Taking the Plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the Plunge

Well, I'm finally going to do it! I'm buying a 1967 PW Sweptline W200 long bed this weekend! I know it needs some work but I just have to have one.... Anyway, if anybody has any good advice, let me know. I'll try to get pics later.

Mike

Study up on brakes & wiring!

Bucky

Comment

Will do.... Thanks Bucky

Comment

Missing a tailgate

The '67 PW Sweptline I'm buying is missing a tailgate. I'd like to eventually get one someplace... What years do the tailgates fit? Anyone have any info?

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Sweptline (widebed) from late 65 to 68, possibly 71. I just scrapped a 66 long sweptline bed today, with the tailgate.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by medic1241 View Post
            Well, I'm finally going to do it! I'm buying a 1967 PW Sweptline W200 long bed this weekend! I know it needs some work but I just have to have one.... Anyway, if anybody has any good advice, let me know. I'll try to get pics later.

Mike
            Pie Plate Sweptlines are cool! I picked up a '65 W200 Utiline last November
            and can't wait to get it on the road in a month or so. Assuming yours to be
            a long wide box, a mid-65 through '69 gate will work. Sometime in '70 [for
            the '71 model], the embossed DODGE lettering was dropped from the tailgate.
            [You can "technically use a '70 or '71 gate though.]

As for advice, don't skimp on the hydraulics.... brakes or clutch. If you can
            afford it, buy the stainless lined clutch master & slave cylinder. There is a
            guy over on www.dodgesweptline.org who can help you out with a source.
            Try to score a Factory Service Manual [FSM] on ebay.... they're usually a
            couple listed. If not, you can get one at www.autobooksbishko.com
            Give your lock-outs a thorough inspection, lube up everything on the truck
            and change all the fluids if you don't have service records from the previous
            owner. Give all of your drive shafts and u-joints a thorough inspection too.
            Most of all.... enjoy your new truck....
            John

Comment

Great advice! Thanks, John

Keep it coming...

Mike

Comment

Be sure to include it on the sweptline registry, if it's not already there......Then browse through the various trucks & notice the differences between yr models. This helps when you go salvage hunting.

bucky

Comment

I've thought about that. I'll register it this evening. Thanks, Mike

Comment

Pics of my '67

I spoke with a neighbor today about working on my PW this summer. Here are a few pics.

Mike
                    Attached Files

Comment

A few more...

Getting dark here....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Fairly straight ol bird! I see someone has already put tubular headers on it, saves you the headache of doing it.

good find.

Bucky

Comment

Does anyone know what the red light may be for on the dash?

Mike

Comment

Thanks Bucky...

Comment

I believe the red light is a brake warning light, if I recall on the driver's side frame just ahead of the firewall there's a brake line "t" that has a sensor on it. I just picked up my 67 W200 a year ago and it's amazing how beefy it is compared to my 74 W200. If your truck has the larger 5380 Detroit u-joints, they're incredibly strong, but I wasn't able to order them through my local parts houses, found a supplier online that was able to get Spicers through the factory so I'm glad I ordered them before I needed them.

Good luck on the truck, looks like it has potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X