Forum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
    For what it's worth I like things the way they are. 10 to 15 years ago what resources did we have for gathering technical data,historical information or anything else for that matter on our trucks? Magazines, a Chilton's manual, some how-to-rebuild this or that book at the bookstore. We have come such a looooooong way in just a matter of years in the transferring of information on our rides. We've shrunk the world into a keyboard & a 17" monitor (or Blackberry). Have a question, its answered moments later by someone thousands of miles away. We claim we like Power Wagons partly because of their simplicity, their taking us back to a time when we lived at a "normal" pace. Yet we want to carry the whole world around in our pocket and have access to it in an instant, no we can't even wait for that instant. Now,now,now gotta have my internet now can't put it aside long enough to pull ourselves away from the screen and onto the playing field of life......Waylon & Willie said it best (for me), "maybe its time we got back to the basics of life". Venting complete.
    So you are on a forum, on your computer, on the internet....
    stating your dislike about all of the above? HAHA. Just had to rattle your cage a little.

I wasn't asking Gordon to change the way the forum is structured. Just the way its received on a Blackberry. If you are on a PC you wouldn't see a change. The software Gordon mentioned would allow Blackberry users to view the forum in a much simpler format.

I too enjoy the basic and simple things in life. Technology does have its benefits. Think of how these forums have changed peoples lives by being able to communicate with others who share the same interests.

I was a little hesitant to switch phones, after all my old phone wasn't broken. My wife was really interested in the Blackberries and I'm now glad we did. I was at a gas station a while ago with my Nextel I-90 and a young girl looks at me and says "My dad has a phone like that." I took that to mean I was old or out of date.

Comment

pointing at myself

My comments were directed just as much or more at MYSELF than at society as a whole. I definately wasn't taking a jab at any one or more INDIVIDUALS on this or any other sites. And yes its ironic (even hypocritical) that I'm using a PC to complain about becoming a slave to technology. I should have stopped at just saying I'm grateful for what we've got here now!

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
        I was at a gas station a while ago with my Nextel I-90 and a young girl looks at me and says "My dad has a phone like that." I took that to mean I was old or out of date.
        When I first read this I took Nextel I-90 to be the interstate the gas station was on.

Comment

Let me add that the same goes for iPhone.
          The iPhone is AMAZING!
          I'm on it about 18 hours a day and this site is so/so with iPhone technology. I can read the email alerts and read posts, but there are some pages that will not display because of the photos, just a black screen or a prompt that there is too much data to download. Granted this site was set up prior to iPhone navigation technology, so for the most part it works OK, with a LOT of scrolling.
          As for the lap top comment, the iPhone IS a lap top, only better.
          We were recently in Nevada, pretty much in the middle of nowhere...my father-in-law had a flat on his Ram that was too severe to plug, we used 6-7 repair plugs and kept airing it up every 10 minutes. Finally I'd had enough, pulled out my iPhone, while sitting beside the truck and punched our location into the GPS and typed "tire shop". In three seconds, about 6 pins dropped onto the GPS screen, I tapped the closest one and the shop phone number and web site appeared on the screen, I tapped the phone number and the shop phone began to ring, I asked the guy if he had our tire in stock, he did. I told him to hold us one and tapped the screen again and hit "route" we had a GPS map to the shop and in 40 minutes we were there and ate lunch while the tire was changed.
          Try that on a cell phone or lap top.....= )

I will add that for much of the last 2 weeks, I've been out of cell range, so the big improvement would be satellite connected iphone's....= )

Comment

Your Iphone just got passed by.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/48631

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
              Your Iphone just got passed by.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/48631
              More sales but an inferior product. I actually went to buy the Blackberry, but the key board and screen was too small, and I found out that the iPhone was the same price, with 16 MB!
              The iPhone has hundreds of more features than the Blackberry, it is truly amazing!
              The Integrated GPS/Search feature alone, has already paid for itself many times over.
              More than once I've been able to find a store, parts, shop etc, while on the road, simply by using the GPS search feature, it locates your search subject, calls them or gives you their web site and plots a route with distance and time, all at a touch of the screen. 24/7 Weather Channel, THIS web page, over a million apps that can be downloaded and ...somewhere here is also a phone......= )

Comment

I don't even have service for one where I live Norm (nor a real use for one), but you're making me want one ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMike View Post
                  I don't even have service for one where I live Norm (nor a real use for one), but you're making me want one ;)
                  Ha! Ha!
                  Yesterday on the jobsite the mason asked me, "where was the closest 76 station?"
                  I punched in Unocal 76 and the phone dropped 4 pins and gave him directions and distance, he said to his workers, Hey, look at this cool phone the old guy has"
                  Ha! ha! mixed compliments I suppose...= )

Comment

Techno Popps

Ha-ha, sorry Norm, I couldn't resist, I turned 60 on the 12th of April!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                      Ha! Ha!
                      Yesterday on the jobsite the mason asked me, "where was the closest 76 station?"
                      I punched in Unocal 76 and the phone dropped 4 pins and gave him directions and distance, he said to his workers, Hey, look at this cool phone the old guy has"
                      Did you rap his shin with your walker? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMike View Post
                        Did you rap his shin with your walker? ;)
                        That is funny.....
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                          Ha! Ha!
                          At least you didn't tell him to go to an Esso station for some Ethyl!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                            At least you didn't tell him to go to an Esso station for some Ethyl!
                            Now that's really funny!
                            DB69

Comment

Working...
                            X