Clear All

• Bunch of carryall parts for sale on ebay

interesting prices on some stuff .

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
      interesting prices on some stuff .

Bruce
      I've had my eye on the bumper actually. This seller just sold a WC53 for $3200. It needed a good amount of rust repair though.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Take lots of pictures .

It has become clear that I should have taken more pictures . There are a lot of parts that can be swapped from one side to the other but should stay where they are . In other cases I have a tough time remembering which way is up .
        Some of the bolts were put in containers and labelled , this was a brilliant move on my part and an act that proved fruitless . The location of the containers is now a mystery . The solution for the lost bolts was simple enough , use new ones or fish through the 5 gallon pail of bolts that I have on the floor .

I think this bracket is flipped around and in the correct location , I found a picture up thread of the same bracket on Gary's grey Carryall . Hopefully I got it right .

I hope to square up the frame tomorrow . The paint is a zinc primer , Cathacoat . The bright green should become part of the patina after I top coat the frame in black . I will not spend much time creating the patina , some of the patina will will be created later by driving the truck in the bush .
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce, the bolts are carefully placed and will be waiting for you once the carryall is done.....they are sitting right beside that other thing you forgot.....

Comment

• I've taken a ton, and I still seem to need the one I didn't take. As for fasteners I'm in the other camp. I know where they all are. They're all in bags in a giant containers that I have to sort through every time.

As for the brackets that was one thing I got mostly correct. I stamped them with some sort of identifier depending on where and how many. Like DF for driver's front. Easy to find up close but you can usually pick a location that can't be seen once installed.

Comment

• The best laid plans of men and spiders

Come undone when the fickle finger of whimsy decides to drop by and organize a few things . I stamped a bunch of my parts too , and put arrows on them to indicate which side was up . The primer filled the marks right up and now they can not be seen . In a year or two after the paint shrinks the marks will show up as clear as day . There is humour in this but about the best I can do is crack half a smile and not let it bother me .
              As to pictures -they are on a disc that my daughter created and made a back up . Not sure were those went , someplace safe and logical no doubt .
              Tossed some black on the frame today , brushed it on and tried to plan out the patina . Got a complement too from a biker who happened to drop by . " Oh you twisted %$#&^* that is perfect " That kind of made the day and he got into where I should add some more green and made some comments about how he would get a kick out of what the "posers " would have to say when the truck gets on the road . This guy has a Vincent , 3 or 4 pan heads an Indian and a bunch of other stuff tucked away in sheds .
              I would love to build a chopper and he has hinted that he would give me enough material to do just that . I doubt I can get that past my wife and have put off even asking her for about 20 years . There is enough meat for a story here , regarding how we met and the invite to his place . I suspect the same kind of thing happens when you drive a PW into some old farm community .

Bruce

" Why does the wind blow when I turn on my welder ? "
              " why do spiders and ants walk across wet paint ? "

Comment

• Rube Goldberg eat your heart out

So my frame is sitting on the rotisserie , the underside of the frame is painted and distressed to look aged . I have one spring on and am about to do the second one when I hear a "CLICK ' In less than 1/2 a second a bunch of things happen
                (1) the frame spins real fast .
                (2) A bunch of tools that were on the frame come off the frame
                (3) some parts that were about to go on the frame come off the frame .
                (4) the frame is 1/2 way through the spin when it launches my shop vac out into orbit
                (5)The frame then hits the saw horse that it is sitting on and moves it a few inches
                (6) The front of the frame can now come out of the engine stand , and does
                (7) the front of the frame hits the pavement and a block of wood and a couple of spray cans
                (8) the block of wood hits the saw horse and the saw horse pops out from under the back of the frame
                (9) the frame then drops and cuts through two power cords
                and the lead to my 400 dollar Miller wire feed gun
                (10 ) and squishes the paint can that I had set out to warm in the sun , before painting the top .

The frame missed me ........

I share this with you after a little bit of thought , I figure others out there have to have stuff like this happen and are too shy to admit to it , either that or they feel real down about how " This stuff only happens to me "

I on the other hand understand that a gipsy woman cursed my family 8 generations ago and although the curse was only to last for 7 generations the curse skipped the leap generation for some odd reason that has to do with the Gipsy witch cursing protocol and rules of engagement .

My thought at the time ?? Hmmm that was interesting .

Bruce

See the paint can , it was full , the lid stayed on untile the middle of the following day when i picked up a new can from the painting supply store .
                Attached Files

Comment

• Glad you're OK. These stories are the ones that run through the back of my head when I start thinking "I'm just going to be a second, it will take longer to put on safety gear".

So the million $ question, what was the "click". Have you done the failure analysis yet?

Comment

• Wow! Glad you made it out physically unscathed, however I imagine your nerves are a touch rattled and your motivation a bit undermined...

These sorts of things happen to all of us I believe. I'm not that old and have a plethora of "How am I not dead or atleast missing fingers, toes, or entire limbs? situations". This past weekend I went wheeling... Tried using my weight and a few other guys weight to counterbalance a Jeep that was about to flop. All went well till the driver dumped the clutch and everyone bailed off the counterweighted side... Well on the way down the only place my foot could go was on top of the spinning rear tire. A spinning mud tire under your boot is a strange and concerning sensation. Luckily the two guys that bailed before me were able to grab my hooded sweatshirt and pants leg and help drag me further away from the Jeep before the tire descended back into contact with the ground about where my legs would have placed me had they not redirected my fall. I knew better from the start before climbing onto the side of the Jeep, but as Desoto pointed out... "This will only be a second".

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                      So my frame is sitting on the rotisserie , the underside of the frame is painted and distressed to look aged . I have one spring on and am about to do the second one when I hear a "CLICK ' In less than 1/2 a second a bunch of things happen
                      (1) the frame spins real fast .
                      (2) A bunch of tools that were on the frame come off the frame
                      (3) some parts that were about to go on the frame come off the frame .
                      (4) the frame is 1/2 way through the spin when it launches my shop vac out into orbit
                      (5)The frame then hits the saw horse that it is sitting on and moves it a few inches
                      (6) The front of the frame can now come out of the engine stand , and does
                      (7) the front of the frame hits the pavement and a block of wood and a couple of spray cans
                      (8) the block of wood hits the saw horse and the saw horse pops out from under the back of the frame
                      (9) the frame then drops and cuts through two power cords
                      and the lead to my 400 dollar Miller wire feed gun
                      (10 ) and squishes the paint can that I had set out to warm in the sun , before painting the top .

The frame missed me ........

I share this with you after a little bit of thought , I figure others out there have to have stuff like this happen and are too shy to admit to it , either that or they feel real down about how " This stuff only happens to me "

I on the other hand understand that a gipsy woman cursed my family 8 generations ago and although the curse was only to last for 7 generations the curse skipped the leap generation for some odd reason that has to do with the Gipsy witch cursing protocol and rules of engagement .

My thought at the time ?? Hmmm that was interesting .

Bruce

See the paint can , it was full , the lid stayed on untile the middle of the following day when i picked up a new can from the painting supply store .
                      Sobering moments make great learning opportunities. I am glad you are OK.

You are right, some folks won't share stuff like that. It is good that you did, as it benefits many.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• You sure "Dodge"d the bullet on that one Bruce. I know about the few seconds thingy, once and a while Dorothy is surprised when I do return in a few seconds/minutes! It could have turned out a lot differently?

Alex, you be careful out there!

Comment

• I have a couple of souvenir scars to remind me of some stupid shop
                          Accidents stories that start " well, I was cutting a rusty bracket off the frame
                          With a cold chisel..."
                          At least you can now say that you have the only carryall with a swivel frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post

Alex, you be careful out there!
                            Yea, downside to the strong medications for the pinched nerve yields a negligence for normal pain and awareness of such...

I am got a little more done this evening. Tinkered for a little while and tried not to put too much muscle into this thing... First piece of sheetmetal to go back on the truck. Still gotta finish blending in the attachment weld and then roll the bottom seam under the frame and then tack it.

Comment

• Tail-Gate Work

It looks like the time has been well spent!

Comment

• Flipped the frame right side up

Got it level , checked it for square and then torqued all the bolts down . It took hours to get every bolt back in , the holes reamed out and replace or clean up the fasteners . The top of the frame is in primer , the side of the frame shows the a test patina pattern that replicated what was done to the bottom of the frame rails and cross members .
                                The frame is sitting on a couple of saw horses and once painted I will slide the rear end in place and decide if I want to rotate the pinion up a few more degrees or just leave it as is .
                                Have yet to check my welder out and see how much damage was done . The shop vac is fine after re-entry , cords have been repaired .
                                Thanks for the replies and kind words

Bruce

8 posts in one day .....must be a record
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X