No announcement yet.

Garage Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with the OSB too, painted it white which really brightened up the space. But otherwise it's durable and you can hang stuff anywhere. One of these days I'll get around to doing the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
      I went with the OSB too, painted it white which really brightened up the space. But otherwise it's durable and you can hang stuff anywhere. One of these days I'll get around to doing the ceiling.
      I'm not in any hurry to complete my walls/ceiling at present. I chip away
      at it when time permits. As my ceilings are 12', laying down perlans and
      raising up 4x8 sheets of OSB doesn't excite me too much at the moment.
      Have a good Thanksgiving.
      John

Comment

Yes, I didn't get walls installed until about a year after I had the garage built. Only problem with doing it later is you have to move everything away from the walls to put it up, then put it all back.

I'm probably not going to use OSB for the cieling because of the height, I'll probably go with some sort of ceiling tile system, but like you I'm in no real hurry. I'd rather be working on the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
          I'd rather be working on the truck.
          Yep.... precisely what I've wound up doing....
          John
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice Pic

Guard dogs right, John?
            Happy Turkey Day Everyone,

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              Guard dogs right, John?
              Happy Turkey Day Everyone,
              Yeah Bruce.... pretty intimidating... aren't they?
              John ;)

Comment

Well that very valuable info. Well thanks for having this one, i learn something new..

Comment

Work Bay Size/Clerance Question

When I designed my shop I left room around each vehicle to work on them.

Just wondering how much "work space" everyone leaves when they design/plan their shop areas?

Is 50" too each side?
                  How much space front and rear?
                  How much space between two vehicles 50" or more?

Thanks,
                  Will
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will,

I think you have adequate space in your shop...
                    I think for most people though, they will take what they can get.
                    Yes, more the merrier and it will make things go much easier, but we
                    all can't have that luxury.

In my current situation I have a 24x24 garage and I envisioned only having 1 vehicle in there at a time. This would allow a complete vehicle to be in the center, or a chassis/body side by side. And if in a side by side configuration, one would be pushed up next to a wall to give maximum space.

Right now, my current situation is just sitting there and I can barely walk next to my trucks :(

But, in the design of something, I would have a place large enough so that if door's were open on a vehicle, you could still walk around the vehicle w/o closing or moving anything in the way. As far as front to back, maybe 5ft enough room if you were removing an engine. You can always roll vehicle forward or backward dependent on need.

Pieter

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
                      Is there a drawing program other than AutoCAD to design with? I have AutoCAD LT and it's a burden to use.
                      If you need a hand putting drawings together, let me know...
                      Being that's what I do for a living and currently have little to no work, I could probably fit you in and the price would be pretty good for you as well...

Pieter

Comment

Cad

Pieter, I'll take you up on that.

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
                          Pieter, I'll take you up on that.
                          just email me Steve what you need. pmvliet_at_makanaenterprises.com
                          replace the _at_ with @.

Let me know where you are in California as well. I believe you said Tracey.
                          I've got a ex-coworker, now a good friend who is very familiar with building officials in the state... She can give me a hand with issues and point me in the right direction if we get in a pickle... And it doesn't hurt that her fiancee is a contractor :)

Pieter

Comment

At sure risk of being the "safety prick", I'd like to mention that all electrical outlets must be rated at least the same as the breaker, as in, a 20 amp breaker must not feed 15 amp outlets. This is to prevent overheating, connection failure, and then fire. I offer this bit as a many-year industrial electrician. I'm also glad GFCI devices were mentioned- many people have been killed by standing in wet grass handling a power tool.

As an OLD DODGE owner, I look at our trucks the same as most of you- these things have real value. As an historic vehicle owner, I see many of them as "hard to replace", and some of them as irreplaceable. My garage is attached to my home, in which my two young daughters and wife live with me. They are all irreplaceable.

Two summers ago, a neighbor a couple of blocks away burned down his garage with his car in it as he was working on the fuel system while the engine was running. A young neighbor boy who was watching was just able to run out.

Because of what I have just mentioned, I have installed a fire sprinkler system in my garage (with a stub for future expansion to the house hallway, kitchen, and where we set our Christmas tree).

At risk of getting in trouble with the local Fire Marshal, I admit I did not use a contractor (as required where I live); I installed it myself, modelling it on the systems installed in the many commercial buildiings I have done construction in. It cost me about $450 in materials, using 9 sprinklers for a two-car garage and 1", 3/4", and 1/2" copper pipe.

I would urge anyone reading this to at least consider installing a sprinker system in their shops/garages. I realize it may not be practical if you're on a well, but if you're on a pressurized municipal system, then please look into it.

-Ken J

Comment

Working...
                            X