No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not stock, I have a v8 and the disc brake kit.

I will probaly experiment with some different paint schemes, I am looking at

1) painted rim with silver ring
    2) black rim with painted ring.

After I get the old tires off and the wheels blasted I will post some test pics.

Comment

• Jake we need a picture of your rim .

In colour please . I was impressed with the colour of your rim .
      Tim I think both of the combinations you have listed would look great .
      This is my 2 weeks from ****. Got 600 papers to mark , 200 reports to complete and I have a 30 hr course this weekend - with tests . I do not think I will not be working on the carryall or posting much.

bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        In colour please . I was impressed with the colour of your rim .
        Tim I think both of the combinations you have listed would look great .
        This is my 2 weeks from ****. Got 600 papers to mark , 200 reports to complete and I have a 30 hr course this weekend - with tests . I do not think I will not be working on the carryall or posting much.

bruce
        Bruce and Tim,
        here is a picture of the painted rim, I can also get paint numbers for you if you like.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ohhhhhhhhh Jake

That is one handsome wheel!

Comment

• Update

After 2 weeks of 15 -20 hour days I had my first chance to work on the carryall today . Started welding up the battery box . After an hour I got called out on a search . I just got stood down and will be back on the search tomorrow . Monday night is carryall night . I will miss "Carryall night " tomorrow . Darn I want to provide some progress reports . Hard to do without some progress .

Bruce

Comment

• Flood Update

Know it has been awhile, but too many things came up to delay getting back to the project. Luckily, got my starter rebuilt for 20 bucks, at what has to be one of the last rebuild starter places around me. Got it on, and, thanks, Bruce, for the idea on the bolts. Cut some pieces off a allen wrench with my bandsaw and could use a self ratchet 3/8s to snug them up before the final tighten. Thought, here we go, since the motor was running before the flood, it spun, geez, too fast, ran a compression check and had none. Knew the valves ALL had to have stuck up, pulled the head, and sure nuff, four cans of everything I have ever used, tapping down, again and again, finally, all came loose without me having to pull them. Head back on, found the coil had shorted out, new coil today and got it to kick abit. Tomorrow is the day to get it running if I have to pull it. Did run across the lower tailgate so crossing fingers and hope the ol gal will run like it did before the flood. Will let you know....Eric

Comment

• Three tries later and it kicked on off. Ran it through 3 gal of gas. At first it smoked like a destroyer laying down a screen, burning out all the oils I used to free up the valves, then no smoking, ran like a champ. You gotta love those old in line sixes. Varied the speeds while running and sounds great. The only thing now is that I found the clutch is stuck up, so any easy solutions to freeing it up would be appreciated. Next thing is the new wiring from Vintage Wiring of Maine which looks great. Taking me longer than planned, but then, didn't plan on flood waters to the manifolds..Cheers...Eric

Comment

• Good on you.

Sometimes you can get away with something . I had much the same luck with an engine that had not been run for 4 years and was parked outside . i loaded up the cylinders with fogging oil and cranked it over a few times with the plugs out, stuck them back in and she fired up and smoked out the neighbour hood . As to the clutch I really do not have any easy solutions . If you could get it going , then hit the brakes and clutch with the trans in gear you might be able to break it loose as long as the engine would not stall.

Got a hour in last night on the battery box , this was after being stood down from the search at 4 oclock . I got to miss the nasty stuff which was fine with me . Banging around in the shop was good theropy . Off to a debrief right now .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• carryall parts load

Hey Jake keep the snow off your trailer. I may have some carryall parts lined up . I gather there is a body , window mechanisms , doors , a couple of frames and a bunch of miscellaneous parts . No idea if it is 1/2 or 3/4 ton stuff . Not sure if it will work out or not but if I can keep some parts in circulation I will do so . I have the battery box pretty much done . I need 3 - 4 hours to trim the running boards and bolt them home before the box is done . Nothing fancy but it will look stock .
                    I have a rocking cold . So it will be a few days before I get to the truck . I have that itch again .

Best regards to all of you

Bruce

Comment

• A little bit closer to the finish line.

Here is a picture of the carryall battery box . By creating a running board that runs under the box I have gained a bit more vertical room than the original configuration . It has been difficult finding time to work on the truck , my time has got sucked up with extra courses and some weekends lost to rescue work . Toss in my regular transportation needing new axles and my time on the carryall in the last 6 weeks is down to a few hours. The vents were not necessary . I just figured they looked like a they belonged there . I was going to latch the cover in place but have decided to just bolt it down for now .
                      The top corner was removed as a safety feature and the back has a lip added to strengthen the box and help hold up the first guy foolish enough to stand on the box.

You folks take care
                      Bruce
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Nice!
                        Considering the amount of acid and water damage at most box locations, I think it could be argued that the vents ARE necessary....= )

Comment

• Nice Idea

Good Call on the vents Bruce!
                          What louvered panel gave you the idea, or in other words, what gave up it life for the battery box?
                          Last edited by Bruce; 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM. Reason: quick question

Comment

• battery box vents

I have no idea as to the original source of the vent steel . I was told that it was from some earth moving machinery but it just as easily have been from a stationary engine . Whatever the source it was bright yellow and about 12 guage .

Comment

• Carryall at Hogans - who has never answered my emails

this Body sure looks decent from this angle . I would love to get my hands on that tailgate .
                              Attached Files

Comment

• It has a few issues...but Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X