Opportunity for character development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunity for character development

Last Friday morning at about 9:00 I was summoned to a conference room in the other building. I was informed that I was laid off due to business conditions caused by greatly diminishing sales by our company. A group of production people was also laid off, having been informed some time prior.

Our company had been making it do a large degree because of product lines brought to us from another facility in the corporate structure that was closed in a neighboring state.

I have been pondering the sort of situation I want to find and have been working on my resume. In contrast, my dog thinks having me home is just the greatest thing. He doesn't see any problem with it at all. I may have to discuss dog food finance with him so he can get the larger picture. Either that, or maybe we will both have to live off rabbits he catches.

I lost my old friend Ken approaching two years ago. He lives with me now with respect to how I look at things. How would he look at this, and how would he react, if it was him?

He would be fine, and to him it would be just another adventure. At the age of almost 83, he was fond of saying, I had fun getting this way.

Kobuk and I are going to go for a walk around the place. It will be good for us.
    Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Sorry to hear of this Gordon.
    As you may know Joe C is also going through this.
    Wasn't long ago you went through it and found your last work.
    I know you will prevail.
    These are the worst times that I can remember.
    I'm sure what makes them so bad this time around is all the out sourcing we as a nation have allowed.
    Best of Luck My Friend,
    TGP
    btw
    Kobuk is so COOOL!
    Beautiful Dog
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Losing a job can be a good time to reinvent yourself. As you put it, it is an adventure. Of course you already know these things...you counselled me in them.

Sometimes the harder path is the only one that leads to better places.

Comment

Tom, thank you for writing. And, no, I did not know that Joe was in this situation.

I will have to write to him. We can compare notes, perhaps.

Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
          Losing a job can be a good time to reinvent yourself. As you put it, it is an adventure. Of course you already know these things...you counselled me in them.

Sometimes the harder path is the only one that leads to better places.
          Perhaps I can look to you for guidance, and you can call me grasshopper....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            Perhaps I can look to you for guidance, and you can call me grasshopper....
            Master Po would say, "First, Grasshopper, you must go into the field with the dog called Kobuk. In his eyes you will find many answers."

Comment

In his eyes I see a lust for Milk Bones.

He helped me package some back issues here a bit ago.

We will have our walk later and check the fence, and everything else he wants to check, which is considerable.

Comment

I never was much of a Master Po. While all the other kids were going to the monastery and becoming wise monks, I was ordering x-ray vision glasses from the back of a comic book to see through clothes.

Comment

Bummer on the loss of your job Gordon.
                  I have sent my resume to so many places I lost count. The lack of funds has slowed project Adventurer to a glacial pace.

On the up side, I have had time to spend with my 5 year old daughter which no amount of money could ever replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                    I never was much of a Master Po. While all the other kids were going to the monastery and becoming wise monks, I was ordering x-ray vision glasses from the back of a comic book to see through clothes.
                    I can understand your emphasis completely.

Comment

Of course I will be here should you need anything. I am never far away.

Comment

You might not be far away, but you are far out, man.

Comment

Right on.

I can dig it, brother. Keep on truckin'

Comment

Gordon,I am sorry to hear your news. Knowing what I do about you , I'm certain that you will use this opportunity to advance on some other front.
                            We are all here to lend moral support and more if called upon.

Comment

Gordon,
                              Sorry about your situation. It is a testament to the economic situation we are in that Joe also is looking for work.
                              I am sure it doesn't not get any easier as we mature; if I recall you faced this same situation 6 or 7 years ago when the other company's fortunes went south?
                              Best wishes to you. Your experience and knowledge will undoubtedly be a help to you in your job search.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X