No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heading out to look at some Carryall parts this weekend.

Wish me luck . My wife and I are about to have our second weekend out together in almost 22 years . Of course I have to drive out of the way and in her van to look at the Carryall parts . I need to remember to pop out the seats and to take a camera .... and let my wife know about our exciting side trip to look at the parts.
    Carryall progress - the fuel tank is in and I am trying to figure out how to get 31-33 inch shocks in the back . The truck has about 12 inches of axle travel and I have to do some figuring to get the darn shocks installed .

take care
    Bruce

Gotta renew my subscription too , If I can get a receipt I can get reimbersed

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
      Wish me luck . My wife and I are about to have our second weekend out together in almost 22 years . Of course I have to drive out of the way and in her van to look at the Carryall parts . I need to remember to pop out the seats and to take a camera .... and let my wife know about our exciting side trip to look at the parts.
      Carryall progress - the fuel tank is in and I am trying to figure out how to get 31-33 inch shocks in the back . The truck has about 12 inches of axle travel and I have to do some figuring to get the darn shocks installed .

take care
      Bruce

Mount them at an angle is all I can come up with. Of course I have 1200 miles on mine with NO shocks front or rear!

Comment

• NO shocks ?

That would make for an interesting ride .

Comment

• Nope. And it has not been noticeable enough to cause me to put any either....

Comment

• My shocks are still the old military ones and guess they still work okay as I am not noticing anything very rough going over a field, but then, I think I will agree with mcinfantry. Without looking, not sure on the clearance but you might try some old military shocks and redo the rods. Cheers

Comment

• Gotta Ask?

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              OK Bruce, How do you get reimbursed for your subscription?

Comment

• Reimbersed for the subscription

I teach mechanics . So the PWA comes under " professional development ". I also run a side business guiding and taking soil samples , once the truck is in use I can write off the magazine as part of my expenses . Considering the number of receipts I missplace or forget to ask for the old government gets more tax money from me than I would pay if i used an accountant ...or was organized .

Comment

• Well that was a successful trip

I now have a radiator that needs to be recored , a drivers rear fender and a rear window surround trim . the place was pretty wild , turns out the Carryall parts were stored at a storage and repair spot that rents out vehicles for the movies . There had to be about 200 -300 vehicles there . A tank , jeeps , cab overs , a hummer , 20 or more crown vicks , weapon carriers and troop carriers , london taxis and buses . Some things were stored in sheds and some were outside . Toss in 3 foot high grass , black berry bushes growing rampant everywhere and the vehicles are parked with no organization at all . Smashed and complete vehicles and bits and pieces everywhere .
                  There were two carryalls sitting out in the grass , basically a frame and a totally stripped shell . One was a rotten hulk and the other was decent but had been flopped at some point and repaired with lead , but the job looks like it was done by a army mechanic .

no pictures at this time
                  The place has restricted access . I think you could drive off with something and it might not be missed for years . I never even got a look in the sheds or barns .

Bruce

Comment

• patched the bottom of my new fender

The fender looked a bit thin at the bottom where the reenforcement plates are spot welded to the fender . More or less three pieces were replaced . I bent them up over a vice and even managed to create a compound curve for the inner piece . I dropped by my local shop to buy some weld through primer . The spray can of copper was listed at 50 dollars , I bought the 12 buck can of the zinc stuff .
                    I have not got my head around the rear shocks or their placement . The dip tank is not set up so the radiator has not been cleaned nor the side brackets repaired .
                    I wonder what happened to the 4 dr carryall . I want an update on the thing .

take care
                    Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                      I wonder what happened to the 4 dr carryall . I want an update on the thing .

Bruce
                      I've wondered, too. I'm going to be in SLC next week. Be nice to see it in person.

Comment

• Wc 4 door

Update: I lost my camera, then found it. I have some pics to post. Both sides are are finished with the metal work. I put the stock door handels back on, but put bear-claw door latches. I had to re-work the handle shaft (round hole with square shaft), also I had to put a cable with a pulley system to make the bear-claws work. It took alot of thinking to get the door handle to open down from the outside, and still have the inside handle to work. Long story short, both drivers doors have bear-claw latches with stock handles, and new striker bolts. I kind-of lost my wind a little with the stock axles being bad. Well I picked up a 14 bolt and have been getting the kit for disc brakes and the axle swap. Meanwhile I have taken my stock WC-53 off the frame. I put the body in the backyard. I have tore down the frame and have frame parts at the blaster as I type. I also have my combat rims at the blaster. I know I have two projects going at once, but I told my wife that this axle goes on that rig, and thes doors go with this one. She just shakes her head, and tells me to just get the concrete work done. Well with the full time firefighter job, full time concrete bussiness, a WC4DOOR, and a stock WC-53 I only have about 40 hours a month to sleep. If your in SLC look me up and we can talk carryalls. James McNeill/West Jordan UT. Pics soon as I get home Monday.

Comment

• Door handles !!!!!!!!

Ok fill me in on how you did the latches and handles . Where did the new latch end up in relationship to the old and how did you get the cables to work ?
                          I can engineer my own but why repeat the work some other guy did ? How long is the shaft off the back of the handle ? The shaft needs to have some sort of support to keep the handle from twisting over time . This sound real neat .

Bruce

Comment

• Got all the windows in and working plus the rear windows. Really made a difference on how the old girl looks. Got the steering box loose, clutch fixed. Starting to get there finally

Comment

• WC-53 update

I couldn't stand it any longer, I went out and bought a big sand blaster with a 200 cfm diesel powered compressor. I took some stuff to the blaster last week, and realized that I would be money ahead by doing my own blasting. I need to get a air supplied hood, but for the most part it's pretty easy. I use Green Diamond, and Black Beauty for the frame and heavy parts.

I also built a rotisserie for my frame, body, and what ever else will fit. It is so cool. It makes doing this job a one man job. I didn't bother painting it since it got blasted the first time out.

I have some TM9 #8 OD green paint on the way. The blaster and rotisserie will make the parts clean, fast, then green.

The WC4Door has the axles off and the 14 bolt ready for blasting and paint. Here are some pics of the WC-53.

Thanks for looking James

Comment

• More Pics

More pics on the way.....James

Comment

Working...
                                X