No announcement yet.

My W600 almost stranded me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 13 months after I ordered it, I get a call from Joe Hunt Magneto this week saying that my magneto is ready & should be here by Friday.

Not sure if I even want to install it now. I did get most of the factory wiring replaced. Maybe after I get to fuel problems fixed.

My no run issues are gas related. The pump is not doing squat. And the needle/seat doesn't want to let anything into the carb. I tried gravity feeding the carb, no luck.

Bucky

Comment

I received my magneto today. Beautiful......and expensive.

I'm not going to bother with installing it until I get the fuel situation corrected.

Bucky

Comment

I made significant progress Saturday. I bought another cheap parts store $35 Chinese made fuel pump & got it installed. Before I hooked up the fuel hose to the new pump. I disconnected the vent hose at the tank & stuck a temporary hose in its place to blow through. I had to seal off the filler hole with tape. I was able to blow into the tank & pressure it enough to force all the air out of the lines & get fuel all the way to the new pump, then later up to the carb. After charging the battery & further priming the carb I was able to start the engine & let it run for about 5 minutes. I had to use the throttle to keep it running while I tweaked the carb. This is the first time the engine has ran for any length of time since the carb rebuild.

Of course now with a working fuel pump I have a few gas leaks to fix. I will replace all the little flexible hose sections with new & properly sized pieces of ethanol resistant hose even though I never intend to use any ethanol fuel in it again. I will get new clamps too. I have a bad habit of just using whatever size & type of hose I have on hand instead of the proper diameter needed. This causes leaks.

Yesterday was a busy day with family activities and now it's too cold & windy to mess with, so it will be a while before I pop the hood.

I need a new battery, top off all the drivetrain fluids & to add some more pure gasoline before I attempt to drive it.

Bucky

Comment

Congratulations on getting the truck running. It is a great feeling when they run for some time.

Comment

Yes it is Todd. I hate to let anything set, even a lawn mower or edger.

I still intend to someday get a Carter or Holley pump, but for now the knock-off brand will do.

We are entering the coldest part of the year ( I guess everyone in the Northern Hemisphere can say that) so my opportunities to work on it are at a low.

I know I have been nursing that weak battery since this thread began 3 years ago, but no point in getting a new one until I intend to drive this thing regularly again.

Bucky

Comment

Today I replaced the inline fuel filter, adjoining hoses/clamps & started up the engine. Was running rough, super rich, I could see fuel on top of the manifold. I killed it, tightened the inlet then pecked on the bowl by the needle/seat to possibly unstick it......when I got it started the second time it ran much smoother, no over rich smoke. It still doesn't want to idle very well & I am about out of adjustment. I left the throttle set & let the engine run about 10 minutes at a high idle. I need to add some fresh gas, finish wiring up the alternator.

The new fuel filter is one of those clear ones & it's nice to see it FULL of CLEAN gas. It's also nice to have a somewhat running engine that isn't spraying or dripping gasoline everywhere.

I had intended to replace more of the flexible fuel line, but I think the hose I bought today is rubber junk made for transmission hose & not gas, despite my have specifically asking for ethanol resistant fuel hose.

Bucky

Comment

I accidently fixed my hard to start problem and "cold natured" issue that for years I'd been blaming on the old worn Carter carb. The other day, with temps in the single digits I went out to find a "no start". It would crank but not fire. Checked for spark and found none. So I did the electrical trouble shoot and determined it was the ECM. I had one on a parts truck, swapped it out and it fired up. Ordered a new USA made one and now it fires almost instantly. The hesitation etc until warmed up is gone too.

Hopefully your new electrical parts will make magic too.
                1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I charged the battery, primed the carb, pecked on it to jar anything loose then started it up. It ran fairly smooth. I let it run for a good bit. Carb & stock ignition seem to be doing their job. I even got the alternator wired up & charging correctly. Only thing left would be the turn signals.

Still haven't installed the magneto. I have to measure & cut the plug wires for it.

I did remove the inline coolant heater & replaced with just a solid heater hose. I will remove thermostat next along with some vacuum switches in the intake manifold & replace with plugs.

It seems all our good weather falls on workdays & we have cruddy weather on weekends. 50's/60's/70's during week, 20's/30's on weekend. Plus never ending wind.

KBR64 where did you find an American made ECM?

Bucky

Comment

I hear you on the weather, snow and barely above freezing this weekend. Sunny and 60s by mid week...

The wind - one reason I could never live out west, I can't stand the wind.

After much searching, I found that Jegs has a Made in USA ECM. I had to buy the high rpm model but so far, so good. I need to order another now, just in case.
                    555-40805: Blue Ignition Control Unit - JEGS | 7,500 RPM Module | Mopar Ignition Module - JEGS

Dad was in the hospital all last week and while staying there I finally turned the TV on and found the weather channel. Saw an ad for a show called something like... Extreme Truckers maybe? It showed a '70s W400 or so Dodge with a pickup bed on it, stepside I think. We don't have a TV at home so I have no idea what the show is about but would like to see that Dodge in action. I think a lady was driving it. The TV is so fast these days you hardly get to look at anything plus there's all this stuff in boxes and scrolling going on... geez...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of a blue ECM, only black, gold or orange. No idea where anything is made anymore.

Yes, it was 25 this morning, will hit 80 by Wednesday.

I hope your father recovers from his hospital stay.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks Bucky. He's moved to a rehab center now so hopefully he'll regain his mobility and even eventually return home.
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

This past weekend I got the thermostat removed, got the cooling system filled back up & the engine started. I let it run for about 15 minutes which is about the longest I have let it run in a couple of years. I plan to address getting the intermediate & rear driveshafts in phase with each other, plus top off all the lubricant in the transmission, t-case, & both differentials.

Bucky

Comment

I have been starting the engine every other weekend. Charge battery, toss in a little gas, crank it & let her run a bit.

It won't idle without using the throttle set to about 2000 rpm (cold) then finally about 1200 (warm). Sometimes it's smooth, usually it's not. Today was one of those days.

Since I use fresh non-ethanol fuel I know it's not a problem with the gas itself, just the carb. Timing/ignition has not changed nor been touched since I bought the truck 13 years ago. Plugs aren't that old but I will replace them in the near future.

I have been looking at replacement carburetors online. It doesn't look promising. All appear to be poorly built Chinese knock-offs with horrible reviews.

Money is tight these days, but so is time. T-ball season started up for one of the grandsons. Also, I have mowed the yard 7 times this year. Busy, busy, busy. Never have any energy left for the truck.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                            X