The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step forward and three steps back and one step sideways

Got a problem with the steering box , never could get index mark to line up . everything else checked out so I finished torquing everything down and bolted it into the frame . A few days later this extra O ring turns up , I know where it goes and I am not sure if I put one in that location while building the box or not . Tearing the whole box down and finding that the seal is in there is going to be frustrating , not knowing for sure is bugging me too .
    And here is the latest little challenge .
    I bolted up the flywheel . See how 1/2 of the tooth is in the adapter and the other 1/2 ends up in the bell housing . My Tach sensor needs to line right up with those teeth . Takes a 3/4 x16 tapped hole to do so . I will need to pretty much bolt everything together and install it in the frame before tapping the hole which may not work . basically the only way around this is to drill and tap the adapter and bell housing as one unit , and not weaken it .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Maybe weld a bung onto (or into) the adapter and just clearance both sides to fit around the sensor. It would at least help minimize the weakness in the adapter housing. Could do the bell housing side instead, doesn't really matter from the sensor point of view. Would also let you position and space the sensor before installing the trans.

Comment

• Options

What about an electronic, wireless model, do they still require a tapping/threading position? Didn't Cabel Garbee had installed one on his M-37, the gauge itself was Datcon.

Comment

• Guages

I am running old style SW gauges , 50s and 60s stuff , the tach is a bit later but blends in ok . There are alternatives but the cost needs to be factored in and buying duplicate parts is a bit of a grind . Pretty soon I will have enough extra parts that I could toss together another vehicle .
          Today I will take a bit of time and track down some pressure plate bolts , might have to order some in from quad4x4 , only 44 bucks plus shipping for eight 5/16 bolts . ARB also makes them but I can not find them anywhere .
          Sunny day on the wet coast , may have to go cut a load of fire wood .
          The welded in bung may happen , I considered it yesterday , but I will wait a few days before doing anything , a bit of time might clear my mind . I need to clean some parts for paint or powder coating and have been avoiding the pleasure .

take care out there
          Bruce

Comment

• Hey Bruce, you are over thinking this... just notch half the hole in the bellhousing, half the hole in the engine adapter, fabricate a bolt on plate with a threaded 3/4 fine thread ( even just a little square of 1/8 strap with a nut welded to it, a couple of holes for mounting bolts)

Comment

• excellent idea Chris

My son said the same thing , he even went as far as to add a flange with two little holes to screw the adapter to the housing or the adapter . Thanks for the advice , I will follow it .
              I did come up with an easy solution to my lack of pressure plate bolts , I counterbored the pressure plate about 1/4' deeper and used some ARP intake bolts . I now have twice as much thread engagement as a stock bolt and the cost was about 1/3 of the ARP pressure plate bolts ( which no one in BC seemed to have ) and the cost came in about 50 bucks cheaper than the stock bolts .
              Off to cut wood .

Bruce

edit : The ARP intake bolts are stronger than the stock bolts and can be used more than once , The stock bolts are supposed to be replaced each time the pressure plate is replaced .

Comment

• Hey Bruce,
                Myself or my brother will be making a trip to Gibson next week, if you need anything let me know and I'll throw it on the truck.

Comment

• Thanks Jake

If you get in a jam or need help , give me a call and if you have the time and are the guy driving lunch is on me .

Carryall content ...... I got the pressure plate bolted on .

I am working full days in exchange for a bit of lumber , not much time to work in the shop .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• sand blasting

I took my carryall to a blaster to get some more areas cleaned up before priming and paint, it set outside for two weeks while the guy kept leading me on, I got fed up and took it home. Now I have surface rust on all bare surfaces. It will cost me several hundred dollars and lots of lost time just to get back to where I was.
                    People who don't do what they say they will are so frustrating!!

Comment

• Carryall for sale at auction

Thought everyone on this thread might find this interesting.

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ture=grouping=

I have sent an email to Auctions America regarding their mention of the fabled "Special" and also asked about some of the unusual features such as the dashboard blackout light (singular.)
                      DavidGB

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        If you get in a jam or need help , give me a call and if you have the time and are the guy driving lunch is on me .

Carryall content ...... I got the pressure plate bolted on .

I am working full days in exchange for a bit of lumber , not much time to work in the shop .

take care

Bruce
                        Thanks Bruce, certainly will!

Would love to see the WC in person one of these days!

Comment

• Sorting bolts in the shop

The carryall is blown up into 10,000 pieces , no wait I am putting it back together , make that 9000 pieces .
                          There is a 46 carryall for sale in Kentucky , 2300 bucks or 3100 if you want a Red Ram hemi .
                          Shop looks like Mr Bean has dropped by , going out there right now to roll up some cords . Might go so far as to do some miking on the NV4500 .
                          Considering suspension seats for the front seats in the Carryall . trying to get my head around the suspension bases and the pro,s and cons .
                          Might be wasting gas in the big smoke this wednesday . May even drop some parts off at a powder coaters .
                          A big beam just got slid into the shop , right beside the carryall frame .
                          Not sure if I am moving forward or backward .
                          Once the truck is on the road I need to take it for a test run . Vernon sounds about right .

Bruce

Out to the shop I go .

Comment

• Carryall in Kentucky

Bruce in BC,
                            Where is the Carryall in Kentucky listed for sale?
                            Thank you,
                            DavidGB

Comment

• Louisville

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3401927687.html
                              If you go to look at it , take a camera and post some pictures . The truck has been clipped , basically a stalled project .

Bruce

Comment

• Excellent idea Bruce! Maybe I'll have my 52 running and road worthy by that time? We could have some fun with that!

Comment

Working...
                                X