No announcement yet.

M37 4bt Swap details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realize it was that much larger. Is there any other overdrive % speed unit that will adapt pretty painlessly.

Comment

You could use a chevy nv4500 with the fixed yoke output and change to a dodge input shaft. You will not even have to dissasemble the tranny to make the change. If you already have the dodge nv4500 I have the parts to convert to a fixed yoke output. They will fit in/on any dadge nv4500 but you will have to tear it down to change the output shaft.

A better solution would be to use the 4X4 version of the nv4500 and mate it to a married np205. There is a 32 spline input adapter made for this. You could also mate it directly to the 32 spline input of the np203 and use a doubler kit with the np205 for a crawl box.

Comment

Originally posted by Altered_Auto View Post
        After spending too much time on the internet I have decided to go with the SM465 and Ranger overdrive that Mr. Garbee put in his power wagon. It is amazing how much information there is on this site and that so many people are willing to share their opinions.

If you purchase a 4BT or BTA out of a breadvan (or similar) that already has a SM465 on it, use of the RangerII OD can be a good option from a price/performance standpoint.

On the other hand, if you get an engine that doesn't have the SM465 already mounted, I think that your money would be better spent on a ZF S5-42 or S5-47 five speed... It's a much easier transmission to install then the NV4500 from a length standpoint, uses Mercon for lube, is less expensive, and has virtually the same gear ratios...

I've got my old RangerOD sitting in the garage with a S5-42 in the truck behind my 4BT right now...

Either way, the instalation is pretty easy and you get to use the stock t-case without relocating it (you do need to replace the seals with ones that will withstand higher operating temperatures though).

Good luck.

Comment

What models does the Zf S5-42 come in and what years was it in use?

How long is it, i.e. will I need a custom intermediate shaft?

Does it require the use of a hydraulic Throwout bearing?

Does the swap from Ford-Cummins use a Dodge flywheel and bellhousing?

I was reluctant to use this tranny because I could not find much info on the transmission and it seems like I will have replace a lot of parts that come on the engine in the Bread van with new ones like the adapter plate. and flywheel adapter.

Comment

This is an excellent thread.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by CGarbee View Post
              If you purchase a 4BT or BTA out of a breadvan (or similar) that already has a SM465 on it, use of the RangerII OD can be a good option from a price/performance standpoint.

On the other hand, if you get an engine that doesn't have the SM465 already mounted, I think that your money would be better spent on a ZF S5-42 or S5-47 five speed... It's a much easier transmission to install then the NV4500 from a length standpoint, uses Mercon for lube, is less expensive, and has virtually the same gear ratios...

I've got my old RangerOD sitting in the garage with a S5-42 in the truck behind my 4BT right now...

Either way, the instalation is pretty easy and you get to use the stock t-case without relocating it (you do need to replace the seals with ones that will withstand higher operating temperatures though).

Good luck.
              Ditto, what is/are the ZF S5-42 or S5-47 five speed transmissions out of (application) and what are the weights and size?

Comment

Some info at link:

http://www.drivetrain.com/zfford.html

Comment

Rebuild kits a over twice the price of the NV4500. I had one of these trannies in an f250 that about ran out of oil. A common problem was a plastic cap on the top end that would age and fail. The tranny would then loose oil out the hole, not hard to fix, but if you didn't it would fail.

Comment

Drivetrain.com out in Vegas (the place with the link provided above) is one of the highest priced suppliers of parts for the ZF transmission that I have run accross...

ZF S5-42 were actually factory equipment in a number of Ford heavy-duty trucks for a few years - they were installed in 2wd and 4wd '87-'95 F250 HD’s, 350’s, and 450’s behind Windsor blocks, 460’s, and diesels. The S5-42 uses an external slave cylinder (same part number as the NV4500 interestingly for the early version, vastly different design (and better retention) on the third version of the MC that was supplied to Ford (get it for very little money at Advance Auto...). Max torque for the S5-42 is 420lb-ft.
                    The S5-47 was used in the same product range until the introduction of the six speed ZF 6-650. S5-47 uses an internal slave cylinder and has a torque rating of 470lb-ft.

The overall length of the ZF S5-42 in 2wd is 26" from the bellhousing face to the rear output and it is 14.5" tall. 2wd version has a 29-spline, 1.495" diameter output shaft, Spicer yoke on it is ZF part #1307304079 or Ford part #E7TZ089A (local dealer charges about $50.)

Last 2wd S5-42 that I purchased (rebuilt), ran $800.

The units have the same 1 1/16" 10-spline input shaft as the Getrag five speed that was installed in early Dodge Cummins applications, so you get to use a stock clutch from that application for a 4BT swap. You will have to run a custom short driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case (swap out the yoke on the transmission end), but you'd have to do that for most any transmission swap...

As far as use of the parts that you get with the breadtruck, you don't use many when you go with either the ZF or NV transmissions, but you can usually sell off what you have to somebody building a diesel Bronco or Toyota Landcruiser, etc...

Keep in mind aslo that the last time I priced RangerOD's they ran about $1500... (I do have one for sale, used, but it will require some reworking to mate up to a SM465 since I rigged it to work with a NP420).

Comment

Almost forgot... If you get a Ford chasis breadvan with a Cummins 4BT or 4BTA with the Ford flywheel adapter, you can bolt a ZF S5-42/47 right up as long as you get the smallblock version... :)

Only problem is that Ford chasis breadvans are hard to find in my area, hence, the use of Roger's adapters at FordCummins (and the fact that I can run a big block/diesel transmission that has a better-for me-gear set).

Diesel gear set is:
                      5.72 2.94 1.61 1.00 0.76

For comparison:
                      NV4500 (Dodge) 5.61 3.04 1.67 1.00 0.73

PTO port (SAE 6 bolt) on both driver and passenger sides.

S5-42 weight is approximately 175 lbs.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                        I had an 88 F250 with that transmission, good granny ratio but overall much less user friendly than the NV4500. It could have been my particular tranny but it was very stiff at the "gates", too much resistance going into each gear and never really improved with age. The NV4500 is initially hard shifting too, but after a few thousand miles it gets easier to shift as it breaks in.
                        I suppose that given the age of the Ford transmission, you'd be able to tell right off the bat if it's an easy shifting unit or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                          Thanks for the info!
                          I had an 88 F250 with that transmission, good granny ratio but overall much less user friendly than the NV4500. It could have been my particular tranny but it was very stiff at the "gates", too much resistance going into each gear and never really improved with age. The NV4500 is initially hard shifting too, but after a few thousand miles it gets easier to shift as it breaks in.
                          I suppose that given the age of the Ford transmission, you'd be able to tell right off the bat if it's an easy shifting unit or not.
                          I have been thinking about posting something about that. Back around 2001 I drove some new Ford, diesel powered trucks that had manual transmissions. I thought they shifted awfully hard.
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

my aversion to the nv4500

limited production run. couple that with the 5th gear issue.... spares are rare

low aftermarket support. see first reason

special oil. sure amsoil MAY work. if it doesent? burn synchros burn!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              I have been thinking about posting something about that. Back around 2001 I drove some new Ford, diesel powered trucks that had manual transmissions. I thought they shifted awfully hard.
                              I have driven both trucks with the ZF S5-42 (Fords at work and in my Cummins powered M37) as well as some with the NV4500 (Chevy's at work and one owned by a friend) and they all seemed about the same with the NV just a hair smoother, but not enough difference to sway my transmission choice...

Several folks I know who are active on the Ford forums say that the ZF can be made smoother with a change in gear lube, but I kinda like running the Mercon in it (spec fluid). :) Very innexpensive and available...

Comment

Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post
                                my aversion to the nv4500

limited production run. couple that with the 5th gear issue.... spares are rare

low aftermarket support. see first reason

special oil. sure amsoil MAY work. if it doesent? burn synchros burn!
                                Limited production run?
                                It was built for over 10 years and was used in GM, Chevrolet and Dodge. Hundreds of thousands of units were built in addition to a small special run still going to Advanced Adapters.
                                Tremendous Aftermarket support (check out Jeep aftermarket suppliers) it is perhaps the most sought after transmission for retro-fits.
                                My only reason for not running it, is size and weight for my application.

Comment

Working...
                                X