Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kev... : (
    Thank you for sharing your Dad with us through your writing. You and he have been in our prayers and thoughts for many months. I know how you cherish the special times you had together, it was great to read about them.
    Our sincere condolences to you and yours.
    Take care.
    Norm

Comment

Kevin

So sorry to hear the news. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. Always to continue to think about him and he will remain with you forever.

Comment

Kevin
        I am sorry to learn of your Dad's passing
        I have enjoyed all that you have written about him.
        You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers
        Tom and Debbie

Comment

Thank you all so much. I was blessed to have this man for a dad.

We had visitation last night and a Christian burial today. The visitation was scheduled to last 2 hours, but went almost 4 hours. An impressive total of 642 people signed the guest book. Those numbers say more about him than anything I could tell you.

Most impressive to me was the diversity in his group of friends. These people ranged from bikers and hotrodders to farmers, plumbers, printers, and clergymen. Many of these people told me stories of how Dad had helped them in some way that they will never forget. Some said he changed their lives profoundly.

His courage and undying faith in his last days is something I will always remember. He didn't just teach me how to live, he taught me how to die.

Comment

a sorta famous quote

"A tree is best measured by laying it down."

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
              Thank you all so much. I was blessed to have this man for a dad.

We had visitation last night and a Christian burial today. The visitation was scheduled to last 2 hours, but went almost 4 hours. An impressive total of 642 people signed the guest book. Those numbers say more about him than anything I could tell you.

Most impressive to me was the diversity in his group of friends. These people ranged from bikers and hotrodders to farmers, plumbers, printers, and clergymen. Many of these people told me stories of how Dad had helped them in some way that they will never forget. Some said he changed their lives profoundly.

His courage and undying faith in his last days is something I will always remember. He didn't just teach me how to live, he taught me how to die.
              Kevin, The number of people who turnout and give praise of the man, Is a better testament of who he was than any eulogy can impart. It's quite obvious that your father was a well regarded man.

Bob Thompson

Comment

Kevin,
                My condolences go out to you and your family.
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Kevin,

We are sorry to hear of your dad's passing. It is good you both made the effort to stay connected. Those kind of memories "stick to your ribs"

Dave & Ria
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                  1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor
                  1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                  UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

This thread has really hit home....Twice. Once when Kevin originated it, then again this weekend. My dad just had an emergency heart bypass surgery yesterday. Even though he is 68 & I'm 42, it was the first time I ever saw him in the hospital. And it wasn't pretty.

If you still have your Dad (Grandpas, uncles, etc) be sure to show your appreciation while you can.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      This thread has really hit home....Twice. Once when Kevin originated it, then again this weekend. My dad just had an emergency heart bypass surgery yesterday. Even though he is 68 & I'm 42, it was the first time I ever saw him in the hospital. And it wasn't pretty.

If you still have your Dad (Grandpas, uncles, etc) be sure to show your appreciation while you can.

Bucky
                      I agree, and I will add a thought. It applies to anyone. Meaning, anyone you care about, enjoy, admire, love, whatever. What would you want them to know? Imagine not getting to see someone again. What would you want them to know if something happened to you tonight and you never saw that other person again? What would you wish you had said, if only you would have had the chance? It can be very thought provoking to consider it that way.

We never know who will be gone tomorrow. It could be me, you, or the other person. The things we do not say, go unsaid due to fear, embarrassment, hesitation, or lack of confidence.

What would they think if we said....? We stumble over that. Experience tells me they are pleased to know. Anyone should try it. It makes for satisfying human connections.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Bucky
                        Bucky, I know what you mean. This time last year my Mother had a massive heart attack, but she stabilised and bounced back. Although it affected her short term memory, she is sharp as a tack on long term stuff.
                        I've been spending a lot of time with her or on the phone and writing most of it down or recording it. She just passed her 88th birthday in reasonable health and quite happy. We are all just making the best of it and spending time with her because we all know it is temporary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                          Bucky, I know what you mean. This time last year my Mother had a massive heart attack, but she stabilised and bounced back. Although it affected her short term memory, she is sharp as a tack on long term stuff.
                          I've been spending a lot of time with her or on the phone and writing most of it down or recording it. She just passed her 88th birthday in reasonable health and quite happy. We are all just making the best of it and spending time with her because we all know it is temporary.
                          Sorry to hear about your Mom, Bob. There is a lot to be said going the way she did, my Mom went a similar way.
                          Unfortunately Big V (short for Verna) as we all called her was way to young, at 67.
                          The pic is a bonus! I guess she was about thirty here, this is the stern of Pop's boat, "We Dood It".
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bruce,
                            She hasn't gone anywhere yet, remarkable considering the Docs gave her six months at best a year ago.
                            I try and get up to Renton and see her at least once a month and talk to her often by phone.
                            She has become more candid about family stories and can relate exactly what happened on any given date pre stroke/heart attack. Just don't ask her what she had for breakfast.
                            I've got a great photo of my Mom leaning on the grill of my Dad's Cord while they were courting.
                            That's a great pic of your Mom.

Comment

My Bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                                I agree, and I will add a thought. It applies to anyone. Meaning, anyone you care about, enjoy, admire, love, whatever. What would you want them to know? Imagine not getting to see someone again. What would you want them to know if something happened to you tonight and you never saw that other person again? What would you wish you had said, if only you would have had the chance? It can be very thought provoking to consider it that way.

We never know who will be gone tomorrow. It could be me, you, or the other person. The things we do not say, go unsaid due to fear, embarrassment, hesitation, or lack of confidence.

What would they think if we said....? We stumble over that. Experience tells me they are pleased to know. Anyone should try it. It makes for satisfying human connections.
                                Very good advice!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                                X