Blue Jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Jeans

I ruined a pair of jeans today. I think I could sew the holes shut but I don’t think I could get the blood stains out. I got into my knee with my big chainsaw. Doing the wrong thing, cutting over my head, which I have done for years with my little saw, but this one is quite heavy; it is a Stihl 460 with a 24 inch bar. Pretty dumb.

I am prone to asking people, "Did we learn anything from this?" So, I need to practice that kind of analysis.

The chain hit my knee cap at the lower part of it, almost got into those important parts below the knee cap; tendons, etc. I made a series of parallel gashes in my knee and liberated a chunk of flesh, but otherwise OK. Pretty lucky.

I sat on the porch and poured hydrogen peroxide on it while the dog watched with considerable interest. I then went in the house and it started bleeding pretty good and I couldn’t get it to stop for a while, but then finally it did. Paper towels are really handy....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Glad you are OK.
    Those darn old saws can eat skin and bone quickly.
    Save the jeans, they will help you remember for a while longer.
    Hope you have some of those butterfly bandades to put on that
    to keep it held together so it can heal quicker and not scar too bad.
    Neosporin(sp) on it will help to keep it soft and heal quicker
    Take care
    Fred

Comment

Gordon We all learn from our mistakes or at least we should. I hope you got medical attention so things don't compound for you in the healing process. I have had close calls with various power tools but the chainsaw is at the top of the list for most unforgiving. My son has been trained by the DNR here in Indiana for chainsaw saftey and use, thereby allowing him to be a sawyer out west fighting wildfires. He always uses a helmet with face and ear protection and a pair of chaps. He has snagged his chaps once and they truely do their job. Although my son wasn't happy with a snag in his chaps he would have been even worse off without them. Hope your healing goes well and glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana
        Gordon We all learn from our mistakes or at least we should. I hope you got medical attention so things don't compound for you in the healing process. I have had close calls with various power tools but the chainsaw is at the top of the list for most unforgiving. My son has been trained by the DNR here in Indiana for chainsaw saftey and use, thereby allowing him to be a sawyer out west fighting wildfires. He always uses a helmet with face and ear protection and a pair of chaps. He has snagged his chaps once and they truely do their job. Although my son wasn't happy with a snag in his chaps he would have been even worse off without them. Hope your healing goes well and glad it wasn't any worse than it was.
        Actually, I always wear one of those hardhats with earmuffs and face screen. And, I have been thinking about getting a pair of the chaps, and just had not yet done so. The time is here.

I did not go to town, I am a kind of farm shop doctor, but it will be fine. It looks a little gruesome, though.

I am working on the roof of my shop today; with luck I won't fall off....

Comment

Hi Gordon,
          Sorry to hear about the accident. Like Ron, I have a healthy respect for tools which are even better at cutting flesh and bone than their intended material. Check out my left hand if we ever meet in person, fused ist joint on the pinky, missing ring finger and middle finger 1/2" shorter than god intended. all in an instant on a table saw. Even better than learning from your mistakes, is learning from others mistakes. It is fall, the chainsaws are getting lots of use, WORK SMART AND PUT ON THE SAFTY GEAR!!!!
          I hope the healing goes well, thats got to hurt. Take it as easy as you can, Tim
          57 Power Wagon
          Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
          57 W-100
          60 W-100
          51 M37
          61 Triumph TR-3A
          80 Triumph Spitfire
          09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
          05 Subaru Outback
          10 speed bike
          Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

With all my years as a sawyer, I have only scuffed the leather on my boot once. My only real accident came from a jointer. (Shooting ones self with a nail gun dosen't count) Now I can only fully flip somebody the bird with my right hand!

I have found the most dangerous situatuion with the chain saw is cutting in a pile of slash or logs...kick-back country for sure! Heal up and enjoy your new chaps!

DAB
            Last edited by Cheyenne Dave; 10-19-2003, 06:09 PM.
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

G,

Glad you are not hurt any worse. Familiarity does seem to breed contempt as people usually get hurt after something becomes routine and they stop paying attention. I neglected to put on a pair of safety glasses one day while using a wire wheel - a piece of wire broke loose and pierced my cheek under the right eye. Could just as easily been another inch higher and me blinded as a result. Keep your wound clean and after it heals, look at it every so often as a reminder. Everybody stay safe...H

Comment

Chain Saw Safety 101

Gordon,
                You said it yourself, about the over head stuff, even with the smaller saw. I have been using a chain saw for more than twenty-five years, mostly for ice carving, but it's still the same rules. Enough of the lam bastin' keep it clean, lots of neosporiin or bacatraciin ointment, even ice can help for the first 48 hours, and if you know a Doc, ask him/her for a scrip, antibiotics, it can't hurt!! I use chaps and some times a big thick rubber apron, for mulitple block carvings.
                Mend Well,

Comment

Gordon,
                  Please do not worry me that way, I would not have a life if this forum was not here, so be careful. I know from past experience that it can happen very fast about lost three fingers to one once so now I approch it very carefully and never forget gloves safety shoes eye protection ect. It is easier to replace the power wagon then it is to replace you.
                  Take Care
                  Jumper

Comment

OUCH! I cringed when I read your post. Hope you are healing OK. Using a chainsaw is another good addition to to the list of things we should be able to do, like you listed in the recent PWA. I can't give you any advice on chain saws, but I hope you have a doctor take a look at your cut, just for peace of mind. Can you still drive?

Comment

No, I did not go to the doctor. I have habits formed in my youth when we took care of virtually everything at home.

....and yes, I am driving. It did not ruin any important parts. Just the outer layers, so to speak. It took my breath away thinking how close I came to a major disaster.

Comment

I was also using a chainsaw all this past weekend. It could just as easily be me with the bummed knee. My "big" saw is a Stihl 028. Not as big as your's, but big enough that I now do all of my overhead work with the wife's little electric McCullough. If the limb is too big for that saw, then the whole tree comes down! I too, wear a helmet with ear and face protection. Have been thinking about chaps a lot lately. I think you just made up my mind.

Heal quickly Gordon.

Comment

There are also boots that have chainsaw resistant layers in their construction....

Comment

Gordon!
                            I missed this thread when I went through yesterday, I'm glad that you are OK! Take it easy for a few days and BECAREFUL!
                            I have a Stihl 32" bar, they are NOT toys! always keep your footing firm, the work area clear and the blade to one side.
                            MN

Comment

Hi Gordon,
                              Just wondering how the knee was mending?
                              Tim
                              57 Power Wagon
                              Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
                              57 W-100
                              60 W-100
                              51 M37
                              61 Triumph TR-3A
                              80 Triumph Spitfire
                              09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                              05 Subaru Outback
                              10 speed bike
                              Hiking Boots