No announcement yet.

Garage Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a well-built dog house just outside this pic..

We got Thor as an energetic 6 month old ball of fun. He turned out to be too much pup for his original family and so he came home with us. He stays outside during the day and hangs out in the garage at night, as my wife likes trucks, not dogs.
    He's got a number of toys stashed in various corners of the yard, but his favorites are the bowling balls. He will bat them around like a soccer ball and even throws one (sort of cups one with his paw) on occasion. Made a stranger think twice about getting out when we lived in the sticks.
    Once, the UPS guy pulled up to drop a package off and our baby girl was out playing with Thor by the step. Thor didn't bark at the guy, but he absolutely wouldn't let her near him. Just kept herding her away from him, even though she wanted to see the package. He told me about it later.
    Now that we're in town, he stays in the backyard. It's all fenced in, but with 10" of snow pack, he can jump into the neighbors yard and bother the females. So he's tied out for now..
    As you can see, he likes the snow..
    Attached Files

Comment

Dutch

Originally posted by wayneh View Post
      Bill: I'm certainly an animal person, and my wife is also completely converted to an animal lover now. The dog we have now is a rescue dog. I tell people he is so nice because Paula rescued him from the executioner 24 hours before his time was up.

She got this dog when I was in Iraq the first time, and I kept telling her to get a mean lean attack dog. A German Shepard or Malinois would be fine. So, listening to me like she always does, she got this goofy looking curly haired mongrel that I call an FLD. (Funny Looking Dog)

I get home from many months in the sandbox, and this goofy dog comes to great me, clumsily falling down as he arrives. I took one look at the dog and really had no interest. The first night I put the dog in the basement to sleep. The dog was crying, the wife was crying, and things were not well. So upstairs the dog comes.

The second night the dog migrated into the bedroom to sleep on the floor. Whatever.

On the third night, the dog ends up on the bed with his head on my shoulder sleeping and snoring. Yes, I fell for the dog, and he's been our best friend for almost the past ten years.

Dutch is now coming up on eleven years old. He weighs 74 pounds just like the first week we had him. He still goes out running with my two miles at 0530 five days a week. (except when it snows!) He tires more now, but for a bunch of old geezers we have a great time together.

You will know when the right dog finds you.

Wayne

PS: The FLD is actually a "labradoodle" but I can't tell anyone that since it does not sound like a guy's dog.... He doesn't shed, but he sure likes the woods and loves to run.
      Wayne,

Dutch seems to have found a home with your family and he looks very content sitting in the drivers seat of your truck (what a beautiful truck)
      It sure is amazing how they work their way into our lives. We have 2 small Shihtzu's (Betsy and Rosie) and they too have found their way back to the bedroom.
      I have found a photo of my old garage dog Micky the chocolate lab sitting in my W300 as I worked on it. The photo is from a good 20 years ago. I will try to scan and post it. 2 things that irritated her: hang gliders and hot air balloons. My garage is located on the side of a mountain and the glider guys would take off from a flat just up on top. She would see them and just have a fit and the hot air balloons as well.
      Just like the seat of the W300, that was all her territory.

Bill

Comment

I just received an early Christmas Present, a 7 week old Airdale Terrier named Major. A new shop puppy.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
          I just received an early Christmas Present, a 7 week old Airdale Terrier named Major. A new shop puppy.
          Airies are neat. About the calmest of the terriers that I have been around..

Comment

Garage Dog

Airdales are beautiful. My old girl friend's dad had one name Molly. Never left his side but dumber that a box of rocks.

Comment

That's Great Matt!
              Now we need a Picture!
              TGP
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Here he is, quite the little monster so far. But he is learning only 7 weeks old.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Looks like he's a Malamute playing in a field full of snow in a blizzard?????? Doug

Comment

I can't see anything, either.
                      But I thought it was my phone..

Comment

Garage Dog

This is Micky in the W300 sitting in her usual spot. She's been gone several years.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's a very appropriate place for a buddy like that.
                          I am dogless myself right now. I lost three in quick succession about a month prior to the Iowa rally this year.
                          I think I'll wait until I move before I get another. Unless of course fate intervenes.

Have you found a new dog Bill?

Comment

Garage Dog

Bob,
                            I actually have not found a dog yet. We have 2 small Shihtzu's at home who own the house and are great little buddies but would get into too much trouble up at the garage.
                            Cheyenne Dave has had good luck with rescue's and in talking with him, I've been thinking about one of those. I retire in 10 months and plan to have one for myself by then.

Comment

Working...
                            X