Type of internet service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
    Hmm. I may be displaying my ignorance here but I cant see how you can send email back up to the satellite without some sort of transmiter.
    There is a transmitter(tx) and reciever(rx) built into the module that hangs over the middle of the dish. When you get a satellite dish there is always some sort of power adapter that you must connect to the cable which powers that rx/tx device. It has an amplifier and radio wave generator in the tx side that converts your digital 'request' to radio waves and bounces it off the dish back up to the satellites. The satellites have very powerful recievers to pick up the weaker signal that you send up to it. The rx part of the dish only needs to convert the recieved radio waves into the digital signal that the modem understands and communicates with the computer with.

Long and short, yes, you need a transmitter, but dishes already come with one so you are taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
      Yes, I would feel quite lonely while the wife is on the roof cleaning off the dish....= )
      Great To hear from you Norm!!!!

At least you haven't loss your sense of Humor!,HAHA

Take Care My Friend!,

TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
        There is a transmitter(tx) and reciever(rx) built into the module that hangs over the middle of the dish. When you get a satellite dish there is always some sort of power adapter that you must connect to the cable which powers that rx/tx device. It has an amplifier and radio wave generator in the tx side that converts your digital 'request' to radio waves and bounces it off the dish back up to the satellites. The satellites have very powerful recievers to pick up the weaker signal that you send up to it. The rx part of the dish only needs to convert the recieved radio waves into the digital signal that the modem understands and communicates with the computer with.

Long and short, yes, you need a transmitter, but dishes already come with one so you are taken care of.

When the Sat dishes first came out, you needed a land line to order movies, make changes etc.
        Now you no longer need a land line, it's all done by the remote, in the manner you describe, back up to the dish. Sat TV and internet transmission is a two way street...remember that as you watch TV,.... sitting there in your underwear scratchin.......

Comment

...remember that as you watch TV,.... sitting there in your underwear scratchin.......

Underwear?

Whats that?
          Only Joking!
          ;-)

Yes you are correct, in the very early days of satellite dishes there was only a reciever in the dish (which is how you could get free programming if you had the correct decoder) and to get pay per view programs you indeed had to phone in to the service provider. Back then dishes were about 8' in diameter and couldnt handle nearly the channel amount they do today.

Comment

Not to stray from the post but the "two way street" thing works for people that have North Star on their cars.
            The operators at North Star can listen in on you while you are in your car and you would not even know it. As I understand it that feature was said to be a safty feature incase you were in an accident and hurt badly. The Govt. wanted to use that feature to listen in on suspected criminals but the courts shot them down , or did they. Hail Big Brother.
            I know its paranoid thinking For a while I felt I was being watched. While at a local Mall I stopped to check the location of a store I wanted and what do I see??
            There was a red arrow pointing to just where I was standing and it said ,
            you

Comment

Not to stray from the post but the "two way street" thing works for people that have North Star on their cars.

The operators at North Star can listen in on you while you are in your car and you would not even know it. As I understand it that feature was said to be a safty feature incase you were in an accident and hurt badly. The Govt. wanted to use that feature to listen in on suspected criminals but the courts shot them down , or did they. Hail Big Brother.

I know its paranoid thinking For a while I felt I was being watched. While at a local Mall I stopped to check the location of a store I wanted and what do I see??
              There was a red arrow pointing to just where I was standing and it said , " YOU ARE HERE". I thought , they are watching me..

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post

The operators at North Star can listen in on you while you are in your car and you would not even know it. As I understand it that feature was said to be a safety feature in case you were in an accident and hurt badly. The Govt. wanted to use that feature to listen in on suspected criminals but the courts shot them down , or did they. Hail Big Brother.

There was a red arrow pointing to just where I was standing and it said , " YOU ARE HERE". I thought , they are watching me..
                I don't like that idea.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  I don't like that idea.

Of course you don't, its an idea the General likes. Whatever GM likes, we Mopar guys don't. Its the name of the game.
                  Seriously though, I never saw any use for "On Star" (Northstar is Cadillacs V8). Around here it would only work in the metropolitan areas anyway because the transmit portion uses cell signals. The satellite antenna is only an antenna.

Comment

I'm not 100% certain that it is an antenna only. It's also used for the On-Star Nav system (GPS) and relays your position and speed to the unit and I'm pretty sure it is also the communication format, just as Sirius (UConnect) is in Chrysler's.

Or..is it the GRPS such as iPhone uses for it's GPS and user tracking...?

Comment

I'm not 100% certain that it is an antenna only. It's also used for the On-Star Nav system (GPS) and relays your position and speed to the unit and I'm pretty sure it is also the communication format, just as Sirius (UConnect) is in Chrysler's.

I live across the road from cows, and right now I'm busy looking for a Willie Nelson tape for my 8-track.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        I live across the road from cows, and right now I'm busy looking for a Willie Nelson tape for my 8-track.
                        I would have changed to 8 track, but I have all of these 4 track tapes....

Comment

I believe they do use GPS for locating but use cell for any system feedback. Some time ago my old man was at a GM dealership picking up some parts for one of his work rigs. He had to wait around a bit because of a mixup for some reason or another and decided to walk around and laugh at the crap GM calls cars on their lots. A salesman tried his hardest to convince him he NEEDED to have onstar when he found out my parents live an hour from civilization high up in the mountains (read: no cell,power,water or any other utilities). He quickly changed his tune when they went into the office to find out how the system works. Sure he may know where he is at at the moment, but all other functions of the system would be inoperable due to no cell service. Needless to say the salesman walked away upset and embarrased. My dad walked away with a chuckle, a grin and a few extra minutes of his life wasted.

Comment

Working...
                          X