I Need Another Chain Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Norm!

Thanks for the Peroxide tip; but on the Clorox I'm only talking about 1/2 ounce total for both tootsies. You're right about chlorine, but this amount is pretty negligible. Does open up the sinuses a bit though....

As to up my way where I live: as near as I can tell it may well be the 'WEIRD' capital of the western world.

The tan oak has a very open grain structure as you know, plus it can have a lot of resin like live oak. Live oak really punishes saws in northern California. Tan oak has a very pungent odor when cut, plus a large amount of natural sap and moisture in it. Ive had it gushing pretty good while cutting whole trees. After standing cut, I can well imagine just what you say about the water gushing out.

The valley is best for oak, as it's somewhat rare up here at alpine level. We have heavy conifers from 3,000 up to about 8,000 feet then it thins out some. It's all gone at 11,000 to 12,000 feet for the most part. Most folks use lodge pole pine, as it's very nearly a hard wood, and there's 18 other varieties of 'pines'. There's a big problem with the resin/sap in the conifers, and it's the number one cause of chimney fires.

Speaking of which: The very best way to extinguish a chimney fire is to toss only about 3/4 to 1 cup of water on the fire, and let the explosion of steam extinguish the flames. If it doesn't work the first time, add another 3/4 cup, so you don't put the fire out. This way you will still have a burning fire-fighting tool!

I'll refrain from political commentaries at this time, or at least in this place....

JimmieD
    Last edited by JimmieD; 12-01-2004, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Stihl or husqvarna are the only saws to buy. Both use European designed motors that are better than the other designs. Which brand the loggers use seems to be more regional than anything else.

The huskies tend to be lighter and the stihl easier to field repair. Take your choice, they are both great.

I use a small husky 45 for the majority of my work and a big stihl 034 when I need to cut up some big trees. Using a big saw all of the time can wear out an old back in no time.

Comment

I watched a very interesting show this afternoon on the History channel called Toolbox. The title of the program was Chainsaws. It gave the history of the saw and how it had developed over the years. The show also went into how the logging industry began to use the chainsaw and get away from the hand saws.

The Stihl saws were mostly used on the show and how they came into being. Some German fellow, named Stihl, back in the early 1900's (can't remember the year) came up with this lighter saw. There were other saws shown; diesel powered ones, 2 man saws, and even that big rig that can cut and strip the limbs off trees in a matter of minutes. But the chainsaw was first invented by some fellow out in California in 1905.

It was a very educational program and if you a chance to watch it, I know you will enjoy it.

Comment

If you buy anything other than a stihl your buying a hatchet!! Thanks Fleabag!!

Comment

Just bought the Stihl MS260Pro today. It's a great saw..! Just what I have been looking for. And to top it off, the dealer threw in the case, an extra chain, a 6 pak of engine oil, 4 quarts of bar oil and a pair of kelvar chaps.

I want to thank Gordon for suggesting that model to me.

Now I got some wood to cut..:)

Comment

I tried Homelite,and Poulan and found that these were good saws for weekenders or the once a month cutting but for daily use I bought a Stihl 023, 039, and for the big trees a 064, with 16, 20, and 36" bars. I could not believe the superior performance that these saws have over the cheeper ones. I've had these for over 10 years and wouldn't trade them for anything else thats out there. When I bought these I thought the price was kinda high but after using them for the first year with flawless performance I realized what a bargin I had really got when I bought them, and now after 10+ years of flawless performance I feel like I stole them. I can take any one of them and pull the rope twice and their running every time, thats rite, every time. You've been in the woods before where someone is out there pulling and pulling for 1/2 hour and there saw never starts, right away you know its not orange and white. The first time I filed the chain on the 039 it was 18 mouths old, the spark plugs are original on all 3 saws. If this doesn't have you running out to buy a new Stihl I don't know what would ever convince you. Good luck with your purchase. Gene

Comment

The above post was not signed off correctly, please forgive me.
                Gene
                48 Ford 8N
                52 M37
                53 M37
                60 F250 4x4 w/winch
                66 PWTW w/winch
                69 F150
                70 Yazoo mower 60" deck Wisconson 12 hp
                72 Dodge Camper Special
                81 Yazoo mower 60" deck Wisconson 14 hp
                82 W150-doner truck
                97 CTD 4x4 auto C/Cab
                98 Grand Cherokee
                99 Breeze
                00 Yamaha Kodiak 401 cc 4x4
                00 JD 4710 w/ loader
                02 Neon
                03 Neon
                1.75 HP Reo gas engine W gear reduction
                2.5 HP Continental comercial engine
                1.5 HP maytag gas engine
                064 Stihl
                039 Stihl
                023 Stihl

Comment

Gene,

Thanks for reminding me! I stihl (ha!ha!) have my original plug in my Stihl! I bought it in 1979, I just used it last week, I'm on my second chain, nothing comes close to cutting like that saw! I'd change that plug but it runs too good! The only problem that I have had is that the oil tank seals started leaking last week. You'd think that rubber would last longer than 26 years???? = )
                  MN

Comment

Chain saw

Within the past year I read a chain saw rating survey of pro loggers who rated Stihl and Husky as #1 and 2, but #3 was the Echo due to its reliability. Made in Japan - think of Honda/Toyota reliablilty in a chain saw. Over 20 years ago I bought an Echo, which is branded/labled as a John Deere, and it has been great, I highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                    X