Gene Buch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Buch

I learned some very sad news just a bit ago. We have lost Gene Buch.

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...27&fh_id=10599

We first met Gene at the very first Iowa Rally. His smile and personality have been a great part of that event ever since. This is such a shock, as Gene was always so vigorous and healthy; active in so many ways.

We will surely miss you, Gene.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

He was Power Wagon Royalty

Just by chance, Gene had already owned and used his Power-Wagon for many years on his farm before Vintage Power Wagons moved to town.

Gene was an enthusiastic supporter of the Power Wagon Rally from the beginning. For many years he donated his time, money, and property for the cause. We all benefited greatly from his efforts. Gene himself probably benefited the most of anyone though, because right from the beginning, he saw the Rally for what it would become to so many people, a big family reunion. Gene really looked forward to seeing, and enjoyed the time spent with, his extended family each year.

Gene, you could never imagine how much you are missed already.

Comment

I was always impressed by the hospitality of Gene and his family. They made us out of towners feel right at home in Fairfield. He will be missed by the Power Wagon community. Here is a photo of his truck at the first Rally in '88, you couldn't miss it.
      Last edited by Frank Irons; 12-17-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I just happen to here of this from Gordon...I can hardly believe it. Gene was one of the friendliest gentlemen I've had the pleasure to meet. Having spent sometime in Fairfield other than the Rally, I've found he was always that way...and what a die-cast miniature collector!

I think one of his qualities, perhaps his most endearing, was that he never really gave up on being a kid.

It has been an absolute pleasure...

I wonder if there isn't something we might do for Helen...

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
          I just happen to here of this from Gordon...I can hardly believe it. Gene was one of the friendliest gentlemen I've had the pleasure to meet. Having spent sometime in Fairfield other than the Rally, I've found he was always that way...and what a die-cast miniature collector!

I think one of his qualities, perhaps his most endearing, was that he never really gave up on being a kid.

It has been an absolute pleasure...

I wonder if there isn't something we might do for Helen...

C.D.
          I think she would be warmed by personal letters. They touch initially, and can be kept for reading again, time and time again.

My point is not to dissuade you from some other gesture. I just know from personal experience in watching others have losses like this, a personal letter from someone can be very powerful. More so than any purchased card. And, having them come in over a period of time is nice, meaning it is never too late.

Comment

How about at this year's rally everyone stops at the Buch Farm and pays their respect to Gene?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
              How about at this year's rally everyone stops at the Buch Farm and pays their respect to Gene?
              It is a good idea and I am sure there will be a whole lot of that going on.

Comment

I wonder if Gene really knew how many lives he touched and the difference he and Helen made. He was a good example of how to live and share your life. He made you want to be a better person, do more instead of less, give instead of take. He has left a legacy of goodwill to a army of recruits, he will live on indefinitely.

Jerry and Roxann Turben

Comment

Here is a great picture of Gene....
                  Attached Files

Comment

....and another. I can hear his voice....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gene's truck moving a round bale on his Iowa farm, years ago. His relationship with a Power Wagon began as it should have, by using it as a work truck. His belief in Power Wagons is the kind we know built their reputations.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jill Stearnes View Post
                        Here is a great picture of Gene....
                        I see seven kids in the bottom photo. It is easy to see which one has the biggest smile.

Comment

Gene Buch

I first met Gene 16 years ago at my first rally. The evening I showed up he was hosting the barn dance in the barn across the road from his home. This evening was to leave a lasting impression.

There was Gene, big as life itself, dancing with a straw hat on his head - just the life of the party. Later in the evening, I had a chance to chat with him downstairs as he was serving refreshments. Being at my first rally and not knowing a soul, Gene made me feel welcome and part of some kind of extended family.

As rally-goers tend to say "come for the trucks, come back for the people". I don't think anyone exemplified this more than Gene. In the following years I got to know him better. He was always ready to do any thing you needed, and was always a great host when I would visit him and Helen at the farm.

He will be missed very deeply by all who knew him. So please keep Gene and Helen in your prayers.

Comment

I don't think there was ever a stranger visiting at the Buch farm. I remember the first wiener roast I attended at Gene's. With the huge fire pit going I knew those folks were serious hosts. Gene always with a smile and enjoying watching the teeter board competition was a high light of going to the rally. We'll all miss you Gene.

Comment

I miss this guy and I've never even had the pleasure of meeting him...

Comment

Working...
                              X