X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Found a rotted out Dodge cab.

When I say rotten I mean rotten as when the door falls off, no floor and 4 inches of the upper windshield frame is intact. the cab as the early style door latches on it and one piece glass. Of course some idiot smashed the glass on all the guages.
    Four rectangular and the round speedometer. I grabbed the cab for the dash knobs which are bakelite and rusty steel, I think they are salvageable and will take over duty as my heater controls. The other item was the windshield winder was still in the dash - the pot metal has fresh breaks in it where some one attempted to crank it out . But the tape is perfect and I suspect the gears are fine as well. Also have a bunch of small items off the door, like the wedges and the corresponding piece that fits in the top door jam.
    The only other neat feature is a really nice door logo the says BC Generator Rebuilders it has an address on Kingsway and a phone number still visible. I will share once I get set up to post pictures again.

The cab was about 5 miles off in the bush on an old logging road. There are about 30 vehicles there all told. All of them pre 1960. They must have been in decent shape when towed in to the location - one still had the clear plastic on the seat that was there when the car was new. There is not much salvage worthy now. falling trees, rain, moss and vandals have taken their toll.

Take care out there.
    Still fun driving the carry all.

Bruce

edit : I really like the float less sending unit from Isspro. Fuel gauge was not bouncing when I went through some serious rough stuff last week.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Float less fuel guage

I ordered a unit from Classic Auto Guages, by the time it got here I pretty much paid double what it would cost anyone in the States. In most cases this would be an easy install, but every time I went to work on or in the truck it would start raining. Weather cleared up enough to work on it today. I had to cut a bit of plastic off to help the top fit past a shoulder that is on the tank - think roof rib and you get the idea. The top of the tank is not flat. While shaving the top with a razor blade I managed not to slip and perform surgery on myself. Of course the hole in the tank was not the right size and it is not possible to get at it with a nibbler or aviation snips - I loaded a file with grease and used the file to enlarge the hole. once I dropped the unit in place I found that it would not line up with the 5 screw holes...Yes it was checked before hand, but not good enough, so out it came and got another trim. Now the wires where too short, so that took a bit more time to fix.
    I was pleased to see the unit pop to 1/2 full when I turned on the ignition because the tank was 1/2 full. I was not pleased to see the needle climb an additional 20% as I backed down the drive way. I fuelled to 3/4 full and the gauge reads exactly that, for the first 40 seconds and then it climbs.
    Not sure what the issue is, may be wicking or the return line is pushing a bit of fuel into the tube. The problem with the fuel guage bouncing has been cured but I doubt the guage reading high is going to be helpful.
    At least it does read accurately when the ignition is on.

Take care out there
    Bruce

edit: just had a thought - I will test with the ignition on and the engine not running - me be smart.....sometimes.
    Boy that box of Alex's is cool looking. You dah man!

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    I've been tinkering away with mine. Progress is minimal with not a lot of grandeur to brag about other than a few little knick-knacks cobbled into the interior. I sold my trail rig a few weekends ago and waiting on the buyer to come pick it up from Colorado. The funds from that are hopefully going into some concrete out front and the beginnings of a garage addition with a post lift that will allow finishing this Carryall that much easier. With some medical set backs, its not too comfortable sliding around on the dark garage floor.

I did build this to put my rear wiring harness relay cell into. It replaces the original radio filter box. I will have the logo back-lit with a red light that will glow whenever the running lights are on.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    One of the better ones I have seen and complete too

Please share more photos and progress reports as you go about restoring the truck. Amazing how few dents are on the truck - most have at least one rear corner caved in.
    Developments on my Carryall? My second fuel sending unit packed it in. It works as normal till half full and then it jumps to empty - which means part of the unit no longer connects. The Classic Instruments floatless sending unit has not arrived and I do not expect it to for another 2 weeks.

I am looking for a little box or an old radio case to install on top of the transmission cover. This will hold two extra guages and some switches. A bit like Alex's unit but not as classy.

Well done on getting the brown Carryall, nice to know it will not get a chevy crate engine and dynatrac axles - yours is one of the few that warrants staying stock.

Leave a comment:

• jbell
    replied
    Found this one in St Louis!

#2, Its very complete, back to original.......John
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jcbe...STL%20carryall

Leave a comment:

Working...
X