No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And my machinist is awesome! He just texted me this picture! Ohh soo sweet! 4 alignment pucks and the two axle ends turned down to sleeve into the Eaton! All of the awesome!

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• fun with seals

There is a seal between the two transfer cases in the Carryall . The front transfer case is a NWF Blackbox and the rear transfer case is a NP205 . The rear transfer case is the figure 8 style and uses a 1/4 inch adapter to connect to the NWF transfer case . This adapter moves the NP back 1/4 of an inch which turns out to be enough that the input shaft on the NP205 does not contact the seal in the NWF case .
      If my brain had been functioning I would have had my local machine shop machine an adapter that the seal would fit in . But like many things I needed to make something else up before the right solution would come to me .
      My solution - a dumb one , was to extend the input shaft of the NP205 . I did this by sliding a speedi sleeve on the input shaft and leaving it sit out about 3/8 of an inch . the sppedi sleeve has a very sharp edge and i suspected it would flip the edge of the seal . I came up with dumb solution #2 and elected to build up the edge with JB weld . Red neck ghetto fab at it's best .
      Last night I attached the second transfercase but did not like how it went on . After dropping the case I found that the coil spring had popped off the seal .
      After cursing the guy who created the problem of not having the seal connect with the NP205 I built the lip up some more with JB weld . This morning i took a sharp knife and radiused the leading edge of the shaft and then finished it off with a file . The JB was still soft because my shop has no heat .
      I just installed the NP205 and pulled it off and the spring remained on the seal . So the transfercase has been installed for the third time in 2 days and may remain in place . Only problem is I forgot to mod the adapter in one spot . To mod the adapter now i will need to pull the NP for a 4th time . I sure do not feel like doing that right now . I may mod the shifter adapter instead . It has been so long I forget how the thing goes together ....
      I had rotated the NP205 up so that I had maximum clearance under the carryall . I dropped it back down two inches because the front driveshaft angle was too high and I would need custom shafts and joints . Considering the Carryall,s intended use and my driving habits I suspect I will never notice the 2 inch drop .
      The green plate between the two cases is the adapter . The grey pice of metal is the shift rail adapter . The grey piece hits the green adapter , the green adapter needs to be opened up to allow the shift rail to go back all the way . This is one of those things that I forgot to do . Modifying the grey adapter is what is going to happen but the cleanest thing to do would be to modify the green adapter plate . Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Attached Files

Comment

• darn these trucks look cool

It is been so long I forget what the truck looks like , this spring I will roll it outside and throw some tires on it just to get an idea of what the thing looks like . You get so used to it being in the shop you forget that it ever was up on 4 wheels and moved .
        working on my third shifter , need a 3/8 hiem joint , but finding one up this way is a PITA so I will come up with an alternative .
        Attached Files

Comment

• Very certainly cool trucks! Every time you post a picture of yours it motivates me to go out and keep working on mine. I got my front axle nearly complete. I am hoping to finish cleaning it up and then finally roll my truck back in the shop to get back to work on the tailgate.

Comment

• What tires and rims are on it in that pic?
            I like the look.

Comment

• That looks promising Bruce!

Comment

• One teeny , tiny , ittie bitty step forward .

michelin XZLs . The rims are some Ford ones I had laying around , 7 inch I think . was looking for the ford 8 inch ones but they are hard to find . . I would love to get my hands on some boarder patrol bead locks and powder coat them green . That is not going to happen any time soon . missed a set in seattle and I suspect it will be a long time before another set shows up .
                I have been messing with my NP205 twin stick . i bunch of little tweaks have taken several hours to fix and I have about 2 more to put in to get everything adjusted so that it will not rattle , come loose , or shift on it's own .
                Way fun .

Bruce

That Eaton front looks way cool ...

Comment

• XZL's

Hello Bruce,

900 or 1100 Michelins ?

Kelly

Comment

• XZls

11s the 9s are too small to look right .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                      michelin XZLs . The rims are some Ford ones I had laying around , 7 inch I think . was looking for the ford 8 inch ones but they are hard to find . . I would love to get my hands on some boarder patrol bead locks and powder coat them green . That is not going to happen any time soon . missed a set in seattle and I suspect it will be a long time before another set shows up .
                      I have been messing with my NP205 twin stick . i bunch of little tweaks have taken several hours to fix and I have about 2 more to put in to get everything adjusted so that it will not rattle , come loose , or shift on it's own .
                      Way fun .

Bruce

That Eaton front looks way cool ...
                      Thanks Bruce! I am stoked about it!

As for the range box, I have a Klune V in my Jeep Wrangler behind a Muncie SM465 and in front of a Bronco Dana 20, so I know what you mean about getting ALL of the shifter linkage connected to where it doesn't cross shift, or rattle etc etc. My range box shift linkage took a hit from a log while traversing some brush on the trail back last spring and I got it hung up in dirty low range. 226:1 is my final reduction. Took forever to get it back out to where I could work on it to get it shifted back out of low range.

As for the wheels. I too am looking for a set of the Boarder Patrol wheels. Thats what was on the Carryall I bought from Mcinfantry when it was wrecked and he had them sitting on the wall next to the truck when I met him to pickup the truck and my wife wanted to buy those too because she loved them. He didn't want to sell them so I have been looking for a set ever since and you are correct, they are quite elusive, and the ones I find, people want an arm and a leg for. So if I do turn up a set please don't think I am being "that guy" and stealing your plans... I just agree that they are a cool functional wheel that look perfect installed on these trucks with the Michelin tires on them. I am thinking of sticking with the XMLs too though because those XZLs that you have in the 11R16s are also very hard to find.

Comment

• XZL's

Two new ones for sale on Ebay - expensive.
                        David

Comment

• finding an alternative will be tough

I thought the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws would be decent alternative . After going through their catalogue I see that this is not the case . Radials are too small - 35 inches and the bias ply ; is not my cup of tea ; dials in at 46 inches .
                          So for the time being i am at a loss for what an alternative would be .
                          A quiet tire , radial and good in snow is what i have my eye open for .
                          Going to grab a turbo400 ,NP205 and driveshafts today , $250 bucks . Does not look trashed , of course it is darn cold today , but " IT IS SUNNY " Been awhile since the sun has been out .

Bruce

edit : Boarder patrol rims - there was a guy in Texas or new Mexico selling the rims for 500 bucks for a set of 5 . I have also seen them for sale at $500 bucks a rim . The guy in NM or Texas was fair , the rest is just gouging .

Comment

• Yea, stay away from those Baja Claws. They are terrible when it comes to wet roads, or stopping for that matter. About like a farm tractor tire in reverse, it rides UP on top of the surface and doesn't work.

I've been looking for an alternative tire as well. Best I can find is to step up to a 17" rim and run the 38" Goodyear MTRs. They are good radial tires. Beyond that its stepping up to a 20" or so dia rim and then you can look at those Continental MPTs but they are $500 each and then add the $500 each wheel... sheesh!

Good score on the drivetrain parts. Can't beat that with a stick.

As for those wheels, yea I remember hearing about the $500 each deal. Be hard to find them that cheap anymore. I saw a set in the spring for $750 shipped but I didn't have the money. There were only about 800 sets made is what I heard. Not sure if its true or not.

Mine got put back in the shop today.

Comment

• picked up those spare parts

I needed a speedometer drive for a NP205 . Ended up with some spare parts .
                              32 spline NP205 , 32 spline turbo 400 . Looks like the turbo had a rebuild in the past - fluid is spotless . The only problem I have is I also have a very rare 32 spline NP203 . If I picked up a decent motor my trash truck would be good to go . If I bought a doubler my trash truck would end up as a trail rig ....
                              A lot of the Cummins 4bts came with a turbo475 two wheel drive set up . The turbo 400 4x4 output and case are rumoured to fit the turbo 475 . Pretty bomb proof .
                              Getting close to 150,000 hits on this thread .
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Biggest thread on the forum I would think? Nice job on the updates Bruce!

Comment

Working...
                                X