M37 4bt Swap details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 4bt Swap details

I have a 53 M37 that I am looking forward to putting a diesel in and I want to know some of the finer details. All of the bread trucks I can find in my area have the turbo 400. I want to keep a manual tranny. I was thinking of using the SM465 because It seems as if would be the best all around in terms of cost and reliability. Is it possible to convert a auto truck to a manual? If so what parts do I need to get my hands on? Also what is the best way to connect the new tranny to my existing NP200? Is there anything I need to look out for in doing the swap other than the oil pan issue? There are so many great sites out there but either nobody got very technical or I just missed it. Any help will be greatly apppreciated.

I am doing the same swap on my 1963 M37 and I have done some research for the last several months and have talked to several knowledgable people with experience in this area. While I am by no means an authority on this swap, a few things that I have learned from others are:

1. Try to get a 4BTA engine if possible. These are aftercooled and produce more power than than non-aftercooled engines. Also, I have heard they are easier to increase the power and may be smoother in operation.

2. Due to the low RPM of these engines you may be better off with an overdrive transmission (5 speed) such as the NV4500 or ZF-s542. Depending what you intend to use the vehicle for, if you want highway speeds out of it you may even consider going to 4.89 gears.

3. I am planning on using the divorced NP200 with a 2WD NV4500 out of a dodge diesel. I'll let you know how it works out. One of the difficult items has been to find engine mount data or a source for prefab mounts.

4. Apparently the power steering pump on the 4BT has enough volume to run power steering and boosted brakes, which I am also trying to find more info on. By most accounts, both of those are worthwhile additions.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure you'll find plenty of good advice here, I look forward to seeing any other info in this area.

Comment

Overdrive

I thought breifly about putting an overdrive in it but it will be driven primarily in DE on roads where the speed limit is 55 and I am not sure I would want to go much faster than that with drum brakes and armstrong power steering. Are you planning to reuse the stock shaft to connect the NV4500 to your existing T case?

Comment

Use a Spicer 3053a transmission. They have OD and a Diesel gear split, and can be found for cheap.

CD

Comment

OD tranny

Originally posted by CREEPING DEATH View Post
          Use a Spicer 3053a transmission. They have OD and a Diesel gear split, and can be found for cheap.

CD
          I have done some research and that definitely sounds like a good option. I know JP magazine put one in an M715 with an SBC so with the correct bellhousing and flywheel will it bolt to the Cummins adapter plate? Also how will i have to mate it to my NP200? Can I use the stock deuce shaft or will I have to have a custom unit?

Also, nobody has answered my question about converting a TH400 truck to a manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Altered_Auto View Post
            I have done some research and that definitely sounds like a good option. I know JP magazine put one in an M715 with an SBC so with the correct bellhousing and flywheel will it bolt to the Cummins adapter plate? Also how will i have to mate it to my NP200? Can I use the stock deuce shaft or will I have to have a custom unit?

Also, nobody has answered my question about converting a TH400 truck to a manual.
            What does SBC mean?
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The 3063a has an SAE #3 bellhousing on it, you'll need a #3 rear plate, flywheel, and starter for your 4BT, which are common and available used.

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              What does SBC mean?
              Usually small-block Chevy.

CD

Comment

adapting

The rear plate you are refering to is the adapter plate to the cummins right? When I was researching this tranny everybody was using a divorced NP205 and a custon input yolk. Will I have to do this or is there annother way? Also the writeup in JP said that all the parts to swap to an SBC (Small block Chevy) are available on the C-60 and 70 so they should be relatively easy to track down. Based on the lack of comment I am assuming that converting from an automatic to a manual is no big deal. Is the adapter plate on the back of the Cummins the exact same as the back of a SBC?

Comment

Originally posted by morthead View Post
                  I am doing the same swap on my 1963 M37 and I have done some research for the last several months and have talked to several knowledgable people with experience in this area. While I am by no means an authority on this swap, a few things that I have learned from others are:

1. Try to get a 4BTA engine if possible. These are aftercooled and produce more power than than non-aftercooled engines. Also, I have heard they are easier to increase the power and may be smoother in operation.
                  its starts around 120hp. one person has posted on one forum they run smoother. that, as far as i am concerned is urban legend.

2. Due to the low RPM of these engines you may be better off with an overdrive transmission (5 speed) such as the NV4500 or ZF-s542. Depending what you intend to use the vehicle for, if you want highway speeds out of it you may even consider going to 4.89 gears.
                  fyi, i do not recommend a sm465 with the following gears. top speed with 5.89 will be 44mph, with 4.89 will be 54. i cannot imagine a diesel swap being cost effective to run the vehicle at that speed

3. I am planning on using the divorced NP200 with a 2WD NV4500 out of a dodge diesel. I'll let you know how it works out. One of the difficult items has been to find engine mount data or a source for prefab mounts.
                  its not going to work out, unless you move the transfer case back about a foot or so, then you will have some interesting other problems. a dodge 2wd diesel nv4500 is a slip yoke.

4. Apparently the power steering pump on the 4BT has enough volume to run power steering and boosted brakes, which I am also trying to find more info on. By most accounts, both of those are worthwhile additions.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure you'll find plenty of good advice here, I look forward to seeing any other info in this area.
                  that is correct.

Comment

Trannies

I would like to gat at least 55 MPH out of it. What tranny is everybody else using? I would like something that will bolt in relatively painlessly and will not break the bank. The spicer sounds like a possibility but the bread truck I am looking at is a Chevy with TH400 so a Chevy tranny is probably in order.

Comment

All the parts to bolt in an NV4500 are readily available from wreckers out of stock Dodge Cummins trucks. That solves a lot of fabrication hassles. A 5 speed is going to give you a better selection of gears at any speed, and isn't just for ultimate top end. Using stock Dodge parts your 4BT install will be bulletproof and later replacements are a phone call away.

In order to install a manual trans in place of an auto you need the correct adapter plate, bell housing, pressureplate, clutch & flywheel and crossmember[s]. Many swappers run the GM, or preferably the Dodge NV4500 because installation parts are more widely available. For the Turbo 400 to manual trans, using a mishmash of assorted parts, you're asking for lots of custom work and fabrication to match engine, flywheel, clutch, input shaft, clutch hydraulics, t-case etc. Far easier and probably cheaper to go stock Dodge in my opinion, and of course that's just what I did.

McInfantry, Cabell Garbee and others on this site have done the 4BT/M37 swap and have posted a lot of info here. If you'll really give the search engine and archives a workout you get lots of valuable info. Use a variety of search terms, like 4B, 4BT, 4BTA, M37 diesel swap, M-37 diesel swap, diesel installation etc. and you'll find some helpful answers.

Comment

Ranger overdrive

After spending too much time on the internet I have decided to go with the SM465 and Ranger overdrive that Mr. Garbee put in his power wagon. It is amazing how much information there is on this site and that so many people are willing to share their opinions.

Comment

id would suggest a 5 speed tranny over the overdrive.

caball replaced his ranger with a 5 speed tranny, and iirc would highly recommend that route from jump.

Comment

I was looking at the NV 4500 for a while but i thought that the length was a bit too much especially considering they have a slip yolk on the back. But if this is easily overcome it would be a very viable option.

Comment

how owuld you take up the 14" tail cone and a 8" or longer jackshaft? does an m37 have 22~24" to move the transfer case back??? my carryall does not.

Comment

Working...
                              X