My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your mom now.

I kept having to clean & rebuild my carb until I realized the fuel can I used (plastic) had a cracked seam in the handle. I guess it absorbed moisture through it because since I've switched to a metal can I get no more gunk/goop but the carb is still in a need of a newer/tighter one. But the 318 is old & tired too so I guess they match...

Sounds like Bucky & Ken are now brothers in the "catch your engine on fire club".
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Well Summer finally ended here, I think. I got my gas tank removed. The float has a hole in it. No sock or filter on the inlet tube. It was partially clogged with debris. Overall the inside of the tank itself doesn't look too bad. I will figure out how to clean the inside. And yes those last few gallons of gasoline were questionable.

I ordered a Joe Hunt Magneto for the engine. No telling when it will actually arrive.

I will order a kit from Mike's Carburetor.

I currently have all the under dash wires removed & the majority of the under hood wiring too except for those going to all the lighting. The switch to the magneto lets me eliminate much of the rat's nest. Most everything I remove will get tossed into a bag for the next owner to deal with. I probably will sell this rig in the next year or so. I just don't enjoy it anymore. But when I do sell it I likely will keep the mag.

Bucky

Comment

Sounds like you might have found your problem(s).

Not heard of those companies. Have you done business with them before?

Does your distributer have points or is it electronic? I'm not sure when Dodge made the switch.

Wish I/you were closer. I'd give it a good home...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Hello,

I have not dealt with either company. I found out about Mike's Carburetor through a Sweptline site. I placed the order online yesterday morning & it is already on the way. Their website is very detailed & informative. Customer service seems to be good. We will see if the parts arrive on time & without complications.

Not so well with Joe Hunt Magnetos. I ordered over the phone Saturday September 24th, was told it would take about 10 days. 2 weeks later I called and was told "about another week". Here I am 5 weeks out from the day I ordered & still no magneto. Unfortunately the other mag company (Don Zig) is reputed to be even worse. Maybe it's a California thing, both companies are located there.

The truck came with electronic ignition. As far as I know all Chrysler vehicles (at least the domestic) came with EI beginning in 1972.

Bucky

Comment

Well, the picture on the JH website is pretty cool. Supply chain issues perhaps (that's the default reason no matter what now days)? What's the plan with the magneto, a hotter spark?

Let me know how well the carb kit goes and if it's any better/different from the local parts house kits. I've been getting mine from NAPA.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

My nearest NAPA is about 30 miles away. I wouldn't have a problem if I knew exactly which kit I needed. Mike's website was so descriptive I feel I got the correct one. I bought one here locally at a "mom & pop" auto parts store 3 years ago & I would try them again had I keep the box/number. But I didn't & wouldn't want to go through all that hassle again having them look it up. Parts for anything larger than a 1 ton vehicle usually aren't listed.

I really only need the accelerator pump & a couple of gaskets. I will clean the carb up & replace the inlet needle/seat too.

While a magneto does toss a hotter spark, it's the simplicity factor that I am interested in. In using it I am eliminating miles of wiring, the ballast, ECM & coil. I could also do without the alternator except I am keeping the lights/heater. Engines with a mag usually don't passively die, you have to "kill" them.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
              X