Buck knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of an incident

A few years back a local home was broken into, numerous items stolen. This is rural country, law enforcement was of course in another world which is customary, but finding out who did it didn't take long around here. The home owner then went to the house where the thieves lived, knocked on the door, confronted them about the break in and demanded his property back. He was informed that the stolen items were already gone and their reason for stealing was they needed money for drugs, they then demanded he get off their property. It scares me to think of what my personal response might have been at a moments notice in that situation, and God knows I hope I'm never tested that way. Anyway, the guy kept his cool, but did invite them to come back again for more. He also informed them that if they did, they wouldn't need money for drugs, but would instead need it to cover their final expenses with the local funeral home. I guess they were sober enough to take the message serious as they haven't come back to date.

Comment

I may be straying from the original intent of this thread (the BUCK knife), but while I don't think law enforcement are without fault, I think the bigger problem lies within our judiciary system & its revolving door policies in how it deals with criminals. I see they same names over & over again in the local rag concerning criminal activities, bonds, trials, sentencing, etc...
      It likely that the guy who stole Kevin's knife has done this before. What's sadder still is that this guy has likely been caught & released before.

Yes as a youth I stole something. Yes I finally got caught. Yes I got my butt busted among other punishmnets. Yes I no longer stole again.

I approach law enforcement same as I do fishing. You catch a fish, you keep it & skin it.

My dad has alot of old pocket knifes. Case, Buck, Schrade, Old Timers
      I find them kinda neat. He has had them decades, keeps them in a chest of drawers.

Bucky

Comment

I don't mind it when these Back Room threads go in different directions. In fact, I enjoy it.

I guess the important thing for me to remember is that I'm lucky it was only a $30 knife. As MaineSS pointed out, he was likely scoping things out for a bigger score, possibly the Power Wagon, which is priceless to me.

Knowing it was only a knife and it could have been much worse is somewhat redeeming, but still, thievery on any level hits a nerve with me.

Is thievery a word? If so, it is a word I have never used before. It is no slouch of a word.

Comment

A good dog

a good dog can smell a black hearted person a mile away. They have knack for recognizing scumbags. I have been the loser, more than once, in character judging contests with my dogs over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Daewoo10356 View Post
            If you can't find a buck you like I would highly recommend a Kershaw with the speed safe system they are tough and with the speed safe have reliable one handed opening that locks the blade every time.
            After my Gerber finally came apart after many years and my local Walmart doesn't carry very much in the way of Buck I did settle on a Kershaw Tanto with speed safe. I'm impressed with the knife. It's beefy without being overly heavy. Plus the assisted opening is extremely indimitating. Unfortunately the state police doesn't like me carrying around my Buck Master. As for break-ins, I'm originally from Staten Island (born in Brooklyn). The first thing I did to the house after moving up here was replace every lock with a double key dead bolt. It would be easier to tear through the walls of my shed than to try messing with the Medeco padlocks on the doors. Since then I've become slightly lax when it comes to taking a quick trip to Tractor Supply or NAPA and leaving my tools in the driveway however the house and shed is ALWAYS locked up tight when I go. So far it's been five years up here in Jersey and I haven't heard of a break-in in my neighborhood yet.

Comment

I've heard a few interesting vehicle-theft stories over the years, these two will illustrate what can happen. The first involved a Harley Davidson owner who built a spectacular bike, and talked a lot about his "perfect" security system. The bike was chained to ringbolts in his garage floor, inside a locked/alarmed garage, with one of his cars parked between it and the door. He came back after a weekend absence to find the bike missing. There was no evidence of forced entry, and his car hadn't been moved. When he looked at the car a little closer, he saw two deep scratches across the roof. The best he could deduce was that two very large people had grabbed the bike and lifted it over the car. If you know how much a Harley weighs, you"ll know these two were gorillas. They were also obviously accompanied by a master alarm & lock expert. Once inside the garage and out of view, they had plenty of time to cut the chains and organize their theft.
              The second involved a wealthy car fancier who owned an exotic Porche. It was parked behind locked gates next to the high wall that surrounded his secluded estate. One day he returned from a European trip to find that someone had parked a crane outside the wall from his Porsche and lifted it onto a waiting flatbed. Neither the biker or the Porsche collector ever saw their vehicles again.
              About a month ago, I saw jet-black wrecker slowly cruising the neighborhood around midnight. There was no advertising at all on this truck, and it had a stinger, dollies, and jacks. When I came up behind him, he didn't stay in my headlights very long. Wonder whose car he was after?

Comment

repo man maybe?

Bucky

Comment

i do believe to repo legally you have to be licensed and bonded plus you have to have your company name displayed on your truck

Comment

Not in NJ; requiring the truck to be marked I mean. I was in the unfortunate situation a few years ago of having a car repo'd. My wife called me in the middle of the night (I work nights) to tell me they were taking the car. The guy was actually nice enough to knock on the door and ask if we wanted to take the baby's car seat and some personal belongings out of the car. I told my wife to take some pictures of the car before he left the driveway in case the finance company tried to say the car was damaged. The truck was reddish and unmarked except with the words "not for hire" in small letters near the rear wheel well.

Comment

The requirements for truck marking likely vary from state to state. In Maine, there seem to be two types. One operates in broad daylight with with logos like "Secured Creditors" splashed over their wrecker, the other appears to fly by night with maximum stealth. I have to wonder how many big auto theft rings have used the "repo" cover- it is a good way to steal a car in public, no furtive movements necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                        I may be straying from the original intent of this thread (the BUCK knife), but while I don't think law enforcement are without fault, I think the bigger problem lies within our judiciary system & its revolving door policies in how it deals with criminals. I see they same names over & over again in the local rag concerning criminal activities, bonds, trials, sentencing, etc...
                        I have worked in and out of the justice system for some years. Much of what you say is, of course, true. But like anything else, the system is only as good as the people who run it.

That being said, I think the ineffectiveness of the justice system is more of a symptom of problems in society, not the cause. The central unit of any successful society is the family, not government.

I remember reading about a social study conducted by Dr. James Dobson, where he visited a prison and handed out free Mother's Day cards. A large percentage of the prisoners took the cards, signed and addressed them, and Dr. Dobson mailed them out. A few weeks later, he returned to the prison with Father's Day cards. This time there were few takers.

What is needed in our society is more fathers who will step up to the plate and assume their responsibilities. We also need a culture that respects and supports those who do. Fatherly discipline is akin to preventative maintenance. If you don't do it, greater long term problems will develope. There will never be enough cops and prisons to deal with the epidemic of child neglect we are now facing.

While every man is ultimately responsible for his own actions, I would not be surprised if the punk who stole this knife does not even know who his father is. He may have gotten away with his prank, for now, but he is destined for an unhappy and unproductive life. That is not only sad for him, but for us.

Comment

Justice system

Out here in NJ the difference between the Justice System and the Legal System is about five grand. The best advice my lawyer has given me is "you can beat the rap, but you CAN"T beat the ride" translation; if arrested you're going to the cop shop,no doubt about it. Its up to you to decide if you will be "riding" upright in the rear seat or "riding" hogtied in the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                          X