first gas I had put in it in probably a year. I'm finally wising up & replacing that with straight gas. It'll be Summer before I try removing the tank. The carb is doing better. The last 3 times I started the truck I didn't have to prime it, just pump it several times, set the choke & hit the key. In the 10 degree weather I learned how to use the choke pretty good, know when to close it a bit & when to open it a bit. I had gotten used to Summertime where I leave it wide open as soon as the engine is running.

    I have been reading/studying/watching videos on ethanol & all those additives. Learned alot about how it attracts water, which turns into such a corrosive mess, particularly to rubber & aluminum.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Hey Bucky:

    it really sounds to time like you have a crappy carb and crappy gas.

    Firstly, I urge you to not only drain the tank, but also remove it and clean it out.

    Secondly, if this was my truck, I would replace the carb with a reman unit from a rebuilder with a high review rating. Or, a new, American-made unit. I can help you search, if you like.

    Here’s a thread on a Mopar site about reman carbs:
    https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...-carbs.431021/

    -Ken

    PS: I reconditioned the original carb on my ‘73 and with the factory electronic ignition, it runs GREAT! If you still have your old carb, you can send it to me and I will recondition it if it’s not too worn or damaged, if you pay the shipping both ways and for the rebuild kit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Matthew Welcher PWA
    commented on 's reply
    That is fantastic. I could hear and feel the truck as I read this. Thank you for sharing

  • 712edf
    replied
    Last night we got an additional 7 inches of snow to go on top of the 7 we got Sunday/Monday. I knew my Astrovan wasn't going to cut it, so this morning I fired up the ol Dodge, after cleaning all that snow off the hood/roof/windows & splashing some gas in her. I let it warm up at fast idle for over 10 minutes, then hit the road. The choke was very important in today's operation. As the truck would speed up the wind through the radiator would lower the temp just enough to cause a few adjustments while driving. I never made it to 5th gear, city streets were just too bad to get up to 25-30 mph. I did shift the tcase into 4x4, which added some more noise to the equation. This thing is way past a lube job, the differentials, tcase & tranny all probably could use some oil. Shifting wasn't the best.

    Truck drove beautifully through the snow. Got a few thumbs ups too.

    I suspect my clutch is out of adjustment. Can't get into granny low without a fight, plenty of grinding. Reverse grinds too but is doable.

    I didn't trust this thing enough to kill it on either of the 2 stops I made on way home. I use the throttle to keep her at a fast idle. When I'm not aboard. Luckily with the heavy snow I can leave her running in neutral with worry of rolling away. Parking brake doesn't hold much.

    I topped her off with some 93 octane NON-ethanol gas ($3.29/gal). I didn't need the higher octane but that was the only gas that station had available.

    Tomorrow may be slicker so I might decide to drive it again.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Today was an adventure. It is 20 degrees here in the middle of the day. Rarely gets this cold & then its only around dawn & for just a few hours. We have been below freezing since Monday afternoon. Five days below freezing is probably a record. It will get below zero tomorrow night, something that hasn't happened since 1989. May not get above freeing until next Friday, I don't think it has been this cold for this long in my lifetime.

    Anyways,
    I primed the carb & fired the W600 up. Let it run about 2000 rpm by setting the throttle. It will not idle lower than this until the engine is warm. It took 10-15 minutes to get up to the bottom of the "normal" operating temperature. Still wouldn't idle without some coaxing or use of the throttle. I hopped in for a spin & to top off the tank. I made it to the closest redlight about 5 blocks away. It died at the light, I am out of practice using 2 feet to operate 3 pedals. I cranked a bit, no luck. Hopped out, waved traffic around, grabbed my little spare gas can that I smartly brought, popped the hood, climbed to bumper to splash in some gas (no breather), slammed hood, climbed back in while cussing & praying, hit the key & luckily got it going. I'm proud of my old battery. I should switch to duals like I had in my W200, just to have more time to crank.

    I drove it down to gas station, careful to not kill it. This would no be possible if not for the manual transmission. I set the throttle & left it running at the pump while I topped it off & one of my jugs too.

    The drive home went ok, this whole trip was maybe 2 or so miles, but at these temps I don't want to venture any distance that I can't safely walk.

    While at home it died again. And again I had to prime it to get it going. I tried monkeying with the carb. The idle mixture screws are stuck. I finally got one to turn while a set of pliers. Screwdrivers don't grip well enough. One thing I noticed was the the idle adjustment (throttle blades) is almost out of adjustment. I'm ready to toss this Carter BBD in the trash. I think it has lived its life. It is old & worn. My rebuild job probably isn't up to snuff either.

    My plan was to have this truck road worthy in case I need it for Monday's blizzard. But I do not trust it. I should have been addressing this all along, but between my job, life, money & dealing with my parents 125 miles away, it just didn't get done. My dad died of cancer 2 weeks ago. His life took priority over my carburetor issues.

    I did add some Star Brite Star*tron fuel treatment.

    I hate February. Always has. It's by far the longest month of the year.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    I'm using that blue fuel stabilizer .Can't think of name but has something to do with enzymes?

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • KRB64
    replied
    Maybe dump in some fuel stabilizer, cut off the fuel and run it til it starves? Battery on a trickle charge. Then it should be ready for you when time/money allows...

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    So on Thanksgiving I primed the carb, started it & let her run a few minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to fully warm up & really needs this to run smooth & properly. Just doesn't act right when cold. Runs great when at operating temperature.

    Today I primed the carb & fired it up. Before it was fully warm I released the throttle & it died. Tried re-cranking but wouldn't fire until I poured a splash of gas in it, then fired right up.

    So my accelerator pump isn't doing it job, or something (float) is out of adjustment. I think my chinese fuel pump is doing its job, not that I trust it.

    I'm in a holding pattern as to spending money on correcting this & other issues. Same thing with our house. Now it not the time to be dropping money on non-essentials.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Actually draining the most of the tank is easy. It's an in-cab tank, the truck sets very high so getting siphon action going at a point in the fuel line just upstream from the pump isn't a problem, just slow.

    I plan to run it a tad in the morning before family responsibilities & the holiday take over.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Out here in Southern California, the gasoline deteriorates rapidly. It’s generally warmer here, so that may contribute to the problem.

    I have seen carbureted motorcycles and cars have obvious issues, especially starting, with gas 6 months old.

    You have had problems with the fuel pump and carb; but you may find that trying to correct performance problems without clean, fresh fuel will be very frustrating. Draining a tank is a pain, but why struggle extra?

    You could also connect a 2-gallon gas can to the pump temporarily and dive it to see if it runs noticeably better.

    Leave a comment:


  • KRB64
    replied
    That will be an easy fix if that's all it is. Hope so. I seem to not have the time/energy/money thing going on too... But if you'll pay to have it hauled over here I'll take it off your hands for you! I've always admired those beasts.

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Well last Sat (11-7) I charged the battery, primed the carb (twice) & got her to running. I added a couple of gallons of fresh gas from my lawn mower jug. Let her idle & warm up for about 10 minutes. The air temperature was pleasant 70 degrees.

    I decided to drive it. I babied it through the gears, doing my accelerating through 2nd & 3rd, then going easy in 4th/5th. Surprisingly it ran fine, no stumble no bog, just those huge bias ply tires shaking me to death.

    No visible gas leaks.

    I ventured down to the closest gas station. I wanted to go to one that had ethanol free fuel but it was over 2 miles away & I didn't trust getting that far from the nest, especially on the busy road it takes to get there & back. So I wheeled into closest station, left it running & filled it up.

    I couldn't believe it but it held over 19 gallons. I never knew the in-cab tank was that big, previously 12 was the most I had ever put in it. So I suspect some of my problem was from being at the bottom of the barrel. It had been maybe a year since I had filled it up. I guess over a year's time you can use up a tank of gas just starting & running an engine for 4-5 minutes once a week.
    Back when I drove it regularly I'd top it off every month but that never took more than 5-6 gallons. I never knew the capacity of the in-cab tank. I suspected 15-18 at most. Maybe it's 20-22.

    The sending unit is bad. I've never taken the time to try to remove it. I have found new ones online & they ain't cheap.

    Maybe tomorrow I will start it & drive it again. It needs a few little things replaced like a headlight & clearance lamp bulbs. And the exhaust is rotted off just after the muffler.

    I just don't have time/energy/money to mess with it much.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • 712edf
    replied
    Thank you.

    I would do more with this truck if I had an indoor place to work on it. Its too tall to fit into my garage.

    I would have already have swapped in my 440, except it's require a tall shop & overhead hoist. Plus time, which seems to be even harder to come by than money.

    Bucky

    Leave a comment:


  • KRB64
    replied
    My carb is worn out too. Hard to start, hard to keep adjusted. Last I checked you can get a rebuilt/refurbished one from NAPA or Rockauto for about $200.

    Sorry about your loss. Even tougher now in these times...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X