I Need Another Chain Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Another Chain Saw

I'm looking for a good chain saw and would like to ask the forum members what they think is the best.

I own a Mcculloch saw now, but it's resting in the shed along with it's Mcculloch brothers the weed trimmers (lets just say they are retired). They are just not the saw I used 30 years ago when I was a tree trimmer.

I'm considering buying a STIHL, but can't decide on the model. Is the STIHL a good choice..? I need it to have at least a 16" bar, possible up to 20". I have a small 12" saw now for trimming, but need something bigger.

All input is appreciated...and open to other manufactures.

Thanks

I like my Jonsered 625. Always starts and is comefortable to use for extended periods. I have a 16" bar in it but it will take a 20 if you want.
    Tim
    57 Power Wagon
    Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
    57 W-100
    60 W-100
    51 M37
    61 Triumph TR-3A
    80 Triumph Spitfire
    09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
    05 Subaru Outback
    10 speed bike
    Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

I have three Stihl saws, an 009, a 260 and a 460. They have been excellent saws.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

You know how shy I am...

....so I will say this just once, Stihl is the saw that Professionals use, Stihl is the saw that workes the best, Stihl is the saw that starts the fastest, cuts the longest, runs the smoothest. I have a 32" bar, it is the sweetest saw I have ever used, easily cuts four-6 cords a day, day after day after day.
        Once I was cutting at my folks place in the Sierra's, I left a half tank of fuel in the saw thinking I was coming back the next day. A life crisis happened and it was 5 years before I came back. The saw started on the second pull, bad fuel and all.
        I've used this saw for nearly 30 years, for firewood, beam cutting on construction sites and artistic carving, it has NEVER let me down. You can save money buying a lesser saw but you'll buy three or four junk saws when you could have bought a Stihl and got it right the first time.
        Other than that, I have no opinion.....Happy Thanksgiving!
        MN

Comment

Re: You know how shy I am...

Originally posted by MoparNorm
          ....so I will say this just once, Stihl is the saw that Professionals use, Stihl is the saw that workes the best, Stihl is the saw that starts the fastest, cuts the longest, runs the smoothest. I have a 32" bar, it is the sweetest saw I have ever used, easily cuts four-6 cords a day, day after day after day.
          Once I was cutting at my folks place in the Sierra's, I left a half tank of fuel in the saw thinking I was coming back the next day. A life crisis happened and it was 5 years before I came back. The saw started on the second pull, bad fuel and all.
          I've used this saw for nearly 30 years, for firewood, beam cutting on construction sites and artistic carving, it has NEVER let me down. You can save money buying a lesser saw but you'll buy three or four junk saws when you could have bought a Stihl and got it right the first time.
          Other than that, I have no opinion.....Happy Thanksgiving!
          MN
          What model is that old saw?

Comment

I like Stihl, and have had good luck with them. Plus, I have a great dealer.

Having said all that. The two leaders of the pro world are Stilhl and Husqvarna. Jonsered is essentially a Husqvarna, so they are great, too.

You need to get around some of these saws and look at them, feel them, pick them up. Compare similar models. When I bought my third saw I almost bought a Husqvarna, as they are highly regarded and offer some good features.

Back to the dealer issue, that can make the difference. If the nearest dealer is 60 miles away, or if your local dealer is a farm supply store that has no capable service, then that may prove to be a deciding factor.

Also check out this site:

http://www.arboristsite.com

Go to the chainsaw forum, do a lot of reading, then do some searches, and you will find much to stimulate your thought process.

Then come back and tell us what you are thinking....

Comment

Re: I Need Another Chain Saw

Originally posted by bosco
              I'm looking for a good chain saw and would like to ask the forum members what they think is the best.

I own a Mcculloch saw now, but it's resting in the shed along with it's Mcculloch brothers the weed trimmers (lets just say they are retired). They are just not the saw I used 30 years ago when I was a tree trimmer.

I'm considering buying a STIHL, but can't decide on the model. Is the STIHL a good choice..? I need it to have at least a 16" bar, possible up to 20". I have a small 12" saw now for trimming, but need something bigger.

All input is appreciated...and open to other manufactures.

Thanks

What do you see as your diameter range requirement, meaning.... the size of the piece of wood you would typically cut? ....and maximum diameter?

Comment

Re: Re: You know how shy I am...

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
                What model is that old saw?
                I think (we're in uncharted waters here) that is is an AVE 032.
                32 inch bar, I have felled trees up to 4' diameter but that is a trick for ONLY a professional, do NOT try that at home! ha!ha!
                I am not as good as some who can set a stake into the ground and then drive the stake home with the falling tree.

Good questions, Gordon, as with any tool, the intended purpose is more important than what is on sale! You don't want to over kill, but you don't want to be left with a tool not up to the task either.
                MN

Comment

I have quite a collection of vintage saws, mostly pro model McCulloch and Homelite. It is a true statement that you just can't find saws like these old ones.

My current problem is in finding PARTS for these great old machines!? Even the real biggie dealers that have old stock can't get them, and then it's what the market will bear on leftovers from private parties and scalpers. I will rebuild several over time, as they are still some of the best saws money can buy, but it isn't going to be cheap by any means.

Which brings me to Stihl. The name kinda says it all: 'STILL'. They have parts available all over the world and that will matter a lot 10-30 years from now when it's 'still' running and cutting wood. As a Pro saw the support on parts is excellent, if you have a Pro model.

I purchased a brand new Husqy, but was short on the old jingola. I got their # 2 or #3 from the bottom. I had it throw the chain at full bore 5 times. That's near 15,000 rpm. Took it back, the guy supposedly fixed it, and then it threw the chain 3 more times. Took it back, the guy trued the bar, changed the chain and did some other things. Threw the chain 6 more times. "Hey, Bubba, here's your Husqy back, while I've still got a face and legs left."

I got a couple of new chains for my 1967 Homelite and finished the season in grand style. Even after 35 years the tach readout on the Homie was a solid 14,000 anytime, anywhere!

Husqy makes very good saws, at the pro level. So do Stihl and Johnsered. My suggestion is to go to the highest level of Pro saw you can possibly afford and at least one size larger than the wood you plan to cut if possible. If it's a price toss up between a smaller Pro model and a larger 'home' type, go with the smaller Pro, 'cause it will cut rings around the homestyle, for years and years.

The bad Husqy was a home/contractor type saw, and not a Pro piece. I don't knock Pro Husqy at all, as they are a very good saw. If I was going to buy a brand new Pro saw today I'd go Stihl or Husqy, in that order. No experience with Johnsered, so???
                  JimmieD

Comment

Chain saws

My first "chain saw" was a Wright Power Blade that my father was unable to get started. I got it going, but it was an awkward thing to use. Eventually I progressed to Stihls. I had at one time an 041 (among others) that I operated on an almost daily basis for 13 years before I finally broke a casting. I wore out many a bar but when it died it still had the original plug in it. It was one of the most productive pieces of machinery I've ever owned. Various friends in the logging biz have told me the Jonserads and Huskys are good machines too, but I've never dared "mess with success." I personally think a 20" bar will cover the most situations unless you do plan on either doing a ton of pruning or logging large diameter timber. That 041 passed on a good dozen years ago and I still miss it!

Comment

It has been explained to me that Husqvarna makes the Jonsered saws, and they look extremely similar.

Comment

Thanks guys, there's some great info here. Having a good dealer is a very good point. There is one not far from me and they have a great service department. I have been there several times and looked at a few of the Stihl saws. The guys there are very helpful and know a great deal about the products they sale and service.

I didn't think of going with one of the pro models, but that does make sense. I know that they are better made and would hold up longer.

I gotten by in the past with most of the cutting I do with the 16" bar. I do perfer that size since I feel more comfortable with it. There have been times the larger bar would have made it easier though. Anything needing over a 20" bar I would call in my buddy, who works with saws as a prosfession. I do not climb trees anymore, especially with a saw. My buddy has a bucket and man does that make things easier.

Stihl is the saw that I am going to buy. Once I get to the dealers, I'll look over the different pro models and also some of their mid range saws and then make that decision.

Say, thanks Gordon for that website link ...... I'll check it out in more detail in the next few days.

Thanks again,

Comment

Look at the MS260, a really great pro saw, and often described as the saw you would use the most if you owned it....

Comment

I have 25 acres, 20 of them in "eastern forest trees". I heat partially with wood, and have been cutting wood for 20 years. Most of my buildings are built with lumber from trees I have cut with a Stihl saw and the logs cut at the local Mennonite sawmill.
                            I went with Stihl because of the reputation and the fact I have a local shop that can take care of it. They have been great. Stihl really supports their dealers well. If I was just a "homeowner", I may have considered a cheaper saw, but because of how I use it, I wanted a high quality saw.
                            Get a slightly bigger saw than you think you need. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Stihl & Jonsered

I've used both of these when I was in the grading business. I think both are quality saws as we put them to the ACID test cutting right-of-way. This is a tough & demanding job, usually in a very dirty environment. I would highly recommend either brand. I have used other brands as well, but didn't get nearly as good a service from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X