Anyone noticed tire prices lately???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone noticed tire prices lately???

Wow, in case you have not bought tires lately, be ready for sticker shock.
    I have not purchased any tires for nearly 2 years. This past month, I had to replace some of the tires on all three of my trailers. I like to buy good quality tires, but not top of the line Michelins. I could not believe the huge price increases. A 205/15 heavy ply, radial trailer tire that used to cost $65.00 mounted and balanced is now $125.00. The bigger 16" tires for my tandem dually trailers almost doubled also.
    My buddy at the tire shop told me that in general, all tires have nearly doubled in price in less than 1 year. They have had to set up a high tech security system due to numerous breakins and tire thefts. He said good used tires are nearly impossible to get now, and very pricey as well.
    Of course, our government still says that inflation is under control and nothing to worry about. Yeah, right!!!!
    Jeff

4-5 years ago I bought 4 tires for less than $400, cant recall the size but were 16" for a full size van.

2 yrs ago I spent $385 for 3 tires for boat trailer/spare. 14" and hard to find.

2 weeks ago I spent $312 on pair of Cooper LT235/75R15 for a trailer.

None of these purchases were "top of the line" brands.

Soon $300-400 will only get you one knock off brand tire.

Of course probably all foreign made too.

Bucky

Comment

As an aside Jeff, my best friends brother-in-law is this region's VP of Discount tire. Lives in about a half million dollar home near Celina. Gets great bonuses, but is smart enough to pass some of that on down to the managers & crew.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
        Wow, in case you have not bought tires lately, be ready for sticker shock.
        I have not purchased any tires for nearly 2 years. This past month, I had to replace some of the tires on all three of my trailers. I like to buy good quality tires, but not top of the line Michelins. I could not believe the huge price increases. A 205/15 heavy ply, radial trailer tire that used to cost $65.00 mounted and balanced is now $125.00. The bigger 16" tires for my tandem dually trailers almost doubled also.
        My buddy at the tire shop told me that in general, all tires have nearly doubled in price in less than 1 year. They have had to set up a high tech security system due to numerous breakins and tire thefts. He said good used tires are nearly impossible to get now, and very pricey as well.
        Of course, our government still says that inflation is under control and nothing to worry about. Yeah, right!!!!
        Jeff
        Our government says all will be great with no worries if obummer gets re-elected too; personally I don't see that "hope and change" working out real well either.

Comment

dollar buys less

Printing billions of dollars may fool the sheeple, but the economic law of supply and demand is a cruel reality for those who choose ignore it. only thing saving our butts right now is that Europe is in deeper trouble than we are. The mismanagement of the EURO as a currency makes the dollar less ugly than it really is.

Comment

Bought Batteries lately?
            Along with tires, they have doubled in price.
            Were at the beginning of a very wild ride.
            Hang on!
            TGP
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
            "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
            "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
            "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
            "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
            "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Face it folks, it isn't just tires, batteries, or other specifics. It's every blooming thing as a whole. We've been dealing with tough times for a while now, any small businees enterprise owner will readily tell you that anyone who says things are looking up is FULL of it. I know how cost has gone up for us, a full blown project here cost us at least 35% more to complete than it did 2 years ago, and we haven't raised our hourly rate a dime. It's all in the goods that we buy. What the government takes from us is unreal, and obama needs another $1.2 trillion isn't it? Guess date night funds are running short. It has been effecting our bottom line in a huge way for some time now. I've tried extremely hard not to raise rates during tough times, but it's fast getting to the place that it will be inevitible, as we will be forced too in order to stay alive.

I'm sure you all know federal fuel tax for on highway gas and diesel went up .04 per gallon yesterday nationwide because a previous tax cut expired. In NC, it went up .08 at the pump yesterday, the state also added another .04 per gallon in state taxes on fuel effective Jan 1.

Does anyone besides me believe we as Americans are "TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY!!"

Comment

Went back to work this morning. The whole campus is closed by management between Christmas and New Years eve. Got my first pay stub of the year: because of an array of taxes, I'm down $147 net compared to the previous paycheck in 2011. That's more than $3800 for the whole year. Provincial sales tax went up one basis point starting the first of January, from 8.5 to 9.5%; gasoline tax is up one cent per litre starting in April; special contribution to the provincial health plan goes from $100 a year to $200 (we also pay through income tax); special contribution to parental insurance also doubles from $100 a year to $200 (word has it the province will have an accumulated deficit exceeding 700 million dollars in 2014); driver's licence now costs $88.75 a year (compared to $86 for two years in 2007); and then there's the increase in the contributions to the provincial pension fund plan and the unemployment insurance plan.

As far as tires are concerned, the $300 tires are already here. A friend of mine owns a small parts store. He's had on the floor store four snow tires that fit my Dodge truck. Before shutting down for the Christmas Holidays, he begged me to rid him of the tires. Mine are goners. He came back from a trip to Germany this week. Before we parted ways, I said I would get in touch with him upon his return to Canada. What I read in this blog convinced me to give him a call tomorrow.

Comment

$88.75 a yr for drivers license?

I'd move.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

I'd move.

Bucky
                    In NC, a class A license, (necessary to drive heavy trucks) cost more than that for renewal with needed endorsements, however it is good for 5 years.

Comment

$88.75 a yr for drivers license
                      That's downright stupid.

Comment

An invitation? Cool!

I'd move.

Bucky
                        I'm taking you up on the invitation, 712edf. We'll be arriving late Sunday night. All five of us, with a dog. No more $88.75 a year for a drivers' license...

Just kidding. :-)

Seriously: As far as the tires I refered to are concerned, I did pass them up. They were made in China.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice pooch

looks exactly like my kuvasz mix Annebell. do you feed her from a plastic bowl? the reason i ask is, annebell started loosing the pigment in her nose just like yours until we switched to a stainless bowl. everytime i see a dog with pink nose I ask. responces are running about 75% pink& plastic. 25% are pink eventhough the owner uses stainless steel. Some people have switched to stainless and inform me that the pigment returned.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                            looks exactly like my kuvasz mix Annebell. do you feed her from a plastic bowl? the reason i ask is, annebell started loosing the pigment in her nose just like yours until we switched to a stainless bowl. everytime i see a dog with pink nose I ask. responces are running about 75% pink& plastic. 25% are pink eventhough the owner uses stainless steel. Some people have switched to stainless and inform me that the pigment returned.
                            That's interesting. My dogs noses are fine. They eat out of metal bowls.

Didn't know a plastic bowl would do that.

Comment

About Belle

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                              Interesting remark, 74w300uteline. She's fed from stainless steel bowls. Her nose was completely pink up until a year ago. Celebrated her fourth birthday last november. Vet thinks she's part lab, part white german sheppard. Weighted 116 lbs last April.

Comment

Working...
                              X