No announcement yet.

w-100 restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i guess i got some reaL soul searching to do. thanks for the schooling dr. pepper.

while removing the manifold studs, i broke 2 bolts off in the head... lol

Comment

I think i found a np435 to replace my old one.

The one i am looking at has casting #c95711
      mine has casting #c91761

both appear to be identicle, both 10 spline...

anyone know if this would work im having a bit of a hard time running the cast numbers to see if they are interchangeable.

guy selling says its dodge im getting ford from the number

the one im looking at says it is a 1963 model mine is a 1968...

Comment

got all the internal parts for the transmission, turns out it is a np420, lucky for me i noticed the vintagepowerwagons website advertised on this site. was able to order my gears, i also got the floors ordered just need to get to the bank to deposit some cash, correct starter comes friday. I am on the hunt for some chevy tahoe seats to put in the truck.

I found a casting number on my rearend its a 8 3/4 dodge i just need to get back under the truck and see if the gearing is cast somewhere. the cast number i got off the drivers side is 2070741
        dr peper i see you said the 2:94 gearing worked well with the 435 you had i imagine the 2:94 should also do well with the 420?

Thanks to gordon I had a place to get great info and make a few contacts. i made sure to donate some money to the site via paypal.

Comment

Both could have the same ratios....homework time

The 8.75 rear end may have a tag off one of the bolts with the ratio # on it. They have a tendancy to get lost so the best way is to jack up one wheel, disconnect the drive shaft and count the pinion turns until the wheel maks 1/2 a turn. (or count a wheel full turn and divide the pinoin turns by 2) I think that is correct as the spider gears cut the turns by 50% with one wheel on the ground.
          The other thing you need to do is count the turns for the trans gearing. That will make sure the your using are accurate. Masking tape and a felt pen help this task. Shift into 1st and turn the input until the output is one full turn. That is your ratio.
          The 420 and 435 are both 1:1 in 4th gear, so it is the 1st and 2nd gear that your playing with. I settled on a 2:94 after pages of calculations on ratios. I used a disk calculator I got from Isky Cams to give me the engine rpm vs. tire speed. There are web sites with calculators so doing a spread sheet is easy. Measure your tire diameter and choose what rpm you want the engine to run at when your going 65 mph. Your engine will have a sweet spot, used to be about 1/2 to 2/3 of the rpm range. I learned that the cam/engine set up to drive train makes a huge difference. I got sold what was supposed to be a "stock" cam and it was actually a HP grind with little torque, terrible. I swapped it for an Isky "Mile-A-More" RV cam, 4500 rpm max, torque at 600rpm but an absolute pleasure to drive.
          Calculate your off idle engine speed (ie 1000 rpm) at 5, 20, 30 mph in 1st gear with the tire sizes and differential ratios you want. This will give you a handle on what your off the line performance will be. Then get the vehicle speed at max rpm, say 3500-4000, now you know where the engine will be when 1st gear signs off. Then do it again in 2nd gear so you know how that gear will perform.
          I used paper and pencil when I did mine in 1973?? Today I would use a nice Excel spreadsheet to do the calcs.
          The 8.75 is a drop out differential, pull the axles and bolts and it falls on the ground. Provided your is a 3:90-4:56 ratio, todays hot rodders all want 4:56+ ratio for the high rpm engines to drag race. Your after the wrecked 1974 NewYorker with the 2:94 rear end. Nnnooobody wants that one. Watch on line /e-bay and you might find one for sale. Don't try to replace the ring and pinion in yours, get your truck up and sorted out with a wrecking yard unit and sell your high ratio unit for good cold cash.
          Next, your speedometer will be off, way off, I found and used a little accessory gear box (screwed onto the speedo cable at the trans) that used to be made for "matching" since the speedo drive output is fixed. It took 2 of the gear boxes to match the 2:94 but worked perfect. Today I have no idea where to get them.

Well this should keep you busy for a few hours. Have fun...!!
          DrPepper

Comment

I guess I am a packrat....

This is 1 of 3 pages I had tucked in a file folder from the '66 TW I had and sold.
            My NP435 had a 4:56 1st gear, 2.28 2nd, 1.31 3rd, and 1:1 in 4th
            2:94 rear, 28" tire diameter
            1st gear at 10 mph = 805 rpm
            55 mph
            4th gear = 1940 rpm
            3rd gear = 2541 rpm
            2nd gear = 4423 rpm
            70 mph
            4th gear = 2470 rpm
            I hauled a heavy trailer from Fla to LA never missed a beat. No brakes on the trailer never had a problem with control. Sway bars at both ends.
            Could bury the speedo with no problem, not with the trailer LOL
            Attached Files

Comment

that is great info! thanks. got lots if reading to do.

really liked the pic. the sunroof is sweet. love old photos. cant wait to see my little one running towards my 63 to go for a ride.

my daughter (she is 8) asked me the other day why I would buy a truck that does not run. I told her the townie was what kind of car was around when her grandpa was a kid hoping to get her jazzed on the project. she replied," Dad they make new cars now and when you buy them they work" lol

Comment

What you don't see on that truck....is

it had A/C with a Sears under dash unit, overhead music/radio console with AM/FM/8 track and 6 speakers, CB, 40 gal gas tank + 13 gal OEM tank, bucket seats and a shag carpet headliner. A curtain ran across behind the seats so the A/C was very effective. Dash was wrinkle finish black with black naugahide covered instrument panel.
                Second love and I still miss her.....
                DrPepper

Comment

It sounds like it was a good rig to you.

Comment

found this calculator

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator

Comment

When she goes for a ride without seatbelts she will be converted to an old truck lover. A set of straight pipes would probably help too LOL..

Comment

it's for the Drag racers.....but, that's it....

need to find one that has higher rear ratios and idle less than 850 rpm LOL.

I did have seat belts on the '66's buckets

DP

Comment

Been a minute since i have had time to post. My truck is in paint and body. Floor was all replaced and rhino lined the whole floor from inside of the firewall back. The inside of the truck should be shot with paint by the end of the weekend. I ordered the glass seals and have most of the rubber stripping ready to go. Transmission was all rebuilt, new clutch, radiator, gas tank was hot dipped and resealed.

I am very happy so far with the progress as of lately. Still need to wire the whole townie,buy seats, stain and fit the wood floor in the back, shackles for the leaf springs, exhaust from header collector back and some misc stuff

Wish i would have started this project with a better shell, under the floor in front my cab mounts were shot it cost me a pretty penny to get the floors done in this thing.

Comment

Comment

Looking real nice. Did you have the entire floor replaced? Nice work. What color are you going with? The headliner will be a job and a half trust me been there done that. Keep it up waiting to see the finished product.

Comment

Floor Pan

I have a 1960 Power Giant I am also in the process of restoring. Where did you find your floor pans? The only place I could find them no longer makes them. Can you still get them? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X