No announcement yet.

My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using that blue fuel stabilizer .Can't think of name but has something to do with enzymes?

Bucky

Comment

Today was an adventure. It is 20 degrees here in the middle of the day. Rarely gets this cold & then its only around dawn & for just a few hours. We have been below freezing since Monday afternoon. Five days below freezing is probably a record. It will get below zero tomorrow night, something that hasn't happened since 1989. May not get above freeing until next Friday, I don't think it has been this cold for this long in my lifetime.

Anyways,
      I primed the carb & fired the W600 up. Let it run about 2000 rpm by setting the throttle. It will not idle lower than this until the engine is warm. It took 10-15 minutes to get up to the bottom of the "normal" operating temperature. Still wouldn't idle without some coaxing or use of the throttle. I hopped in for a spin & to top off the tank. I made it to the closest redlight about 5 blocks away. It died at the light, I am out of practice using 2 feet to operate 3 pedals. I cranked a bit, no luck. Hopped out, waved traffic around, grabbed my little spare gas can that I smartly brought, popped the hood, climbed to bumper to splash in some gas (no breather), slammed hood, climbed back in while cussing & praying, hit the key & luckily got it going. I'm proud of my old battery. I should switch to duals like I had in my W200, just to have more time to crank.

I drove it down to gas station, careful to not kill it. This would no be possible if not for the manual transmission. I set the throttle & left it running at the pump while I topped it off & one of my jugs too.

The drive home went ok, this whole trip was maybe 2 or so miles, but at these temps I don't want to venture any distance that I can't safely walk.

While at home it died again. And again I had to prime it to get it going. I tried monkeying with the carb. The idle mixture screws are stuck. I finally got one to turn while a set of pliers. Screwdrivers don't grip well enough. One thing I noticed was the the idle adjustment (throttle blades) is almost out of adjustment. I'm ready to toss this Carter BBD in the trash. I think it has lived its life. It is old & worn. My rebuild job probably isn't up to snuff either.

My plan was to have this truck road worthy in case I need it for Monday's blizzard. But I do not trust it. I should have been addressing this all along, but between my job, life, money & dealing with my parents 125 miles away, it just didn't get done. My dad died of cancer 2 weeks ago. His life took priority over my carburetor issues.

I did add some Star Brite Star*tron fuel treatment.

I hate February. Always has. It's by far the longest month of the year.

Bucky

Comment

Last night we got an additional 7 inches of snow to go on top of the 7 we got Sunday/Monday. I knew my Astrovan wasn't going to cut it, so this morning I fired up the ol Dodge, after cleaning all that snow off the hood/roof/windows & splashing some gas in her. I let it warm up at fast idle for over 10 minutes, then hit the road. The choke was very important in today's operation. As the truck would speed up the wind through the radiator would lower the temp just enough to cause a few adjustments while driving. I never made it to 5th gear, city streets were just too bad to get up to 25-30 mph. I did shift the tcase into 4x4, which added some more noise to the equation. This thing is way past a lube job, the differentials, tcase & tranny all probably could use some oil. Shifting wasn't the best.

Truck drove beautifully through the snow. Got a few thumbs ups too.

I suspect my clutch is out of adjustment. Can't get into granny low without a fight, plenty of grinding. Reverse grinds too but is doable.

I didn't trust this thing enough to kill it on either of the 2 stops I made on way home. I use the throttle to keep her at a fast idle. When I'm not aboard. Luckily with the heavy snow I can leave her running in neutral with worry of rolling away. Parking brake doesn't hold much.

I topped her off with some 93 octane NON-ethanol gas ($3.29/gal). I didn't need the higher octane but that was the only gas that station had available.

Tomorrow may be slicker so I might decide to drive it again.

Bucky

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
          Matthew Welcher PWA commented
          Editing a comment
          That is fantastic. I could hear and feel the truck as I read this. Thank you for sharing

Hey Bucky:

it really sounds to time like you have a crappy carb and crappy gas.

Firstly, I urge you to not only drain the tank, but also remove it and clean it out.

Secondly, if this was my truck, I would replace the carb with a reman unit from a rebuilder with a high review rating. Or, a new, American-made unit. I can help you search, if you like.

Here’s a thread on a Mopar site about reman carbs:
        https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...-carbs.431021/

-Ken

PS: I reconditioned the original carb on my ‘73 and with the factory electronic ignition, it runs GREAT! If you still have your old carb, you can send it to me and I will recondition it if it’s not too worn or damaged, if you pay the shipping both ways and for the rebuild kit.

Comment

It's mostly the gas. Truck sat up too long. That 19 or so gallons of gas (ethanol) I put in it in November for first gas I had put in it in probably a year. I'm finally wising up & replacing that with straight gas. It'll be Summer before I try removing the tank. The carb is doing better. The last 3 times I started the truck I didn't have to prime it, just pump it several times, set the choke & hit the key. In the 10 degree weather I learned how to use the choke pretty good, know when to close it a bit & when to open it a bit. I had gotten used to Summertime where I leave it wide open as soon as the engine is running.

I have been reading/studying/watching videos on ethanol & all those additives. Learned alot about how it attracts water, which turns into such a corrosive mess, particularly to rubber & aluminum.

Bucky

Comment

Sorry to learn about your father. Hope things are smoothing out for you now.

Ethanol is bad stuff down here too, especially in boats (lots of moisture, lots of sitting idle). Glad the truck performed when you needed it. It was in it's element then (even if you weren't!) We had some friends out there visiting family and they said as bad as it was, it was predicted to be worse...

We got about a week of "bad" weather for here too. Snow then ice then more snow (a whopping 6"!!) then it started to melt only to refreeze again! First time I've swapped on the studded tires in a decade or so for the M880 and even had to chain up the XJ. Only way to get around on ice pack.

Keep us updated.
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thank you!

Luckily we missed the ice. Just lots of snow & 10 days of record bitter cold weather.

Since the switch to "real" gasoline my W600 starts right up without any battery boost or priming of the carb. Just poke the gas pedal several times before & during cranking. This likely wouldn't be needed if it wasn't always a week between starts. Of course 60 degree temps are more favorable for good cranking speed & healthy fire than -7.

Bucky

Comment

Glad to hear the truck is much more reliable

should be able to stretch its legs regularly!

Comment

Yes it's doing ok. I don't drive it a whole lot in this heat. Black trucks with all metal cabs, no insulation, no tint, no flooring, get toasty.

I got another fuel line leak, section of rubber/neoprene hose between pump & inline filter. I'm certain I upgraded that to some that is supposed to hold up to ethanol, but still yet seems like I'm fixing some sort of gas leak every few months.

Bucky

Comment

Today I replaced the short section of leaky rubber fuel hose, charged the battery, primed the carb, fired it right up & let it warm up to full operating temperature. Sounded pretty good. Also I topped off the radiator.

Probably will be replacing the battery this fall. I have too many projects going on at this time plus all my regular chores (yard, pool) so it seems like progress is hardly visible.

Bucky

Comment

And this past week has been the hottest for us all Summer. We are nailing 100 every day. Which I guess is in perfect timing with historical trends.

Bucky

Comment

The Hot weather seems to help find any weak areas.
                        1967 W200.aka.Hank
                        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Including people!
                          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

The heat is a mixed blessed. The downside is we have to keep the A/C cranked at home resulting in another monster electric bill, and still too hot to finish projects like carb reinstallation on my roto-tillers.

The plus is the pool is still warm enough to swim in each afternoon, which is good for my sore tired back.

Haven't driven the W600 in the past several weeks, but I did start it yesterday.

Bucky

Comment

Well here we are 1 year later & I thought I would give an update since the situation is back again.

Over the past year I don't think I ever got the W600 out on the streets. Our Winter had some cold & snow in February, but I just stayed home instead of bothering with getting out in it "to prove I could". I never bothered getting it out for a Saturday morning drive to the gas station. My mom passed away this February, exactly 365 days after Dad. So her failing health & passing left me with no time to spare in 2021-22 either.

Anyways the truck would start weekly if I poured some gas in it. And I would splash some non-ethanol into the tank from time to time. But the hard to start & stuck needle issues returned.

I removed the Carter BBD. The cup on the accelerator pump was distorted & mangled. The needle was sticking & the inside of the carb, although not dirty wasn't pristine either. Time for a another rebuild or replacement. I had considered a Holley but those require an adaptor so I'm not going that route.

And if it cools off (still 100 degrees here today) I'm going to remove the seat & try to wrestle that tank out. I worry about damaging the lines or filler neck.

Today with the carb off I bumped the key just to see if fuel was coming out of the line. It was and the gas, oil, gunk atop the intake manifold ignited. I should have disconnected the coil. Had some scary moments there but got it put out. It did melt some vacuum hoses & wire insulation so I will be redoing all that too.

Ken I may be in contact about that rebuild!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X