The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that is of interest

No black out light , the light guard is smaller than many I have seen on the drivers side , no spare tire and the radio stuff either never made it or has been removed . Neat .
    Photos like this help in restoration and keeping them looking right .....even when modified .
    Thanks
    Bruce

edit - There is the dodge emblem on the rad shroud and the headlights have eyebrows . Something I have never seen before .

Comment

• The photo caption on the picture said the truck was "Fresh from Repaint at HQ in England". So I guess they pulled the Antenna rig, and spare for painting? Or maybe its just not there since the truck was being used at HQ, they figured why put it on there?
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• One side done on the D60. Hoping to knock the short side out tonight or tomorrow.

Also, I've started a localized trend with my Eaton hoarding. Few other guys on the local forums are starting to use them in their trail rig builds too. Needless to say this area is about 100% dried up on these things in the junkyards and the prices have excessively ramped up on the few that are still around. Either way, one of the guys getting ready to put one in his Jeep build found a nice set of NOS 5.14 gears. ALL of the beef. I won't lie, I thouroughly enjoyed fondling these. Cut in April, 1952, they are in awesome shape.

Comment

• Both tubes are out. Time to start selling some parts to dig up some cash to pay for the custom inner shafts I am going to need to buy...

Comment

• So how much pressure did it take to move the tubes ?

Apologies to the Kinks but

Alxj64 you really got me goin'
            You got me so I don't know what I'm doin'
            Yeah, you really got me now
            You got me workin on my Carryall at night

Yeah, you really got me now
            You got me so I don't know what I'm doin', now
            Oh yeah, you really got me now
            You got me so I can't sleep at night

You really got me thinkin
            You really got me synopiz working
            You really got me

great idea , just get the pumpkin offset as much as possible and move the axle forward from the stock position . Three centering holes in the pads is a good way to create some variability .

Comment

• That was funny Bruce!

Comment

• Cummins 4bt experts ??

I have a little problem that I can not find an answer to . Cummins 4bt return line . I have a connection on the return line . I think it is factory but I am not sure . In the fitting is a washer with a small hole in it , This looks like a restrictor or fluid restriction plate . Is this a stock Cummins piece ? i can understand why it might be there but I keep reading about 1/4 inch and 5/16 inch return lines and if this piece is stock why bother going to anything over 3/16 ?
                If there was not a restriction the lift pump might just send all the fuel back to the tank and the injection pump could be starved of fuel , Is this the case ?
                There is not much out there on the internut that covers this . Cummins has some maximum return line pressures but no minimum . This tidbit confuses me even more because if there is no minimum , why the restriction in the return line ?

Bruce
                Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce I believe someone put that in there to plug the hole. The fuel line goes into that fitting and the rubber Ferrell seals it off, it can't work with the restrictor in there.

Comment

• got the return line figured out .

the copper washer is not stock . It sure fit in there nice and looked like a stock part but it aint . I cut through the side of the parcel van that the cummins came in . This was to get access to the fuel tank . I did this as freezing rain came down . All I found was two big fat rubber lines with compression fittings on the tank and at the frame . After crawling under the thing I was able to find the return line tucked amongst and behind the wiring harness that was attached to the frame .
                    Return line is 1/4 inch OD plastic line . It connected to one of those big fat rubber lines on the tank . Weird way to engineer a thing . Followed the line up to the engine compartment and found it tucked in a rats nest of other lines and wires . Covered liberally in oily goop . I am not surprised I could not find it . looks like a piece of wire from about 10 inches away .
                    I think I will run the engine breather over flow non PCV hose into a canister and then out the rear of the truck .

thanks for the heads up
                    Bruce

Just pulled the front timing cover off and find I need to fix the killer dowel pin . Hopefully I can get a gasket and seal locally and not have to drive to the big smoke .

Comment

• Sorry I can't help with the Cummins stuff...

But in an update, my buddy sent me a few pictures of what he has done for me so far...

Comment

• So I assume that will slot into the center from your other axle, or will you have some sort of adapter tube to get the right length?

Comment

• Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                          So I assume that will slot into the center from your other axle, or will you have some sort of adapter tube to get the right length?
                          Yea, if you flip back a page or so, there is a picture of the empty Eaton housing, and this is the short tube that will slip into the short side of that empty housing. I am having alignment pucks made to go into the Differential Carrier bearing caps, and then pucks to go at each end of these machined Dana 60 tubes. The pucks slide tightly onto a ground stainless alignment bar that I am borrowing from Aaron (Flatlanders) and then it gets everything lined up, I set my pinion angle relative to my caster and make sure the caster is even side to side and then burn it all together. There will be plug welds in the housing and then you can see the machined bevel for the grooved weld around the ends of the tubes. This is all the plan for what its worth.

Comment

• looking good

What is your plan for inner axle seals?
                            Going to use the factory Dana style seals or just the Seals-it style
                            http://www.sealsit.com/axlehub.asp

Comment

• Progress of sorts

I took a poke at the killer dowel pin last night . Hopefully the tab is enough and I got the bolt tight enough . . The barring tool is a no brainer , having it made removing the front pulley bolts a ton easier .
                              I had to go to Vancouver today so I dropped by Cummins West and picked up a gasket and seal for the front of the block 95 bucks , I was driving a side street and spotted Pat's Driveline so I pulled a uturn and in the back of the lot is a hydrostear place . i picked up a seal kit for the power steering pump that I need to modify . Cost from Hydrosteer ? 7 bucks . Local place on the coast ? 40 bucks . That savings paid for 1/2 my Ferry costs . I also picked up my daughter , which was the goal in the first place . Her cost ? Priceless .

Bruce

Oh yah I went to look at some ammo boxes - I want to put the winch controls in one . I did not buy a box but I did find a tripod for my camera .
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
                                What is your plan for inner axle seals?
                                Going to use the factory Dana style seals or just the Seals-it style
                                http://www.sealsit.com/axlehub.asp
                                I had considered those but I would like to seal something better at the actual tube ends, less chance of sand and crud getting inside the tube. This truck will see some time on the Beaches of the Outer Banks so I want to make sure I can everything as clean as possible. I figure I can have my younger brother machine me something very similar using some billet aluminum I have on hand, and then I can press two double lip oil seals in that will match the diameter of the inner axle shafts.

Also there is company out there that makes something already for the end of the Dana 60 tubes. Mad4wd. The most expensive part of this whole project is going to be having the custom inner axle shafts made. GM 30 Spline inners with a Dana 60 yoke on the outer end, and custom length, non-neck down.

Comment

Working...
                                X