Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Wanted

This is a re-skinned Dodge Power Wagon. The Power Wagon currently utilizes Jeep technology in it's transfer case, sway bar disconnect and suspension.
    Is it time for a Cummins powered Jeep pick-up?

Let me know your thoughts, Chrysler is listening...

It looks way too Jeepy to me Norm. I hope they don't carry that styling over to the Dodge trucks. What happened with the diesel V6 that was in development? I think the 6.7 Cummins would make that truck extremely nose heavy and prone to getting stuck in the mud.

Just my two cents.

Comment

make it look like an M715 and I would camp out at the dealer....

the styling is ok, but I never really liked the mid 80's J10's.. What would it look like with the rhino grille?

Also if Chrysler is going to stamp out new fenders and box sides tell them to get rid of the really high arch and make a little more room in front and behind the tires to allow the owners to put a real tire on the truck without needing a lift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
        It looks way too Jeepy to me Norm. I hope they don't carry that styling over to the Dodge trucks. What happened with the diesel V6 that was in development? I think the 6.7 Cummins would make that truck extremely nose heavy and prone to getting stuck in the mud.

Just my two cents.
        Uh...maybe that's because it's a Jeep....= )
        There are no plans to change Dodge Trucks.
        That is a Dodge Truck that you're looking at, the only items changed, are the hood, fender skins, outer door skins and bed side skin. All the rest, including core support, body sub-framing and frame, drivetrain and platform points are unchanged. To design a truck from the ground up would be a non-starter for both cost and return on investment (ROI).
        The V-6 had been placed on hold until management develops the courage to build more diesel powered vehicles.
        The management at all American manufacturers do not understand diesel or the pent-up demand for diesel, they need to be educated by consumer pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
          make it look like an M715 and I would camp out at the dealer....

the styling is ok, but I never really liked the mid 80's J10's.. What would it look like with the rhino grille?

Also if Chrysler is going to stamp out new fenders and box sides tell them to get rid of the really high arch and make a little more room in front and behind the tires to allow the owners to put a real tire on the truck without needing a lift kit.
          The reason the Rhino grill was dropped is because of aero drag. That grill hinders fuel economy by about 1.5 mpg at 65 mph.
          The goal is to clear 32" or 33" tires without a lift.

Comment

I like it! I have always been a fan of the J10.

where did you source the image?

Comment

Jeeps are known for off road capability, not pulling power. If it was a 4 cyl diesel for economy I would think it would be a natural choice. If you needed a big diesel truck for pulling and hauling why not just stick with the Dodge? If you have that overlap with the Dodge it might not sell.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                ....Let me know your thoughts, Chrysler is listening...
                I kind of like it. I also like the comments below about a smaller lighter diesel engine in a truck designed for improved off-road performance. Why compete with Dodge and put the same heavy Cummins in it?

As long as Chrysler is listening - All the manufactures seem to think that everyone wants more cabin space and less cargo space, judging by the trucks that have appeared since the mid 1970's. I, for one, vote for just a standard 3-passenger cab, and give me an honest 9-foot long cargo box.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan. I like the whole retro theme in most cases but this IMO isn't retro ENOUGH. I think they need to go back farther in the Jeep history for their insperation if they really want this to pop.

Personally I don't see the point of the vehicle. Why have Jeep fighting with Dodge on this front? I don't think the styling is enough to take many sales from Ford or Chevy.

I always thought the Wrangler/pickup concepts that pop up from time to time would be much more marketable (and IMO cooler looking), with the extended 4-door wrangler it should be easier to implement too.

Comment

truck

what ever happened to the power wagon show truck that was on the show ciruit a few years ago? the most awesome truck that I've ever seen. down size that to a dak size truck w/a hemi or a regular size truck w/a hemi, wow!!! I can see a new mortgage on the house now. wow,wow, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                      I like it! I have always been a fan of the J10.

where did you source the image?
                      A member of the Chrysler Advisory Board, designed it.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
                        Jeeps are known for off road capability, not pulling power. If it was a 4 cyl diesel for economy I would think it would be a natural choice. If you needed a big diesel truck for pulling and hauling why not just stick with the Dodge? If you have that overlap with the Dodge it might not sell.
                        Actually the 6.7 comment was Bob's and my original post was misleading.
                        The most likely Cummins choice will be the 4.2 V-6, or 5.4 V-8 that are both 50 state legal, but on hold until the new, new, new Chrysler renegotiates it's Cummins contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                          I kind of like it. I also like the comments below about a smaller lighter diesel engine in a truck designed for improved off-road performance. Why compete with Dodge and put the same heavy Cummins in it?

As long as Chrysler is listening - All the manufactures seem to think that everyone wants more cabin space and less cargo space, judging by the trucks that have appeared since the mid 1970's. I, for one, vote for just a standard 3-passenger cab, and give me an honest 9-foot long cargo box.
                          See my Cummins engine size post above. The design exercise did take some liberties and the reality is that a standard cab Jeep would be the only one considered for production.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                            I'm not a huge fan. I like the whole retro theme in most cases but this IMO isn't retro ENOUGH. I think they need to go back farther in the Jeep history for their insperation if they really want this to pop.

Personally I don't see the point of the vehicle. Why have Jeep fighting with Dodge on this front? I don't think the styling is enough to take many sales from Ford or Chevy.

I always thought the Wrangler/pickup concepts that pop up from time to time would be much more marketable (and IMO cooler looking), with the extended 4-door wrangler it should be easier to implement too.
                            The exercise is to make a low cost, utility truck with few options, that won't directly compete against Dodge, but use enough off the shelf parts to be cost effective.
                            There is already a Jeep Truck Kit in the form of the J-8 and the Brute. However they are expensive in limited numbers and not sold directly through Jeep.
                            We're trying to show that a Jeep Truck is viable enough to sell 30-35,000 units per year.
                            Since a vehicle or vehicle platform must sell 100,000 units per year to be profitable, a Jeep Truck that can also be built on the existing Ram line (or the Wrangler line for that matter) is the only realistic shot of building a Jeep Truck.
                            A one-off, stand alone Jeep Truck would cost about 2 billion and not see a ROI that works in todays world.
                            ...Now maybe in your case a Willys retro built upon the Wrangler platform might work, but would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?
                            As much as I would like to see that Willys retro, you have to remember that todays federal mandates would make that truck as big and as bloated as the current Dodge. The Willys would never meet crash and other standards, which border upon bizare....

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                              Uh...maybe that's because it's a Jeep....= )
                              There are no plans to change Dodge Trucks.
                              Well that explains that.....
                              I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought Chrysler was proposing to let Jeep have the Powerwagon name.
                              I do believe the Cummins 6.7 is to heavy.
                              If they won't carry on with the V6 perhaps they could make a deal with Volvo or Daimler for an inline five holer. They could also sell their research to Cummins and let them flog the V6 on the open market.
                              Just a thought, it'll pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X