Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jim lee
    replied
    Oh boy! I feel for you. Have you pulled it apart to see what failed inside?

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Torque converter - you have a lathe, why not chuck the torque converter in there and cut the weld? Once you peel the two halves apart you can flush it out, put it back together and weld it back up. That is pretty much what the shops do to the converters - some are darn expensive. Send us some pictures when you pull the trans and what you put in its place........I guess you now know where the noise was from? What year of Alison are you using?
    edit: show some pictures of what you find...

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Well, my Carryall is down and out, busted up...
    The Allison literally blew up. Sounds like a rock quarry inside of the case in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. So 4th gear is 1:1 with no planetary gear sets moving, therefore I've got trashed planetary gears or at the very least have failed torrington thrust bearings. What sucks is with the amount of metal being made in the oil, the torque converter is of no value now and is trash too. I JUST BOUGHT IT and it was VERY expensive, but not worth the price of having it sent off and rebuilt.

So in the meantime I have found but need to put my hands on a used Duramax transmission. The silver lining is that I have learned a lot about these Allison 1k units and now could easily swap one into a lot of other machines.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    commented on 's reply
    I will see what I can do, what are you looking for in terms of photos? I have now had two requests to build someone a tire carrier, this is after they have seen mine, but with my garage size and equipment, the math does not work in my favour. A bigger shop, a metal bandsaw would make a difference.

• cgood
    commented on 's reply
    Do you have any more pictures of the whole back bumper and swing out spare assembly?

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Four door carryall ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lhd...&frags=pl%2Cwn ----------- lets see Dan take it out for a cruise:)

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Did you get your sounds during the test video? I certainly didn't hear anything.

The bodies of these thing do make a **** of a racket. I found that most of my body noise was the rear gate banging around. Have you put in your weather stripping yet? I put in the weather stripping and it helped some. Now I jam in rags on each side when closing it and it that made a HUGE difference.

What are the cables hanging down in the video?

-jim lee
    Last edited by jim lee; 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
    It looks like a great time, I always smile at those angles a true test of the truck. Any luck on the vibration or has it gotten any worse?
    I put an electronic remote stethoscope on the rear axle last night and drove it around. I'm 95% certain the rear axle is fine. I could hear just the slightest noise of motion, but nothing that sounded out of the ordinary for what I would expect smooth running gears to sound like. I'll put the stethoscope on the transfer case tonight or tomorrow night and see what I get from that.

Here is a 4:30 minute video of the truck during a trip. The captions are just to give a feel of loads and speeds.

https://youtu.be/UO0xO40uKCU

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    replied
    It looks like a great time, I always smile at those angles a true test of the truck. Any luck on the vibration or has it gotten any worse?

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Seam was sealed. He used some freaking expensive goo in there. I just sprayed the patch over with O.D. to blend it into the rest of the green mess.

Alex, love the videos! Here is his Shop number : 360 293-2175 Give him a call and you can order some.

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    Morning Alex - So what IS making the noise in the truck? I am under the impression you were trying to track down either a noise or vibration. Get 18" of the repair panel, you know darn well if you get 8" you will need 12" and if you get 18" you will only need 6" of repair panel ;^) It will be cool to see what Jim's finished panel looks like.
    Fixed it for ya ^^^..
    Still don't know. It wasn't the torque converter, could still be a gear noise in the transmission but am starting to wonder if it is a harmonic issue with the intermediate shaft, transfercase, etc. The video footage shows the transmission tailhousing moving around more than I expected it to. I wonder if it is a combination of driveshaft balance, transfercase slop, AND/OR driveshaft angular phasing issues. It has a "bearing" growl that comes in when you go from coast to a cruising load. Pulling a hill, it more or less goes away, decel to stop it goes away, but under light throttle at 45 mph and up, it growls / chatters, rather loudly too. Its frustrating because the truck is pretty quiet with the ISB, a nice muffler, and the Michelins are quiet too, for what they are.

I've got a spare transfer case that I am going to sling in and see if that changes anything. I'm also going to take the intermediate shaft, and both yokes to my local driveline shop and see if they can phase balance the pair. The yoke I have on the Allison was originally for a parking drum setup and I turned it down. It had balance drill spots in it, that are partially still there, so I wonder if maybe the yoke is out of balance some too and the vibration of that is running back up through the case. The intensity and volume of the vibration is road speed relevant, so a driveshaft relationship could be feasible.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Morning Alex - So what was making the noise in the truck? I am under the impression you were trying to track down either a noise or vibration. Get 18" of the repair panel, you know darn well if you get 8" you will need 12" and if you get 18" you will only need 6" of repair panel ;^) It will be cool to see what Jim's finished panel looks like.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Got mine driving again. Its noisy still with no insulation on the floor and lots of panels rattle around but it rides very nice, has sporty amounts of power, stops very well, (I actually need to back off the rear brakes some more with the proportioning valve) and also, I had it to a top speed of 82 mph the other day while testing it. Truck runs 65 EASILY. I have to actually try not to speed around town.

Jim, mine needs just a few inches of that seam... sell me some? Or get me in contact with the guy? Literally I'd buy like 8" or something.

Here are some videos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpiRaGmj...erwagonbuilder

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpikdzcj...erwagonbuilder

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Sealing the seam.
    I used some flexable seam sealer where those two panels meet. The sealer separated within the year and my plan was to strip it all out, epoxy the seam and then try panel adhesive in the seam.
    This would keep the water out, and if not stop the rust it would certainly slow it down. Not sure if I will go that route or not. There has to be a decent seam sealer out there some place but I do not know what it would be. That is a great shot Jim. Funny thing is carolyn sleeps on the same side of my carryall. Our heads are at the top end as well. It will be fun to see a few more updates on this nice piece of work.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied

fixingWall.jpg

Had an issue where the side of Franklin's body had rot holes under the window. This was letting rain water run inside onto Julie's pillow. This had to be taken care of before we could do anymore camping. Winter is here and the PNW is wet.

After calling around, I was told to go to a local body guy that did custom work. We chatted and came up with a plan. I'd already pulled out the rotten window box. He said he'd cut out the rot, I'd take the truck to get the rotted area sand blasted then he'd weld in a new bit of metal. I had a piece of carryall side that Mark gave me when I bought the machine as a donor chunk.

The sand blasting happened yesterday and showed up that there was more rot than we thought. (Friday) This morning (Saturday) I dropped by and he was finishing up replacing the entire area under the window. About two to three times longer than the original donor piece I gave him.

How?..

He used the donor to make up a set of sheet metal dies to stamp out yards of carryall body molding! I was amazed! As I stood there he was erasing the seams, with a mig & grinder, about as fast as you could erase a pencil line with an eraser!

He'd started last night and was nearly finished by the time I left this afternoon. This would have taken me a month at least to make a horrible mess out of.

So if anyone has a carryall with rot in this body seam, they all do, he has the tooling to make up new side panels.

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

Working...
X