No announcement yet.

A reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People would rave about my mother's pie crust. She made it with lard.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Pie crust's

Gordon,
      My Mom also made pie crusts with lard. Brings back memories that I cherish.

Comment

Love a good apple pie, but would have to say my favorite apple treat is apple crisp.

You simply place your sliced apples, hopefully sour ones, in the baking dish (or dutch oven, if you are camping), and drizzle on some orange juice (the secret ingredient.) The crisp is made by mixing equal parts (a cup each is good) of brown sugar, white sugar, and instant oatmeal, with a stick of melted butter. A half teaspoon of baking powder helps. You mix it to a half dry texture, sort of crumbly. Then sprinkle it over the apple. Bake for a half an hour to an hour at 350 and you are done. Of course, it is best to bake it until just before it starts to burn, deep brown, like you'd do a pizza.

If you live on a dairy farm, get some raw milk and whip up some cream, for the side.

BTX my wife has me on a diet. We are probably going to have bean sprouts for supper. But well, enjoy.

Comment

Apple Crisp

This is my grandmother's crisp recipe. Mama has made it way too many times. It will melt your mind it's so good.

Fruit Crisp

4 cups fruit
          ½ cup sugar (or to taste)
          Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste (nutmeg for blackberries, cinnamon for apples, etc.)
          1 tbsp flour

Topping
          1 cup self rising flour
          ½ cup sugar
          Stick of butter

Put fruit, sugar, flour and spice in boiler.
          Stir together, bring to a boil on medium low, stirring occasionally, stop boil.

Mix together flour and sugar

When fruit gets totally cool, spoon flour mixture over fruit.

Cut very thin slices of butter to cover the top of the pie. Completely cover the pie with thin pads of butter.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

PS-I never thought I would log into the PWA forum to share recipes with full grown men.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            People would rave about my mother's pie crust. She made it with lard.
            At the old farmhouse where I spent much of my youth, the kitchen was by far the biggest room in the house. We were all naturally drawn to the big room with its abundance of warmth, fellowship, food, drink, and of course the savory smells that filled the air; fried chicken, fried bacon, home baked bread and such things. There was almost always the smell of a fresh pie in the air.

The piecrusts were made from a lard/butter mixture. The lard was rendered from the butchering of our own pigs. The butter was a product of our cows, and the fruit for the filling was harvested from our trees and our garden; apples, strawberries, rhubarb and such.

It was no small effort to produce everything for the making of a pie, but the pies were to die for.

Today, I live a block away from a large grocery store. We gather everything we need to make a pie in a matter of minutes, and with little effort, but the actual making of the pies is still done much the same as it was in the old days and requires the love of a good baker.

Momma says that the key to any good pie is in the crust. She spends whole days in the kitchen, with store-bought goods, and is able to make pies that rival the flaky crust pies I remember from my youth. It is no small accomplishment.

She is the best baker of pies I have ever known, and by far the most attractive, which is a benefit I don’t take lightly. After all these years, I am still drawn to the good life that can be found in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
              PS-I never thought I would log into the PWA forum to share recipes with full grown men.
              This is pretty funny.

But well, there's some old cliche about the way to a man's heart being through his stomach.

My Dad was a five star chef by the time he was a teenager, so always made sure his boys knew their way around the kitchen. Our kitchen was the biggest room in the house, with a big table in it...no separate dining room. When I was a kid it was not unusual to have 50-100 relatives, friends and neighbors over for a big feed. Lots of hard work, but lots of fun.

Today, Dad is in very poor health, so things will never be the same. But l still try to come up with good memories for my own kids. That is what life is about.

Comment

Thanks to all for sharing, whether it be recipies, memories, or both!
                Thanks for helping me remember a part of my early years
                Tom
                P.S. What are your favorite apples? Mine are Greening, and Northern Spy

Comment

favorite Apple.. for just eating raw ..Ambrosia

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Olson View Post
                    favorite Apple.. for just eating raw ..Ambrosia
                    I have memories of my Grandmother sitting in her kitchen at Christmas time for hours on end making ambrosia. She meticulously cut and peeled the oranges and everything else until she had a dedicated citrus masterpiece. Throw some of that on top of her pound cake and you had a truly mind blowing experience. It was always something I looked forward to at the annual family Christmas get together.

Comment

Working...
                    X