No announcement yet.

Gordon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the pleasure of getting to know Gordon through a sharing of severe health issues. Last Aug., I had to have emergency colon surgery, followed by liver surgery in Dec., and a reconnection of the colon procedure in February. Sandwiched between all of this were 2 chemo sessions. Gordon emailed me after the first surgery with words of encouragement and inspiration that equaled those of a lifetime friend. This resulted in several other correspondences between us that were equally refreshing, at least to me, and I can only hope somewhat to him, as well.
    He exuded a genuine selflessness in his concern for me, and when I questioned him about his condition, the usual response downplayed the reality of the seriousness he was living with. His purpose in this was to try and help me and he certainly did.
    I am thankful for the little time I had to communicate this way with him. I believe he made a big difference in the lives of thousands of men and women who either knew him, or read his magazine articles.
    I hope his family can endure this loss and know how much we all cared for him.
    Jerry Henry

Comment

Gordon Maney, Center of the Power Wagon Universe.

Back in the mid-1980s, when people communicated by land line, letter and classified ad, Gordon Maney was the center of the Power Wagon Universe he created with the Power Wagon Advertiser. The Dodge military vehicle hobby was then 10 years old and interest was growing in their civilian cousin, the Power Wagon. Gordon gauged interest and solicited subscribers for his proposed monthly magazine by placing ads in other publications read by Dodge truck enthusiasts. He found enough enthusiasm to venture forward, and never wavered.

The first issue of the Power Wagon Advertiser dated July 1984 was mailed to about 180 subscribers. Its name, Advertiser, proclaimed its purpose: to create a dialogue among owners and establish a clearing house for all things Power Wagon. Gordon provided the venue for sharing our passion for these slow, ugly yet purposeful trucks whose form was function. He created this network of truck nerds who finally found acceptance among others who understood them and nodded in agreement rather than look askance at our heavy metal obsessions. He started us talking.

Before the Internet, model and parts identification, mechanical knowledge and regaling of adventures was disseminated by paper that arrived monthly on our doorstep. It was always accompanied by some philosophical point raised thru a Socratic dialogue placed on a Tailgate. Gordon was forever curious, and piqued our imagination with simple but thoughtful questions. He got us thinking.

In person he was calm and reserved, with no use for backslapping or gregarious chatter. His humor was so wry and dry it could suck moisture out of dust. But he got our gears spinning and propelled forward our conversations about our favorite old slow ugly trucks. He kept us in touch.

Gordon was one of the quiet ones, a modest Midwesterner who always delivered on time whatever the circumstances. He lived that bedrock Dodge value: dependability. Once you met him you were forever a friend who, no matter how long apart, could pick up where you left off at your last meeting with no fanfare whatsoever. And you always walked away from your meeting with him feeling better not only about yourself but about the world at large. Gordon had that effect on people, bringing out the positive and giving you more insight into the world and yourself while leaving you the gift of yet another thought to ponder. He kept us wondering.

I will miss Gordon and wish him a peaceful rest. But I will always remember Gordon and the positive environment he created, whether in person or at the kitchen table reading his latest issue. The world is a poorer place for his passing, but he leaves behind a legacy of joy to all those who may peruse old issues of the Power Wagon Advertiser. The Power Wagon Universe shuddered, but still lives on.

Comment

My one visit with Gordon

It only took place a weeks ago, on June 5th. I had decided to try and visit Gordon during my trip to Iowa. I had a little family business to perform and of course there was the Rally. I had pretty much decided that I would never get another opportunity. Everything seemed to line up, My wife's first go round with chemo had ended a week prior and she was feeling chipper enough to check in at work. Not enough to fly to Iowa though so off I went.
        I had set-up a meeting with Gordon once before but something prevented me from attending the Rally that year.
        I was able again to schedule some of his time that Thursday and we had a pretty good time under the circumstances. I was impressed with his presence even though his appearance no longer matched the robust man I had seen in so many photos. Gordon and I had corresponded quite a bit over the last couple decades. I had a good sense of what an intelligent and inquisitive mind I was dealing with. He was very keen to hear about the details of an article I am writing for his magazine.
        All that was still there, though he struggled a bit with the words. With Carol's help I was able to understand his meaning. I am very grateful to Carol and Kevin for their help in making it possible for me to meet him in person.
        We have all lost a great friend, but his legacy will continue to arrive in a monthly fashion and keep him alive in our hearts.
        Sorry if this sounds a little disjointed, but then so am I .

Comment

Can't really express my thoughts right now, I feared and knew this was coming and Gordon had such kind words for JimmieD when he passed a few months ago.

Gordon had a way with words, he could put into writing what each of us felt with our connection to our trucks.

Years ago, He wrote the best explanation I have ever read, of the emotional attachment that comes simply starting your truck up and engaging the clutch and manual shifter.

He was a mentor to me, when I was writing articles for Chrysler and this web site.

I was a mentor to him when he remodeled his house.
          Some of you may recall that time.
          Gordon would open up a wall or ceiling, exclaim, OH My! And send me an email and photos.
          I'd ask for dimensions and start engineering a repair and in a day or two he would exclaim, It worked!
          "We",... him with labor, (I with long range expertise) remodeled that house as if I was there and even though I was unable to visit him, I knew nearly every room, simply from his emails.

Gordon had a gift, I can read his articles and feel the vibrations, smell the oil, hear the rpm's.
          May we never forget his contributions to our hobby, or his love of machines.
          Rest in Peace my friend, as you often told others, you were one heck of a guy.

Comment

Kevin, You have the gift of expressing the respect many of us feel for our friend, and yet find impossible to write down. Thank you for sharing! I'll join with the many others who read your post and simply say Amen.
            Jim

Comment

There are no words...

There are no words to express the loss I feel. Everything POWER WAGON in my life started with an April 1995 sample copy of PWA. I am blessed to have shared Gordon's love of our language and his special appreciation of the great work ethic that is manifested in these fine old trucks.

Comment

Amen To That

Colt, Kevin, CD, Dave, Bob T & everyone else. We all have the same reverence for Gordon, PW's, dogs & life! I read between the lines, but thought we would have more time, another rally maybe? I just was not ready to read about on fb no less, I wish I had made it to Fairfield this year .... God Speed Gordon!

Comment

There are many very nice things said about Gordon in the posts here. I would encourage everyone to visit the website of www.murdochfuneralhome.com and add your condolences, stories, and photos to their tribute wall. There will be family and friends who may not read the Power Wagon forums.

Thanks,
                  Junior

http://www.murdochfuneralhome.com/ob...#!/TributeWall

Comment

We never met in person, but I had a couple of emails back and forth with him, when I join here, and subscribed to the PWA. He appeared to be a real gentleman, in the short time I was able to talk with him. He will be sadly missed.

Prayers said for the family.

May God Bless and keep them.

Comment

R.I.P. My friend

All I can say is you left an impression on this earth that will live on forever. Knowledge and understanding are the virtues of a great teacher and you taught me a lot. Rest in peace Gordon and thank you for letting me know you.

Comment

Rest in Peace

I am saddened by the news of Gordons passing, It caused me to go back and re read the the Philosophy section in the home page of Powerwagon Advertiser

the last line always strikes a chord in me.

"Common beliefs such as these have brought us together. Join with us each month to celebrate our common values and ideals. Learn from others how to be self-reliant in your own way, with your own tools, in a manner that brings you quiet pride."

Gordon Maney
                        Editor, Power Wagon Advertiser

May it always be so.
                        rest in peace Gordon.
                        and prayers for your family

Comment

I am sad to hear that Gordon has passed away. I didn't have the chance
                          to meet him in person.... but I'll miss him just the same.

John

Comment

We All Know

And respect the inevitable, our demise is coming, the Moody Blues wrote a song about it, 22,000 Days, but we/your never ready for it!
                            RIP Gordon!

Comment

I was shocked at last years PW rally when I saw Gordon at his table in the building at the fairgrounds. He had lost so much weight and physical strength I thought like others he had cancer. Such was not the case as he described his condition with Lyme disease. Although he was not his physical self he WAS Gordon we all expected to see and share our stories with of since the last time we talked. We all know what a genuine man he was filled with values he learned from experiences. His mentor was Ken Marsh as many of you know. When Will Watson and I went to visit Gordon this past February, he told us some of Ken's life exploits. I wish I had met Ken Marsh.

By this visit Gordon was even weaker than at the rally last year. But he was still Gordon Maney, able to share and to listen to our stories. I had helped Gordon via emails before he got sick with questions about his remodeling of his house. I felt honored that he would ask me for advice. He asked several times in the past about helping advance my new found business of restoring trucks. I told him I was doing fine but would let him know if I ever needed that help.

I am so honored to have known Gordon as I'm sure we all are and to call him our friend. I only hope I can leave this earth with a fraction of the legacy our friend has left. On that last visit I told Gordon he may not have many blood relatives but he has the largest family I know of.

My sincere condolences go out to Carol who was by his side at the rallies and to the very end. You are a special lady and part of our family like Gordon. May God bless you as you heal from this loss.

Comment

Sad day for me...

Never did make the rally to meet him in person. Certainly my loss.
                                Rest in peace.
                                Art (aka DrPepper) in Illinois

Comment

Working...
                                X