No announcement yet.

tranny fluid all over the place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor is out, I was right, one of the freeze plugs in the back was leaking. When I took that plug out, there was so much sand like dirt that came out. Is that normal? I was thinking about taking a garden hose and spraying the freeze plug holes out real good. What do you think? Also I got new valve guide seals, how hard are they to replace?

Comment

More than likely it's core sand from when the block was cast plus a build up of rust from it's age. Anything you can do to get it clean will help in the long run but short of having the bare block hot tanked I doubt you'll get all of it out. Can't hurt to try though. You'll need a valve spring compressor to remove and install the seals. You can rent one or AutoZone loans out tools. Any problems getting the engine out? If you have your truck running and have the means, any chance you can make it to the VPW Power Wagon rally in June?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
        More than likely it's core sand from when the block was cast plus a build up of rust from it's age. Anything you can do to get it clean will help in the long run but short of having the bare block hot tanked I doubt you'll get all of it out. Can't hurt to try though. You'll need a valve spring compressor to remove and install the seals. You can rent one or AutoZone loans out tools. Any problems getting the engine out? If you have your truck running and have the means, any chance you can make it to the VPW Power Wagon rally in June?
        I have a valve spring compressor, Im worried about replacing the valve seals with head still on the block, I dont want to drop a valve, can you explane how to replace the seals with the head still on the block? Where is the rally at? Sounds like fun.

Comment

It can be done if you have a fitting that will screw into the spark plug hole that connects to an air line. With both valves closed you pump up the cylinder with air which holds the valve up while you remove the valve spring. This is providing you have a compressor that allows you to do this. A C clamp compressor won't work of course. So the trick is having the right tools. Go down the page here to Events for Iowa rally June 5-8. You'll get Dodge truck overload and have a lot of fun. It's a family reunion atmosphere where everyone speaks the same language DODGE. Get a room early at a motel or camp out at the fairgrounds. The teeter board, truck pull and pork chop dinner along with the parade are great events.

Comment

It can be done if you have a fitting that will screw into the spark plug hole that connects to an air line. With both valves closed you pump up the cylinder with air which holds the valve up while you remove the valve spring. This is providing you have a compressor that allows you to do this. A C clamp compressor won't work of course. So the trick is having the right tools. Go down the page here to Events for Iowa rally June 5-8. You'll get Dodge truck overload and have a lot of fun. It's a family reunion atmosphere where everyone speaks the same language DODGE. Get a room early at a motel or camp out at the fairgrounds. The teeter board, truck pull and pork chop dinner along with the parade are great events.

Well, I took all the freeze plugs out, then I took a garden hose and washed the motor out good. There was alot of dirt in the motor. I also started to change out the valve guide seals but I got the wrong ones, the new right ones come in on Tuesday.

Comment

valve guide seals?

OK, got my valve guide seals in but not sure if they are right. They gave me Fel-pro part # SS 13955 for both exhaust and intake, it looks right for the exhaust but the intake is different, it fits but looks different. Has any body heard of this? Is this right?

Comment

Ok, motor is back in but I cant get it to keep running. It runs, sounds good but then dies, the fuel filter fills up then emptys and truck dies, this has happened 5 or so times. If I crank enough the filter fills up again, truck starts and runs for minute then I see the fuel level going down in the filter until empty, then truck dies. What is going on? Air pockets in fuel line?

Comment

What are you working on, the '04 truck in your user name? This is a Cummins engine?
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    What are you working on, the '04 truck in your user name? This is a Cummins engine?
                    No, this is a 76 W100, 318.

Comment

Assuming you have plenty of gas in the tank, it sounds like you have a lazy fuel pump or possibly a restricted fuel line between the tank and the pump. Did you possibly disturb/ hit / pinch the hard fuel line on the passenger side frame rail while pulling your engine? Without seeing it, I'd guess it's time for a new fuel pump. Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                        Assuming you have plenty of gas in the tank, it sounds like you have a lazy fuel pump or possibly a restricted fuel line between the tank and the pump. Did you possibly disturb/ hit / pinch the hard fuel line on the passenger side frame rail while pulling your engine? Without seeing it, I'd guess it's time for a new fuel pump. Doug
                        I am going to try a new fuel filter first, I have 2, one up front and one in the back. I will look and see if the fuel line is ok. I did take the tuck around the block and I think I still have the same tranny leak, what is going on?

Comment

OK, it runs now! The rubber fuel line in the back that hookedup to the fuel filter was kinked. I got a new fuel filter also and all is good now. Thankyou.

Comment

Glad it was something simple. Question why two filters? One after the fuel pump should to it. Any more on the tranny leak? How did the input on the torque converter look? No wear or scoring where the seal runs was there?

Comment

Glad it was something simple. Question why two filters? One after the fuel pump should to it. Any more on the tranny leak? How did the input on the torque converter look? No wear or scoring where the seal runs was there?
                              When I bought it came with two filters, not sure on the leak yet, I have not drove it much. I didnt see anything wrong with the torque converter. Ill drive it more and see.

Comment

Maybe a previous owner had a lot of trouble with contaminants in the tank.
                                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                                X