My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your mom now.

I kept having to clean & rebuild my carb until I realized the fuel can I used (plastic) had a cracked seam in the handle. I guess it absorbed moisture through it because since I've switched to a metal can I get no more gunk/goop but the carb is still in a need of a newer/tighter one. But the 318 is old & tired too so I guess they match...

Sounds like Bucky & Ken are now brothers in the "catch your engine on fire club".
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Well Summer finally ended here, I think. I got my gas tank removed. The float has a hole in it. No sock or filter on the inlet tube. It was partially clogged with debris. Overall the inside of the tank itself doesn't look too bad. I will figure out how to clean the inside. And yes those last few gallons of gasoline were questionable.

I ordered a Joe Hunt Magneto for the engine. No telling when it will actually arrive.

I will order a kit from Mike's Carburetor.

I currently have all the under dash wires removed & the majority of the under hood wiring too except for those going to all the lighting. The switch to the magneto lets me eliminate much of the rat's nest. Most everything I remove will get tossed into a bag for the next owner to deal with. I probably will sell this rig in the next year or so. I just don't enjoy it anymore. But when I do sell it I likely will keep the mag.

Bucky

Comment

Sounds like you might have found your problem(s).

Not heard of those companies. Have you done business with them before?

Does your distributer have points or is it electronic? I'm not sure when Dodge made the switch.

Wish I/you were closer. I'd give it a good home...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Hello,

I have not dealt with either company. I found out about Mike's Carburetor through a Sweptline site. I placed the order online yesterday morning & it is already on the way. Their website is very detailed & informative. Customer service seems to be good. We will see if the parts arrive on time & without complications.

Not so well with Joe Hunt Magnetos. I ordered over the phone Saturday September 24th, was told it would take about 10 days. 2 weeks later I called and was told "about another week". Here I am 5 weeks out from the day I ordered & still no magneto. Unfortunately the other mag company (Don Zig) is reputed to be even worse. Maybe it's a California thing, both companies are located there.

The truck came with electronic ignition. As far as I know all Chrysler vehicles (at least the domestic) came with EI beginning in 1972.

Bucky

Comment

Well, the picture on the JH website is pretty cool. Supply chain issues perhaps (that's the default reason no matter what now days)? What's the plan with the magneto, a hotter spark?

Let me know how well the carb kit goes and if it's any better/different from the local parts house kits. I've been getting mine from NAPA.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

My nearest NAPA is about 30 miles away. I wouldn't have a problem if I knew exactly which kit I needed. Mike's website was so descriptive I feel I got the correct one. I bought one here locally at a "mom & pop" auto parts store 3 years ago & I would try them again had I keep the box/number. But I didn't & wouldn't want to go through all that hassle again having them look it up. Parts for anything larger than a 1 ton vehicle usually aren't listed.

I really only need the accelerator pump & a couple of gaskets. I will clean the carb up & replace the inlet needle/seat too.

While a magneto does toss a hotter spark, it's the simplicity factor that I am interested in. In using it I am eliminating miles of wiring, the ballast, ECM & coil. I could also do without the alternator except I am keeping the lights/heater. Engines with a mag usually don't passively die, you have to "kill" them.

Bucky

Comment

Well I haven't updated in about 5 months because not much has happened. Joe Hunt still has not produced me an LA style magneto. There is one certain part pertaining to the proper shaft that they supposedly are having difficulty getting from the machine shop. Magnetos have a top have that is pretty much interchangeable between engines of the same cylinder count & rotation. But the base & its shaft are specific to whatever engine it is going on. LA Chryslers are different lengths than B blocks, RB blocks, 354 Hemi, 392 Hemi, etc.

I have found in my stash an extra truck wiring harness from another 70's Dodge truck that I once parted out. So yesterday I got the voltage regulator, coil, ballast & ECM all put back on. I just have to get some connections & a couple toggle switches from the parts store then I should have all the stock ignition put back it.

I plan to open up the Carter BBD carb again to to make sure that I got everything back in their correctly. Then I guess I will toss some gas in the tank, prime it up & see if it will run again. I hate leaving an engine down for long periods of time. I still turn over dormant engines from time to time, just to keep them somewhat lubed.

It is amazing how frail factory wiring is on these old trucks. No wonder so many stalled out or burned up.

As I age working on this truck has become less fulfilling. I just don't enjoy getting hot/sweaty/greasy nor climbing around or underneath trying to access it. The thrill is about gone.

Bucky

Comment

During one of our decent hours of weather ( defined as not below 50F, not above 85F or wind speeds not above 200 mph) I got some fresh NON-ethanol gasoline in the tank, the ignition all wired back up & the Carter BBD back on the engine.
                  I pulled the spark plugs out to clean them, plus to leave them out while I did some cranking to get fuel back into the lines. I also used a hand pump to get gas back up to the carb, just a spittle, but none comes out while cranking. I did discover a leak in the line along the frame where rubber meets tubing. I will have to address that next. I'm not going to try to see if it will fire until I can confirm that the pump is delivering gas to the carb.

I have contacted another source about purchasing a magneto. Have not received a reply.

On the ignition currently I have one toggle for full 12 volts to coil while cranking, another toggle to get power to the coil through the ballast resistor for engine run condition. The ignition switch is going to be used just for starting only & power to gauges/wiper/blower/blinkers.

Bucky

Comment

I made a bit more headway today. Installed the freshly cleaned spark plugs, got all the wiring hooked up with exception of alternator field wires. Got the carb & vacuum stuff hooked up too. And fixed the gas leak down by the frame. I added about 4 more gallons of fresh 100 % real gas to the tank.

I used my hand pump to get fuel up through the pump to the carb inlet. Then pour a touch in the carb.

It actually started & run for a second. Repeated this multiple times with same results. My ignition side of the equation is working fine. And I believe the carb will too.

But that fuel pump isn't doing squat. No pressure, not even a dribble. the line from the pump up is unobstructed. And gas is present AT the pump, due to the gravity from the in cab tank.

I'm done with cheap Chinese made parts store pumps. Either getting a Holley or Carter, or going electric.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      ...As I age working on this truck has become less fulfilling. I just don't enjoy getting hot/sweaty/greasy nor climbing around or underneath trying to access it. The thrill is about gone.

Bucky
                      I still enjoy it - mostly. I'd enjoy it more if I had a lift...

It is harder to get down and under and then back up again. Having to use readers complicates things too. I'll be 60 next year.

What I don't enjoy typically is redoing a job the second or third time. Not always because I didn't do it right the first time but because I and the truck are old enough to need it done again and again. For instance, my wipers haven't worked for about a month now because I need to replace those plastic washer clips AGAIN...

The 12v switch to the coil, do you flip it off after it starts? Trying to remember how the ignition system works on these.

2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I turn 55 this Summer.

Working underneath the W600 isn't as bad as I make it sound. Plenty of room to sit upright, the frame is over 2 ft above the ground. But it is parked on gravel & I use large sheets of cardboard to lay on. My uncle was a dozer owner/operator for decades. He preferred dirt instead of concrete due to the "cushioning" effect.

Yep, I will be replacing the mechanical fuel pump for the 4th time in about as many years. But this time I intend to use a better product.

Yes, after starting I flip the 12v toggle to off, leaving the reduced voltage switch On.

Bucky

Comment

Today I had a couple of free hours this morning & it wasn't hot yet so I decided to wrench on the W600 again. I charged up the battery, added a couple more gallons of fresh non-ethanol gasoline to the tank, then I removed the fuel line going into the carburetor. I was able to fill the float bowl full of gas through the inlet hole & also splashed some down into the intake. I reconnected the fuel line to the carb. The engine would fire & idle/run fine for maybe 10 seconds, until the bowl was empty.

This just further confirmed that the pump is not doing squat.

So I'm not messing with it until I can get a new Holley or Carter fuel pump.

For now mowing, pool maintenance & grandkids are keeping me busy when I'm not at work.

Bucky

Comment

Well it has been 3 months since I last posted here, mainly because it has been 3 months since I touched my truck. Today it's still 106 outside. It has been the hottest summer in 12 years & the 2nd or 3rd hottest in my lifetime. I just don't want to mess with anything outside when its this hot.

I did get to go to Alaska in July/August. I should have stayed I guess.

Bucky

Comment

I am so very glad you did not half to walk, I have found vacuum leaks can at time be this culptit, have you tried the old hosing down on the base of the carb with either, to see if you are pulling air?
                              Does this unit have the ol WW Stromberg carB
                              1967 W200.aka.Hank
                              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

No sir, its a Carter BBD.

My issue is fuel pump related. I cleaned the tank, the lines are all cleaned out too. Carb is rebuilt.
                                The pump no pumpy. A simple fix should I ever get the time, energy & proper climate to do it.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                                X