My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My W600 almost stranded me today

Backdrop: 1975 W600 with 318-2v & NP540 5-speed.

I used to drive this rig weekly, rarely had any issues. But the past couple of years I wouldn't drive it but did start it almost every Saturday & let it run for a minute or two.

Sometimes it'd run/idle rough or needed a splash of gas to fire, but usually would get going. I figured the carb needed attention & not continually putting fresh gasoline in didn't help.
    I rebuilt the carb (Carter BBD w manual choke) a couple of months ago. It would run fine but still required that initial splash of gas to fire. I noticed the rubber parts (hoses) of the fuel line were bad, plus gas was getting into my crankcase. I traced this to faulty fuel pump. It was leaking into the crankcase as well as externally, but still managed to supply enough gas to run the engine (at least while parked).

I replaced the fuel pump with a new $20 one made in China. I wasn't happy but that's all they had. Replaced the rubber hoses too. And changed my oil & filter.
    Engine would start & run fine, but only after priming the carb. No leaks.

I primed the carb yesterday, started to engine & let it run a few minutes. Today I tried to start it without priming, figuring it might work since it had only been 24 hours since it had ran. Nope, it cranked a few times then the weak battery wouldn't spin it fast enough. Battery has been weak for 3-4 months as well. So I primed the carb & hit the key (no booster required) , it started as normal.

So I let it warm a bit then decided to drive it around the neighborhood. She is cold natured so you have to use all 3 of your feet to keep it alive until you get full temp & rolling.

It ran normal through 2nd & 3rd gears a couple of times on residential streets. I don't use 1st, it's a non-synch granny gear. But when I got out on the main street (40 mph speed limit), she would lay down once I got going in 4th. Never made it to 5th. It felt like either running out of gas, or air. I don't think it was vapor lock due to it being cloudy & less than 80 degrees at the time. I don't think it's an air problem due to it having manual choke. I strolled through several streets in the neighborhood. 2nd & 3rd no problem, but she couldn't pull 4th gear beyond just lightly cruising.

I do think either (A) I didn't get the carb together correctly (B) the gas is bad (C) trash is in fuel line or (D) that new chinese fuel pump isn't up to snuff.

I need to drain the in cab tank & get fresh NON-ethanol gas. Then maybe new carb or order a more expensive, hopefully not chinese made fuel pump. New battery too.

Bucky

Two thoughts:

Can you plug in a vacuum-pressure gauge into a "t" and connect it all to the fuel line. Then you can see what the fuel pressure is doing under a load..

That still does not solve the hard start w/out a splash of fuel. Is the accelerator pump producing a good shot of gas when the throttle is opened?

I agree it sounds like a fuel problem, although it would not hurt look over the ignition side of the engine.

Comment

As far as the hard start, I suspect I'm losing fuel from the bowl or maybe the line up to the carb. I will check the accelerator pump next time. I haven't done yet, as it takes a step ladder to climb up there & peer down the throat.

I will rig up a gauge next time out.

It may be time to drain the tank too.

Bucky

Comment

Bucky,
        I got some bad gas 2 years ago. It caused me a huge headache to figure it all out.
        draining the tank, refilling with fresh and checking The flow is all good advice IMHO.

Comment

In time I will. Got some critical family items to deal with first.

Bucky

Comment

You ever figure it out? Me thinks the fuel pump is whimping out but the old gas doesn't help either.
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Well the new chinese fuel pump that I put on in the Summer began leaking, massive. So after looking everywhere locally (the dealer laughed, said it was impossible to get parts for anything older than 2009. Yes, 2009) I wound up getting a second chinese fuel pump (different brand).

Now it starts & runs with priming, but I have to whack the carb. Sometimes the gas won't flow into the carb. Sometime it spews out the vent on top. Hammer fixes both. So I got needle/seat/float issues. I haven't had chance to drive it. We have had death in family & way too much going on to mess with it.

Once running it idles fine in the driveway, revs up fine too.

I eventually will just buy a new carb, hopefully one not from China.

Bucky

Comment

My carb is worn out too. Hard to start, hard to keep adjusted. Last I checked you can get a rebuilt/refurbished one from NAPA or Rockauto for about $200.

Sorry about your loss. Even tougher now in these times...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thank you.

I would do more with this truck if I had an indoor place to work on it. Its too tall to fit into my garage.

I would have already have swapped in my 440, except it's require a tall shop & overhead hoist. Plus time, which seems to be even harder to come by than money.

Bucky

Comment

Well last Sat (11-7) I charged the battery, primed the carb (twice) & got her to running. I added a couple of gallons of fresh gas from my lawn mower jug. Let her idle & warm up for about 10 minutes. The air temperature was pleasant 70 degrees.

I decided to drive it. I babied it through the gears, doing my accelerating through 2nd & 3rd, then going easy in 4th/5th. Surprisingly it ran fine, no stumble no bog, just those huge bias ply tires shaking me to death.

No visible gas leaks.

I ventured down to the closest gas station. I wanted to go to one that had ethanol free fuel but it was over 2 miles away & I didn't trust getting that far from the nest, especially on the busy road it takes to get there & back. So I wheeled into closest station, left it running & filled it up.

I couldn't believe it but it held over 19 gallons. I never knew the in-cab tank was that big, previously 12 was the most I had ever put in it. So I suspect some of my problem was from being at the bottom of the barrel. It had been maybe a year since I had filled it up. I guess over a year's time you can use up a tank of gas just starting & running an engine for 4-5 minutes once a week.
                    Back when I drove it regularly I'd top it off every month but that never took more than 5-6 gallons. I never knew the capacity of the in-cab tank. I suspected 15-18 at most. Maybe it's 20-22.

The sending unit is bad. I've never taken the time to try to remove it. I have found new ones online & they ain't cheap.

Maybe tomorrow I will start it & drive it again. It needs a few little things replaced like a headlight & clearance lamp bulbs. And the exhaust is rotted off just after the muffler.

I just don't have time/energy/money to mess with it much.

Bucky

Comment

That will be an easy fix if that's all it is. Hope so. I seem to not have the time/energy/money thing going on too... But if you'll pay to have it hauled over here I'll take it off your hands for you! I've always admired those beasts.
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Out here in Southern California, the gasoline deteriorates rapidly. It’s generally warmer here, so that may contribute to the problem.

I have seen carbureted motorcycles and cars have obvious issues, especially starting, with gas 6 months old.

You have had problems with the fuel pump and carb; but you may find that trying to correct performance problems without clean, fresh fuel will be very frustrating. Draining a tank is a pain, but why struggle extra?

You could also connect a 2-gallon gas can to the pump temporarily and dive it to see if it runs noticeably better.

Comment

Actually draining the most of the tank is easy. It's an in-cab tank, the truck sets very high so getting siphon action going at a point in the fuel line just upstream from the pump isn't a problem, just slow.

I plan to run it a tad in the morning before family responsibilities & the holiday take over.

Bucky

Comment

So on Thanksgiving I primed the carb, started it & let her run a few minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to fully warm up & really needs this to run smooth & properly. Just doesn't act right when cold. Runs great when at operating temperature.

Today I primed the carb & fired it up. Before it was fully warm I released the throttle & it died. Tried re-cranking but wouldn't fire until I poured a splash of gas in it, then fired right up.

So my accelerator pump isn't doing it job, or something (float) is out of adjustment. I think my chinese fuel pump is doing its job, not that I trust it.

I'm in a holding pattern as to spending money on correcting this & other issues. Same thing with our house. Now it not the time to be dropping money on non-essentials.

Bucky

Comment

Maybe dump in some fuel stabilizer, cut off the fuel and run it til it starves? Battery on a trickle charge. Then it should be ready for you when time/money allows...
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X