No announcement yet.

Blue Jeans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is doing really well, all healed up, with a good scare to remind me of the event. Periodically I still marvel at how lucky I was...
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

My new chaps....
      Attached Files

Comment

Very chic Gordon. I hope you never have the experience of finding out how they work. A sound investment.

Comment

My,...aren't we the dandy one! ha!ha! I still think the 1" plates can fit in there somewhere!
          MN

Comment

PC Chaps

Hey Gordon,
            Aren't those available in green, or are you going to do lumber retrieving during hunting season?
            BTW, Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving?

Comment

Norm, they are green when they are in the "off" mode. Gordon must have turned them on for the holiday season. Best of all, they're UL Approved! That means they are unlikely to short out in case of a "hit". It's amazing what they can do with L.E.D.'s these days...How many batteries does it take to lite 'em up?
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
              1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor
              1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
              UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Good News - Bad News

Good News - They don't require batteries. See the extension cord.

Bad News - It will take a very long extension cord to get out into the woods.

Comment

Re: Good News - Bad News

Originally posted by Paul Cook
                  Good News - They don't require batteries. See the extension cord.

Bad News - It will take a very long extension cord to get out into the woods.
                  I think a small, portable generator might be the thing....

Comment

Hopefully Knot A Hand-Crank

Pac Pac style would be a worth while invention? I think the dynamo would weigh to much?

Comment

I think that, with minor modifications, the chainsaw's magneto could power those chaps nicely...
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor
                      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Just a bump so our lumberjacks can find this!

Comment

...i still hear my dad's words

my dad wasn't a hunter or a fisherman, he wasn't a great mechanic, he didn't care for the shooting sports, but he was good with his hands...

he was a mechanical engineer by trade, his specialty was tool & die; machine tools.

After WWII, he made a metal shelled drill into a skilsaw. He had the aluminum frame cut from a piece of aluminum, this was before the advent of sawblade safety shields...

When my dad showed me how to operate the saw...he REPEATEDLY EMPHASIZED... BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE SWITCH, WHERE ARE YOUR HANDS AND FINGERS ???

TED passed away in 1987, to this very day, EVERY time I pick up a power tool, I hear his voice, and through me, my sons hear his voice also...

thanks, dad...

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                            I ruined a pair of jeans today. I think I could sew the holes shut but I don’t think I could get the blood stains out. I got into my knee with my big chainsaw. Doing the wrong thing, cutting over my head, which I have done for years with my little saw, but this one is quite heavy; it is a Stihl 460 with a 24 inch bar. Pretty dumb.

I am prone to asking people, "Did we learn anything from this?" So, I need to practice that kind of analysis.

The chain hit my knee cap at the lower part of it, almost got into those important parts below the knee cap; tendons, etc. I made a series of parallel gashes in my knee and liberated a chunk of flesh, but otherwise OK. Pretty lucky.

I sat on the porch and poured hydrogen peroxide on it while the dog watched with considerable interest. I then went in the house and it started bleeding pretty good and I couldn’t get it to stop for a while, but then finally it did. Paper towels are really handy....
                            Count yourself lucky Gordon. A few weeks back we responded to a dead body call where the wound was as you described. Apparently a damaged vein opened up after the guy doctored himself and put his tools away. The coroner recognized the wound pattern and we looked around until we found the accident scene. The wound was imminently survivable had it been treated properly.
                            It made me think of the number of times I've been out sawing wood without anyone else around. As much as I hate cell phones, I think I'll keep mine handy when I'm working alone.

Comment

Wow, this is strange....

I just got permission to thin out 20 acres of private land. I can take the trees for firewood. This is going to be a long project for me. And I was out looking at a pair of Stihl pro wraparound chaps at the saw shop where I get my saws tuned. I balked at the $81.59 price tag. But now I'm pretty sure about going back and getting them.
                              I also have a pair of old Firefighting bunker pants that I could wear, but those get pretty warm outside in the summer.

Comment

Glad you're okay Gordon!

I have a pair of steel toe boots with a BIG OL' GASH on the one toe.

Steel toed boots 1: Chain saw 0.

I was also doing something I shouldn't have been doing with a chain saw buzzing away (and knew better), but that bad stuff only happens to other people... right?

Comment

Working...
                                X