The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed cell foam.

I have used regular old sticky back foam on interior panels and observed no problems . Case in point , the interior panels in my hot rod .
    trapped water is all ways worth considering . The window boxes on a carryall are great water traps . Adding window swipes might help .

The other
    Bruce

Comment

• Worked some more last week but slow, slow, slow. My son started welding in the front floor plates and I offered lots of advice. Wasps were out like crazy and slowed alot down as I am allergic to those pesky critters. Before someone asks, the large headlights were as I remembered them as a kid sixty years ago, so I redid them instead of taking them off and fairing over, will let the next owner do that if he wants more original. They were great in the early morning hours heading to the duck hole and oncoming cars didn't think much of the inboard lights flashing from low to high beam but never hesitated to dim quickly when I would kick the monsters on from the other light switch. Cheers...Eric
      Attached Files

Comment

• BTW, I did get the rear fender, at least looking like one again instead of the way it was..Cheers..Eric
        Attached Files

Comment

• That rear fender looks better

I wonder what your front bumper was built for and what mods where done to get it to fit your carryall .
          I am about to start on the pedals and am looking at options for on board air. I do not want to wait 12 minutes to fill up each tire . The old style piston AC pumps will not fit under the hood .

Great photos and additional comments from other posters , thanks for the contribution guys .

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce, if I had to guess, probably off an International winch truck. It is the most massive bumper I have ever seen with 1/4 inch plate, inside the bumper, on top of the bumper and note in the pic the solid rod going from the frame out to the ends which are on both sides. The whole giddyupand go was done by a welder who my Granddad used for years who was a master of the art of welding. Standard MU2 winch on the front. I still think the winch has always been on the truck since the control handle has its own place, data plate on the glove box, and the leather covering was also over the winch control lever. If it wasn't for the lines in the bumper, I would have said the whole thing was fabricated. Question, for your air needs, would a compresser off a duece and a half fit over fuel pump? Could sling a reservoir tank under the flooring I would think. Just wondering...Cheers..Eric
            Attached Files

Comment

• I am running a baby cummins

So the air compressor off a duece would not fit . In fact the area over the fuel pump is occupied by my hydrolic brake booster . Which I am starting to wish I had fit the thing under the floor .

Just got in . I spent hours jigging something up and then tossed it out .

Bruce

Comment

• Got a cab corner done

Even managed to get the compound curve squished in place . Not the best tig weld......... was on reverse polarity . Kind of dumb engineering on Millers part . The symbol is under the connection . The symbol can not be seen when the lead is connected .
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nice Work Bruce!

Hey Bruce, rick here, after looking at your great patch job there, i noticed something about my own DD116 Carryall, the military WC53 is slightly 'shorter' then the body on my DD116.

The area between (below) the Drivers/Passenger Door and the Running board is alot taller on my DD116 then on your WC53.

Same thing goes for the amount of sheet metal behind the rear fenders where your neato patch was done. It almost looks like the body on the WC53 is 3-4inches 'shorter'. (See below where my broken license plate bracket/light is located).

When i start taking mine apart, i'll have to start looking at the lower part of the body, to see if this was extended done by hand (proctor and keefe), or part of the die/stamping process at the factory.

I'm sure they did this to keep the lines of the fenders, and the existing running board brackets on the 1/2ton frames 'matched up' with the carryall body.

Looking good Bruce!

Comment

• The WC53 body is a bit shorter than yours .

All the 1/2 tons were longer . Might be an advantage if you wanted to convert it over to look like a WC53 . Just cut off the bottom rusty metal and fold a lip .
                    I need to measure under my door and see how much metal is under there . Around 2 inches I think .

Comment

• It is shorter on the 53, but will be Sunday before I can measure also. Everytime I feel I am working on it too much, I just look at the pic when it was sitting forlorn in the oil patch yard..After (so far) shot is above a few posts...Cheers to all...Eric
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Another Forum I cruse off and on, the HAMB, or hoky a$$ message board , a nice bunch of welders, hot-rodders & bad boy/girl wanna-be's. All of the shot came from the fifties & the beach, most are from SoCal, some WildWood, NJ too.
                        But I couldn't resist posting these pic's, I think the coolest one is driving threw the dune.
                        What A Great Thread,
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Running boards

Since there has been some discussions on running boards (RB) I thought I would share what I have been working on. I have never liked the recessed area in the RB for the spare tire but I didn't want to cut up my original. A couple months ago I won a very rough RB on ebay. I then went to VPW (since I'm only 3 hours away) and found another short damaged piece in their pile of take offs. VPW has a die to restamp the side so I left both pieces. The pictures below show where I'm at today. I basically cut the RB and welded it back together.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Wednesday and a tiny step forward

I think my dummy floor pedal settup works . Now I need to transfer all that data over to a good copy . I am in need of a break . I am tired of fabbing stuff and everywhere I look there is more to be done .
                            Gary that board looks great , nice and straight too .
                            Thankyou to the folks who posted the pictures of the Carryalls that show the vehicle in the state that they received the truck in . I think we know this as " as found condition ". The trucks have character and history shown in every dent and rust hole .
                            HAMB - I was asked to start a thread over there but I am afraid I might get hooked and find myself becoming a internut nerd .

Bruce

Comment

• I Think You'd Like It

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                              I think my dummy floor pedal settup works . Now I need to transfer all that data over to a good copy . I am in need of a break . I am tired of fabbing stuff and everywhere I look there is more to be done .
                              Gary that board looks great , nice and straight too .
                              Thankyou to the folks who posted the pictures of the Carryalls that show the vehicle in the state that they received the truck in . I think we know this as " as found condition ". The trucks have character and history shown in every dent and rust hole .
                              HAMB - I was asked to start a thread over there but I am afraid I might get hooked and find myself becoming a internut nerd .

Bruce
                              They are a hard working bunch of guys & BTW quite a few gals!

Comment

• Next time it goes under the floor

If I had some under the floor pedals I would have run the clutch and brakes under the floor . Lower center of gravity and a cleaner engine compartment are certainly a couple of advantages that I can think of . Should have the pedals finished by Monday night . I have visions of the master cylinder wanting to bounce up and down when traveling on rough terrain .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X