• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back BobbyMike.

Comment

You asked

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      :-)

Thank you. [Your email address does not work, by the way. Would you send me a good one for you?]

....now, Charles, what are you doing?????
      I'm eating lunch & don't have but a few minutes right now. The first thing is I have not yet said I was leaving, but still have not made my final decision to be totally honest. I will readily admit that my desire to come here has greatly diminished.

This is however the way I see it right now.

Gordon, if you want to delete this, I guess have at it, but understand I'm not talking religion to anyone, but simply attempting to answer your question. Straight up facts are as follows: You have certainly shown us all that you do not intend to allow any talk that is against what ever your lack of belief is. In your eyes apparently I'm supposed to just accept that with no questions. The truth from my end is I have very deep core beliefs that I can prove their where abouts to anyone who is willing to listen with an open mind, I can only assume you are not willing to do that as I have seen no indication up to now. Your line, "agree to disagree" simply does not apply to this with me. My thoughts & convictions at this time is I see no way I can continue to be a part of this site as long as my belief is totally forbidden. I can somewhat see your point in that this isn't an issue for you as the way I understand your belief or lack of one really has nothing to share in the beginning. I really don't see how one can share nothing with someone else, as you have said you have no belief. I have had many to disagree or mostly just not accept my beliefs, but never to the point that you have rejected here. Not any of these past experiences have ever made me feel as I do about your actions here concerning this. I could still freely share even though some folks didn't accept. You have firmly made it a place where no speaking, even in a casual way is allowed, period. As I see it, that result has come because of your issues, whatever they may be. A couple of others expressed non-belief also, but in a civil way, you did not conduct yourself that way this time I'm sad to report. I'm open to discuss it further if you desire, if not that's ok too. I'm not putting pressure on you or anyone, this is where I stand at this time, I am praying for further guideance for me on the issue. When I feel I can post a final decision, I'll do so.

Comment

I don't know if this is going to help or not but I'm going to try.

Charles, you are a valuable part of this forum. I always pay particular attention to your posts, because of what I know of your work. You are a man who knows Power Wagons, has a gift for restoring and improving them, and you even manage to make a living at it. I am not saying this to flatter you, but it is your work that you gives you credibility in this forum.

Of course, when you speak on other subjects, such as politics and religion, I pay attention as well. It doesn't hurt, of course, that I happen to agree with you on a lot of this stuff. Although we have never met, I can tell you are someone who practices what you preach.

I think the disconnect here is that, for many people of faith, their lives and work are an extension of their beliefs. They cannot separate the two, and see no reason why they should have to. They are offended by politicians and others in our secular society who tell them that they should. Does this sound like you? It does sound like me. But read on.

It is a curious fact that some of the finest people I know practice no religion at all. They live perfectly good lives, working hard, taking care of their families, and treating people fairly and honestly. Yet they have never said a prayer, seen the inside of a church, or have the slightest idea of what it's all about. I don't know how they manage to get by without these things, but they do.

"Talking" to people about religion rarely has any impact, particularly if they do not know you. In my opinion, coming up to a stranger and talking about religion is going to have about the same effect as a proposal of marriage.
        In the final analysis, it is only what you do that leaves an impression, not what you say. People are motivated to learn about someone's religion only when they know and respect that person and want to be like them. This is a pretty hard thing to accomplish on the internet in a forum devoted to trucks.

If you look at a masterpiece painting on a religious subject, you can feel the faith of the artist. Doing a good job in any walk of life can give you the same feeling. And that applies to trucks as well as church ceilings. For you, Charles, your work may be an extension of your faith. But for others, the path may be completely different.

As for Gordon, I don't know anything about how he feels about religion, but at this point, don't know that it is any of my business. He does not wish to speak about it, and that is fine. He also does not speak about politics, though he does have a reference to the NRA on his header, which some people might view as a political statement. (To me it just shows good thinking.) I have never met him, but know that our common interests already make us friends. But sharing my religious denomination or political affiliation is not a condition of friendship. And I do not expect him to listen to my thoughts on the subject if he prefers to keep to the subject of trucks.

Now, Charles, on that subject, I would like to talk to you about my truck. It was once used in the fire service, and while it wasn't used much, it's body has been badly abused by installation of apparatus. Some years ago I took it to be painted, and it was abused even more. It hasn't run for some time....What to do...What to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
          Welcome back BobbyMike.
          Thank you.

Charles I will miss you if you chose to stop posting, but I understand why you would choose not too. I had my own conversation using "kneemail" and that's why I am back. Trust that voice and do what you believe is right. I will still come visit you when we get down your way whatever you decide ;)

Comment

Charles,

I just read through this whole thread. I missed all of the deleted posts. Regardless, I will stand by to see what you decide. I will respect your decision either way you decide. I too, would like to stop by the shop from time to time. I hope that is ok. I feel that it will be.
            Thanks much for all the help.

Nick - your post did a good job of describing how different folks operate. Eloquent I'd say. Well written.
            Thanks.

Comment

By all means

Any of you guys are more than welcome here any time. Please don't pass near by without stopping in.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                Any of you guys are more than welcome here any time. Please don't pass near by without stopping in.
                Thanks, I will next time we drive down to see my mom in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                X