The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up half of my guages for a great price

I stopped by Central Valley Truck recyclers and spent some time looking for guages . They had a ton of NOS guages for Western Star trucks but they where no name guages and would not have looked correct in the Carryall . Ideally I would use the original guages or the new SW Wings guages . These guages have curved glass and a old style needle but I am on a budget and dropping close to 1200 bucks canadian into guages is not in the budget. CVT has lots of used guages of almost every make . I want to use SW guages and found a few but the printing or style did not look correct on most of them . I was about to leave when I saw 4 old boxes of SW guages . I bought all 4 for 40 bucks and they are exactly what I wanted . Boost guage , trannie temp , water temp and oil pressure . Some one gave me a new SW volt guage . All I need now is a pyro , Tach and speedometer guage .
    I will start working on the carryall again next week .
    take care
    Bruce

Comment

• Gauges

Nice Score on he gauges Bruce.
      I enjoyed our visit last week and I am exited to see your completed expidition carryall. I think that is exactly what I would do given the opportunity.

Comment

• I had fun up there Jake .

The soup was good and the company was great . After I left the truck wreckers I thought of a bunch of stuff I should have asked about . Disc brake driveline brake , old style emergency brake handles , axle temp guages non computer exhaust brake . Why is it that I think of this stuff after the fact ?
        I also meant to drive down the coldwater road and check out a few vehicles parked in fields - plumb forgot to do that until I passed the exit .
        Thanks for the window frame parts. I have yet to stick the top half in my derusting tanK but I will stick it in next week and see how good it turns out .
        Updates and photos should be posted next week .

take care out there
        Bruce

Comment

• I make a notebook of every project. A loose leaf, three ring binder, so I can add pages as needed. I also put all my invoices orders, parts numbers etc. It comes in handy when trying to remember what I need, or what I already have. It also helps keep my parts guys in line when I have better records than they do and they forget about a back ordered item...= )
          Run every project like a business and it makes it more enjoyable and organized.

Comment

• You Bid'ness Guys

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
            I make a notebook of every project. A loose leaf, three ring binder, so I can add pages as needed. I also put all my invoices orders, parts numbers etc. It comes in handy when trying to remember what I need, or what I already have. It also helps keep my parts guys in line when I have better records than they do and they forget about a back ordered item...= )
            Run every project like a business and it makes it more enjoyable and organized.
            Are all the same, organized within an inch of you life. (Guilty I am, I read this of yours years ago.) VERY Good Idea!
            (;~P

Comment

• Wait a minute, I've got a snappy comeback filed here...somewhere.....= )

Comment

• Snort, Snort, Chortle, Nic-Nic

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                Wait a minute, I've got a snappy comeback filed here...somewhere.....= )
                None needed Norm, like I said, a great example of being organized.

Comment

• More welding and grinding has been completed

Managed to get the stoopid franken tunnel 95% tacked up today. Got a glimpse of what it may end up looking like . Not bad in a farmer- skunkworks kind of way.
                  I have some questions
                  (1) What is a decent brand of shocks . This is not a race vehicle I just want something beefie and long lasting . Hard chrome shafts would be a plus- stuff rusts fast around here . Yes price is a factor.
                  (2) Old style shift knobs for the transfer cases. Any body got a line on some at a fair price ? Personally some old style bakalite ones would suit me fine.
                  (3) Drive line brake for a 205. Chev had one that fit on the rear output -any leads would be cool. Actually the darn casting that bolted to the 205 would be perfect . Making one looks to be a PIA to me .

Photo updates soon.

Bruce

Comment

• http://gallery.mac.com/ltalessi#100129

drove it around today! shifts WELL. just troubleshooting as i go......

Comment

• Looks great mcinfantry,
                      Thanks for posting the pics.

Comment

• Hey Mcinfantry You have the master cylinder mounted quite high.

What pedals did you use to get the hydroboost up high and out of the way of the 4bt ?
                        You know you could post some pictures here . We no longer have access to the shots you posted earlier but if they were here I and others could look at them for ideas.
                        I see the inner panels are welded back in . besides rustmorting the inside rust how else did you treat the sides ?
                        Will the window boxes go back in ?

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                          What pedals did you use to get the hydroboost up high and out of the way of the 4bt ?
                          You know you could post some pictures here . We no longer have access to the shots you posted earlier but if they were here I and others could look at them for ideas.
                          I see the inner panels are welded back in . besides rustmorting the inside rust how else did you treat the sides ?
                          Will the window boxes go back in ?

Bruce
                          1) ill try and get better pics up.
                          2) i used a piece of 6" channel iron and hung the pedal in it. the motor is on a 10degree lean, so it clears at the hydroboost.
                          3) i put 4 different types of sound deadening between the panels. my side sound like wood.

Comment

• Driveshaft engineering

I have a CV drive shaft with a 1410 yoke . My Differential has a 1350 yoke . I am not going to use a combo 1410 - 1350 ujoint . I will change either the driveshaft yoke to 1350 or the dana 70 yoke to 1410 .
                            I am not sure if I should go the 1350 route because it could act as a weak link and help prevent something else from failing or if I should go to the 1410 because it is bomb proof . I am not in the habit of blowing things up but I am running twin transfercases which may make for alot more torque than normal .
                            Opinions ?

Bruce

Comment

• trans tunnel is done

Way too much work and time in this piece .
                              25 plus pieces of metal
                              1 pair of burnt coveralls
                              30 plus feet of welding
                              2 grinding discs
                              2 cases of ginger beer
                              and one burnt out toasted Carryall owner.
                              The holes for the twin shifter will be added to the passenger side . I have no idea where the emergency brake handle or spot brake handles are going.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                                Way too much work and time in this piece .
                                25 plus pieces of metal
                                1 pair of burnt coveralls
                                30 plus feet of welding
                                2 grinding discs
                                2 cases of ginger beer
                                and one burnt out toasted Carryall owner.
                                The holes for the twin shifter will be added to the passenger side . I have no idea where the emergency brake handle or spot brake handles are going.
                                Bruce,

at this stage I think you ought to go all the way and frame that tunnel and hang it in your office. It will keep the memory's alive...

Comment

Working...
                                X