What is an "army truck"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M37 (Army Truck)

As any of you who have displayed or driven your trucks in public know, in general the public is ignorant of most anything. There are those who "know everything" ie; I used to have a 72 Cuda restored that I would take to the local shows etc. At one show, a guy and his wife were looking over the car and admiring it, then on to the one next to mine, a Hemi Roadrunner. I overheard the guy telling his wife that they call them "Hemi" because of the big round air cleaner. LOL.

I take my M37 to a few cruise ins and try to park next to a really nice Vette. Most people will pass up the Vette and look at the Army truck. If they have kids, I will ask if they want to sit in the truck, that usually gets a big yes and wide eyes from the kids. Mom and Dad will take a picture and they thank me. The Vette guy will give me the evil eye sometimes. I do get the "Oh what a nice Jeep" and if I correct them, some will comment yah, whatever.

Then there are the ones who come up and connect with the I drove one of these in the Army. We usually have a good conversation since I did too. They ask about where I found it and how much for one. I give them all the info about parts and all of the military trucks out there for sale. I doubt any follow up but you never know. It's still a hoot to drive down the road and get the thumbs up and the kids pointing from the car next to me at the stop lights.

Same note, I've had guys at the gunshow come up and look at a nice Springfield O3 or other old military firearm and say my grandpa had one of these just like this one except it was a Winchester and blued and a lever action.

Comment

Stupid is permanent, but ignorant is cureable!

Yep, It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful, but for some, proper education will fix their lack of understanding.

The scary thing is these people get to vote!

Comment

Well, to be ignant, a "Army Twuck" gotta be eny truck without "swoopy" or streamlined fenders. Of course, that confuses many since there were many civilian-bodied painted green, but surely ANY truck with open fenders must be a Army twuck.

I have tired of "rivet-counters" and other people who pick on your truck. One was pointing out several items of deficiency on my truck. I asked him where his truck was so I could see what I needed. "Oh, it doesn't run yet." Well, how long have you been working on it? "I think about fifteen years now." Well, come back when you have something to show.

I never saw him again.

I would like to cheerfully and sincerely suggest that if possible take your truck to ATHS (Antique Truck Historical Society) shows. I have taken mine a few times and the displayed vehicles runs the spectrum, from electric trucks built in the 1920's to modern semis fully chromed and custom-painted. There are not likely to be any stoopid nor demeaning comments at these shows.

Ken J
        Beaumont, CA

Comment

Working...
        X