Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you have for a cab top? Canvas soft top,or Hard top ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like a poncho would be a better investment than a soft top...haha

Comment

Well, I managed to wade through the 5 odd feet of snow in my backyard last week only to discover that the weight of the snow has put a nice big dent in the top of my artic roof. There dosen't appear to be any sharp creases, so it looks like I can just pop it out, but the inner trim strip in the middle of the roof (inside) might need to come off for some "palm of the hand" type straightening... I hate winter...

Comment

have an original metal roof for mine with the rectangular window , however it does not slide. one question i am trying to find out is does the hard roof come off? the truck was a volunteer fire dept brush truck in it's previous life and it appears the roof section was spot welded across the front above the windshield , i am wanting to remove it for the rebuild and wanted to confirm my suspicions before i begin to cut the welds.......any help?

Comment

Originally posted by safire View Post
          have an original metal roof for mine with the rectangular window , however it does not slide. one question i am trying to find out is does the hard roof come off? the truck was a volunteer fire dept brush truck in it's previous life and it appears the roof section was spot welded across the front above the windshield , i am wanting to remove it for the rebuild and wanted to confirm my suspicions before i begin to cut the welds.......any help?
          If you have a genuine arctic top, it should come off easily, however if someone has welded it on, that may be another story. Many tops are 1 of a kind custom built. Some look like junk, some are very well done. It is pretty much business as usual to see custom built tops welded on, could this be what you have instead of the genuine article?

Comment

i checked my roof against other m37's i found around and it is identical, if it is a custom built top- it is a very professionally built one. the top has all the mounts that are listed in various manuals and such so i fiqure it is an original.
            course i may be completely wrong........

Comment

Originally posted by safire View Post
              i checked my roof against other m37's i found around and it is identical, if it is a custom built top- it is a very professionally built one. the top has all the mounts that are listed in various manuals and such so i fiqure it is an original.
              course i may be completely wrong........
              Nothing I see on these trucks is a surprise anymore, the fact that someone was dumb enough to weld in place an original hard top certainly is no surprise either. I would carefully cut the welds, remove & restore it if it's in decent shape otherwise. The last good condition genuine arctic top we sold brought $2,000. I've seen them go as high as $2,500 for a nice, complete one.

Comment

the exact reason why it hasn't been cut yet, wanted to get an idea of how they come off before i cut the welds. whoever did the welding, did an excellent job from the standpoint of removing them, they are all small and easy to access. i think i can cut it off and still be able to clean-up the spots where it was welded so it is not noticable. it was not done by some hack, that is for sure. truck was a volunteer f.d. brushtruck prior to my owning it and it is in very good shape considering what we put our b.t's through here in san antonio.... do you know how many fasteners were used across the top of the windshield? i have only been able to locate and remove 2, they were right at the top of the a-post. if you would like, i can email you some pics and you can see what type of top it is.

Comment

update---- well, i took a really good hard look at my top and it is a homemade job, what i thought were clean lines proved to be well placed bondo...........well, needless to say - the cutting wheel came out and off came all the homemade metal. all the original framework seems good except the windshield. it is rotted pretty good and i am looking at options here. either fab a new one or purchase new windshield. what is going rate for windshield frame? any thoughts or suggestions? also landed a few airtanks from a totaled firetruck as well as the 2 airhorns........its gonna be a beautiful thing hitting them horns when a little smarty car pulls up next to the ole dodge.........think i will just look around like "who was that?"......

Comment

They're Around

I sold one last year, for what I paid for it, 100 smakers, plus shipping by trailways, another fiddy-five.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhunter7 View Post
                      Well, so far it looks like I am the only one with a CCKW hard top with the oval rear window!

I have heard that they aren't that common. Is there anyone else out there sandbagging that has one?

Actually MY 1952 M-37 has one of these...was this a common addition/retro-fit? I can post pictures of how mine is mounted if you are interested.

Comment

Our shop truck has a CCKW top

They aren't that rare on M37's. we see about as many of them as we do the genuine arctic hard tops. I guess on the ones that come through here, it's about a 3-way split between the CCKW retro-fits, arctic tops, and the canvas/vinyl. Our CCKW top has been in place for 25 years at least, I have an arctic hard top for it, if I ever get time to work on my truck.

Comment

When I was in Korea, a hundred years or so ago, I was in the Army's First Cav, with M-37's, with the usual canvas tops and a buddy of mine, in the motor pool had a M-37 assigned to him and he didn't like the top, so he made a complete top and rear sides of wood. We have all seen civilian boxes made of wood and slapped up and installed on M-37 but my buddies wood top wasn't regulation but nobody complained and he was happy with it. I worked for the unit commander and had a jeep assigned to me (first an M37A1 and then a M-151) and for use in bad weather (snow, ice), a brandy new M-37B1. Of course, mine was regulation canvas. The unit commander always had the newest vehicle.

In those days, it was a little different when we didn't have to pay for the vehicles.

If anyone is interested, I'll dig up a pic of the wood top, it looked good. We had local (Korean) carpenters who made anything we asked for.

TTT

Comment

I'm In

I wood like to see a pic of it!

Comment

1st pic is of my M-151 and my buddies M-37 in the background:

2nd pic is of another M-37 from our Motor Pool with a home made wood top.

Both pics were from Korea in 1964.

TTT

Comment

Working...
                              X