Opportunity for character development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon,

Sorry to hear bad times have found you again, bust as others have said you will bounce back.

I've been out of work since June because of different circumstances, but because of the same basic problems here in the US. It's a shame that we are no longer a nation of producers and consumers, but now a nation that no longer produces and can't continue to consume either. Until we wake up and realize that we as a country need to be producer and trade goods, not money. Corporate giants who moved to the world economy just looked to move jobs where ever it would pocket them the most money, now one of their biggest customer bases is gone. Most of us knew it just didn't want to admit it.

Good luck, keep your head high and good luck.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Gordon:

I am surprised and saddened to hear of your situation. I have been unemployed several times, once at my own choosing and the other times due to my failure to toe the line with management. But the time off can prove golden, as was mentioned earlier.

Being unemployed when my older daughter was one to one-and-a-half was probably the best thing that happened for her development. She is a peaceful, intelligent, and somehow a dance- and musically- talented 11-year-old now (I'm sure this comes from her mother!). Her little sister, by contrast, is bright but short of focus and not inclined to do things herself (she would rather watch). She is seven and likes tools, animals of all kinds, and the idea of building things (oh, and Daddy's Army Truck which he "made"). I was not able to spend much time with her during her formative years as I was working a well-paying job that had rotating shifts and rotating days off. When I ponder this circumstance, I feel a sharp sense of guilt for failing her. I am trying to correct that as much as I can, but graveyard shift is difficult to contend with, as far as my disposition and gastronomic functions are concerned (read: short-tempered guy taking a lot of Pepto-Bismol).

I wonder if you could apply to local schools on a part-time basis teaching basic technologies? Your descriptions of electrical components, fuel systems, and such are exceptionally concise. Or possibly take on assembly rebuilding for a local parts shop or the internet (such as rebuilding carburetors, starters, generators, water pumps, etc.)? I realize this may be impractical due to its (HOPEFULLY!) temporary nature, but often staying busy is the best for people like us. Maybe write a book? You have a rich lode of material in what has been published in PWA. I think in these times more people will be interested in the kind of musings found there.

If you are reasonably secure for now, possibly mentoring a teenager (boy or girl) in technologies will help our country just a little bit.

I hope you and everyone out there reading these posts can look forward to more secure times soon. Skilled people like yourself should not have to wait long.

Hope this wasn't too sappy!

Best of Luck to you and Joe,

-Ken J
      Steel Mill Electrician
      So Cal

Comment

My best friend lost his six figure engineering job.He now is Substitute teaching for 82.00 dollars a day.It's rejuvinated him.I know you taught in the past a little refresher may be just the thing.

Comment

man i am sorry Gordon I feel like a heel the same week I get a promotion and a raise you are out on your butt. But from what I have read you will be productive no matter what the situation. Just keep your head up and make sure that Kobuk doesn't go hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Blisters View Post
            Gordon:

I am surprised and saddened to hear of your situation. I have been unemployed several times, once at my own choosing and the other times due to my failure to toe the line with management. But the time off can prove golden, as was mentioned earlier.

Being unemployed when my older daughter was one to one-and-a-half was probably the best thing that happened for her development. She is a peaceful, intelligent, and somehow a dance- and musically- talented 11-year-old now (I'm sure this comes from her mother!). Her little sister, by contrast, is bright but short of focus and not inclined to do things herself (she would rather watch). She is seven and likes tools, animals of all kinds, and the idea of building things (oh, and Daddy's Army Truck which he "made"). I was not able to spend much time with her during her formative years as I was working a well-paying job that had rotating shifts and rotating days off. When I ponder this circumstance, I feel a sharp sense of guilt for failing her. I am trying to correct that as much as I can, but graveyard shift is difficult to contend with, as far as my disposition and gastronomic functions are concerned (read: short-tempered guy taking a lot of Pepto-Bismol).

I wonder if you could apply to local schools on a part-time basis teaching basic technologies? Your descriptions of electrical components, fuel systems, and such are exceptionally concise. Or possibly take on assembly rebuilding for a local parts shop or the internet (such as rebuilding carburetors, starters, generators, water pumps, etc.)? I realize this may be impractical due to its (HOPEFULLY!) temporary nature, but often staying busy is the best for people like us. Maybe write a book? You have a rich lode of material in what has been published in PWA. I think in these times more people will be interested in the kind of musings found there.

If you are reasonably secure for now, possibly mentoring a teenager (boy or girl) in technologies will help our country just a little bit.

I hope you and everyone out there reading these posts can look forward to more secure times soon. Skilled people like yourself should not have to wait long.

Hope this wasn't too sappy!

Best of Luck to you and Joe,

-Ken J
            Steel Mill Electrician
            So Cal
            I envy your skill and trade. If I was a maintenance electricial qualified in commercial I would be much more marketable.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Ross View Post
              My best friend lost his six figure engineering job.He now is Substitute teaching for 82.00 dollars a day.It's rejuvinated him.I know you taught in the past a little refresher may be just the thing.
              My job as vocational automotive instructor in a high school for 14 years was the best job I ever had. I am not sure I could function in today's schools with today's kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Daewoo10356 View Post
                man i am sorry Gordon I feel like a heel the same week I get a promotion and a raise you are out on your butt. But from what I have read you will be productive no matter what the situation. Just keep your head up and make sure that Kobuk doesn't go hungry.
                Don't feel like a heel. Be proud of your growth.

Kobuk likes having me home. Maybe I could send him to town to find employment....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  My job as vocational automotive instructor in a high school for 14 years was the best job I ever had. I am not sure I could function in today's schools with today's kids.
                  I found employment at the local High School for supplemental income after my retirement. My job is to clean the gym after basketball games and wrestling meets. In the spring, I will take care of the baseball field.

Our High School has 2,000 students and they surprise me daily. Of the 2,000, there are about 1,950 good, respectful people. Of course the other 50 boneheads are the ones that stand out and constantly make themselves seen and heard.

Many of the “good kids” know me from other involvement in, or around, the school district and they actually volunteer to help me clean the gym. It is very uplifting to see the promise in their generation.

Dealing with the other 50 boneheads is another story. I don’t know whether to ignore them, curse them, or try to influence them in a positive way.

I think it is important to remember though, that the percentage of boneheads in a school is directly proportional to the percentage of boneheaded parents from my generation and the boneheaded grandparents from the generation before.

There is no question in my mind that you would succeed as an automotive instructor if that is the direction you choose. You might even be able to positively affect the trend of bonehead begets bonehead. You have the ability to teach more than just auto mechanics.

Comment

HA HA, yeah, Gordon, Kobuk looks like a prime sled dog!

Thanks for the compliment, but we depend upon the mechanics just as much as the electricians. Know why? Because most of the electricians today will not get dirty and greasy (at least, not the ones they have hired here in the last five years). My company covets people coming out of the US Navy nuclear program (carriers and submarines), where they worked in really clean environments and learn nothing about conduit, electrical code (installation law), and other aspects of industrial wiring practices. My construction and welding experience is what makes me useful there, plus I'm not afraid of heights like half of my fellow "Sparkys".

You'll find a niche- just keep an ear cocked and talk to lots of people.

Best Regards,
                    -Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Blisters View Post
                      Because most of the electricians today will not get dirty and greasy
                      Nor will they pick up after themselves, must be a union thing that they're not alllowed to bend over & pick up wire scraps from the floor, let the painter do it.

If I ever lose it & kill an electrician, it'll be by strangulation with a piece of discarded wire.

Bucky

Comment

Sorry to hear the news

Hi Gordon.
                        I just read this original post of yours. I'm sorry to hear this. These are fragile times we are living in. I am still just slightly involved in my business with my 2 sons and my daughter, building custom homes. We haven't built a house since the last one we finished in July 2008. Fortunately the occasional small addition or remodel or garage comes along, just enough to keep the wolves away. But things don't look like they are going to improve very soon.
                        We all need to be very conservative in these days, who knows how long it will continue this way.
                        I hope for the best for you.
                        Jerry Henry

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                          must be a union thing that they're not alllowed to bend over & pick up wire scraps from the floor
                          It is NOT a union thing. Some people will be lazy. Others will be conscientious.

Comment

Gordon, I am sorry to hear of your job loss. Don't worry, your next one is right around the corner. In the mean time find yourself a good pillow.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to hear that you are laid off Gordon. Not being familiar with Iowa, there is only so many words I can offer. I don't know the employment picture there. I could probably take an educated guess though.
                              If it helps, maybe the forum users could pass the hat to at least keep some food on the table and in the dog dish. If you are inclined to let us know if that is necessary it would help us respond. Good luck on the search.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
                                Sorry to hear that you are laid off Gordon. Not being familiar with Iowa, there is only so many words I can offer. I don't know the employment picture there. I could probably take an educated guess though.

If it helps, maybe the forum users could pass the hat to at least keep some food on the table and in the dog dish. If you are inclined to let us know if that is necessary it would help us respond. Good luck on the search.
                                Thank you for the words of support. I am touched by your concern, yet could not ask for charity. New subscribers to the magazine and premium forum users are always welcome, however! As is the idea of more people writing articles to share with readers.

Just a bit ago I was outside and heard the cry of a bald eagle. I looked up and there were three. Two perched in the top of one of my huge, old cottonwoods, and the other flew on to my other area of trees.

It was a lovely omen, I thought. I have tried to care for the earth here by planting trees and providing habitat. Perhaps they were thanking me and telling me I am not alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X