X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alxj64
    replied
    Originally posted by jim lee View Post
    That seat is really cool! I have an original and it's kinda' so so. When you lean back in that seat, it looks like there is going to be a massive pressure put on that lower rod. Is there a stop somewhere that stops the seat back from leaning back too far?

Not so much a guru, just liking together already working bits. (Linking together with c++)

You need any custom code for that machine of yours? Anything need a controller? Perhaps some RGB LEDs?

-jim lee
    The ratio on the rod is if you put 250 lbs on the top of the frame in a rotation around the hinge axis, you are creating 1600 lbs of force into the rod, ignoring losses from friction in the hinge points. There are two rods so that is 800 lbs per rod in compression. The rods are 1/2" solid stock A36 mild steel and the rod ends are 3/8" captured spherical joints that go through some 1/8" HRPO Grade A50 plate. Without doing a full analysis and actually wrenching on the frame by hand and watching what moves, it appears that my weak spot are the webs of the hinge to floor plates where the rod ends go through. They create some Z plane bending from the eccentric loading of the rods. My solution to that will be to machine a rod that spans across between the two brackets and the rod ends can thread into it.

My next feat will be coming up with a positive latching mechanism that doesn't create a clothing snagging point during enter / exit, but can be unlatched from both the side getting in and also from the back if people are in the back.

I added some springs to help lift the weight of the seat and to hold it in the up position safely. The hinge bolts are snugged tight at the moment, I think once I add the weight of the cushions and backer panels and such it will be pretty much perfect.

242 Likes, 17 Comments - Alex J (@powerwagonbuilder) on Instagram: “Awesome! Spring assist! Once the cushions and backer boards are added it I may have to go to just a…”

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    That seat is really cool! I have an original and it's kinda' so so. When you lean back in that seat, it looks like there is going to be a massive pressure put on that lower rod. Is there a stop somewhere that stops the seat back from leaning back too far?

Not so much a guru, just liking together already working bits. (Linking together with c++)

You need any custom code for that machine of yours? Anything need a controller? Perhaps some RGB LEDs?

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Alex, love the seat. I'm totally jealous of your metal shop! Don't let me hold you back on your artistic gyrations. Remember, I'm the one that's thinking about building a steam powered camping BBQ rotisserie. They say trouble comes in threes. Tranny, puppers and people treating you poorly. Ya' got your dance card filed for the time being. Like I tell my kids, "If you ain't making or killing people, there's a good chance you'll be able to laugh about all this later. Sometimes is pretty horrible in the middle of it all though. Eyes forward!"

Seriously though, I'm amazed by your ability to come up with this stuff. It looks like one of those really well done 3D models where someone has gone all out with wild ideas and artistic flair. But yours is all all real-in-steel.

Here's a couple pictures of what I'm up to with my carryall. Its being used for the purpose it was originally designed for. After all these years!
    A communications vehicle.

I'm building my own Cellphone. Why? Because I think I can, and its kinda' fun.

P.S. Julie is a avid follower of yours! I think she follows the progress of your carryall closer than our own! She gives me periodic updates on your progress. :)

-jim lee
    Jim, you're such a tech guru, thats awesome! I love the laptop on the map tray, inside a WWII RADIO truck. You are just taking the system to the next level as well. I also follow Julie and ya'll have great kids. Good work there for sure!

Don't worry, you're not holding me back, but rather giving me a calibrated direction.

Here is how the arc of the seat works. Only spent 20 minutes on it yesterday before going to play with some old axles and re-organize my storage unit to try and get rid of some stuff I don't see myself using.

Instagram video

240 Likes, 13 Comments - Alex J (@powerwagonbuilder) on Instagram: “Been in the garage since before sunrise just tinkering away on a Saturday morning. Seat frame folds…”

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Alex, love the seat. I'm totally jealous of your metal shop! Don't let me hold you back on your artistic gyrations. Remember, I'm the one that's thinking about building a steam powered camping BBQ rotisserie. They say trouble comes in threes. Tranny, puppers and people treating you poorly. Ya' got your dance card filed for the time being. Like I tell my kids, "If you ain't making or killing people, there's a good chance you'll be able to laugh about all this later. Sometimes is pretty horrible in the middle of it all though. Eyes forward!"

Seriously though, I'm amazed by your ability to come up with this stuff. It looks like one of those really well done 3D models where someone has gone all out with wild ideas and artistic flair. But yours is all all real-in-steel.

Here's a couple pictures of what I'm up to with my carryall. Its being used for the purpose it was originally designed for. After all these years!
    A communications vehicle.

comVan.jpg

And a closeup of the inane text going on..
    screen.jpg

I'm building my own Cellphone. Why? Because I think I can, and its kinda' fun.

P.S. Julie is a avid follower of yours! I think she follows the progress of your carryall closer than our own! She gives me periodic updates on your progress. :)

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    replied
    That seat is amazing, In due time all things will become easier and more fluid again. I have not picked up a wrench in the shop for a couple of months now. To many other non shop projects that have to be done in the winter time. I ask myself frequently why i continue to look at additional trucks and projects when my daily driver is 500 miles over on an oil change.
    At times it not so much doing the work on the project but having the heart and drive to know when and how you will do it when you get back to it.
    If dreams were built trucks we would all have a field full.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Thanks gents! I'm just slow to get accustomed to changes and lack the ability to write people and things off from my life in the way it appears so many other people can. I'll get over it all, get it all done, and yes, it will certainly be worth it in the end.

I haven't been totally neglecting the WC53 though, whilst stewing over the transmission issues and getting burned by that situation, I have been trying to get the passenger's jump seat frame built so that when the truck is back on the road, people can ride with me. I also have the tubing bent for the middle seat frame and the rear-most frame will get bent up following Christmas. I'm stacking some gift cards and cash to get a new cut-off saw; I'm going to try my hand at one of those Dry-cut saws. Looks like an abrasive saw but uses a carbide blade and spins at a slower RPM than the abrasive saws. Some people seem to love em, others say they are junk. My buddy at NASA has had one for about 3 years now and they ship it with their equipment all over the world as he assembles and aligns the launcher rails for the smaller sounding and instrumentation rockets.

I'm going to try and insert some pictures of the seat frame. My front seats have a higher back rest than the original seats just for the sake of comfort and safety. They fully support to the top of my shoulders at 6'0" tall, medium build. Nobody tall or large is ever driving this truck comfortably, but I don't care about that. That being the case, the seat back was too tall to fold over and tumble like the original jump seat, so instead I am working out a mechanism that makes the seat stand up in a vertical manner and gets close to the windsheild. It can't be up when the door is open, but that would be a rare instance anyways and not at all a deal breaker. Will be easy to remove too. I am hoping to give it some torsion spring assist too so that it can be lifted easily and will stand in the up position. Of course I had to add some touches to under the seat cushion, that can only be seen when the seat is flipped up to exit the back of the truck through the passenger's door.

Its still a work in progress and I don't get much done each time messing with it, however I am putting a detailed effort into it because I want it to work right, fit right, and just overall be nice. I am using some aircraft style hardware and linkages, and the dimple dies, of course to give it that hot rod aviation look, but not look like its too out of place. Jim's eye seems to be the good calibration of what is sci-fi WW2 or not.

1201181654a.jpg
    IMG_20181202_162427_680.jpg

1202181316b.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    replied
    That's the problem with life, keeps getting in the way of our projects! It's why 11+ years after I bought my truck I still don't have an interior in my truck and the running boards are raw steel, and, and, and. I guess that's why some guys spend 5 or 6 figures to get someone else to build one of these vehicles for them. Just remember you've already made if further than most, how many of the trucks for sale here were someone else wanting to do even half of what you've already done and not being able to make it? It's just like running a race, we're never going to win it, so enjoy the journey and just focus on running your race.

Besides, long term it's still worth it. Being able to use my truck to help with all these new house projects is far more satisfying than if it were just a regular truck, and makes me both more and less motivated to finish different tasks.

There are few things worse than saying good by to a friend, whatever the reasons, and there are no better friends than a dog. Hardest thing I ever had to do was say goodbye to Onyx. I was useless for a while afterword too.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Sorry about the dog, their warranty is not very good and something to keep in mind when you welcome one into your life. As to the twits that have shown their true colours, write em off and get on with the next day of your life. They are not worth dwelling on. Out there in the world are some great people who would stand by you through thick and thin. Meeting up with them is a matter of luck, knowing they are out there should have a nice feel to it. You are a very talented guy, no one can take that away from you. As to the stupid transmission,,,,,,you will get it fixed when you are good and ready.
    These projects by their very nature are bound to do weird unexpected stuff as you work out the bugs. Stuff you thing will fail or should fail does not and unexpected weird pooh will blind side you. Right now I have no horn. Why? Because there is a short in the wiring inside my brand new low milage Idit column. The cure will be to dismantle the column and come up with a custom set up where the wires run on the outside of the tube. Pain in the arse, but the column will look a bit more interesting and period correct with that additional tube for the wires. I am taking mine off the road in the next week or so and work on the odd part when I have time and the shop is warm enough. My shop is not heated, which is an issue.
    Jim I still have the battery tray sitting out for you. If I head for Victoria in January I will let you know, perhaps we will both be headed that way.
    Now check this out, this 4dr Carryall is way, way cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4o...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Thanks! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

I wonder where Ale & Bruce are?

-jim lee
    I'm here, somewhat. Just pouting about over the transmission problems and being too broke to mess with it right now between other things in life, and the holidays. I had to put down my shop buddy, Wheeler dog, back during Thanksgiving and also appear to have learned about some friends who weren't friends at all. I'm just having a tough go at life currently so I haven't been loitering around the forums much. I do enjoy all of you guys adventures and such, it has certainly helped me get my mind out of bad things a little here and there.

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Hello Bruce! Yes the cost of the window was a bit staggering. And there are three more. We'll see what we can do. Sure is nice to have a working one. Its like buffing & polishing one fender on your old oxidized car. Kinda' needles ya'.

Here's a picture of me 'n the kiddies Julie took this Thanksgiving. We were able to use the machine to bring everyone to our Son's college house (in background). It was kinda' like having a family dinner in Animal house. Was kinda' fun though.

tGivingAtDans.jpg

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Got the Carryall out for a run today. We took the wrong branch road and ended op on either an old logging road that was used for oxen or the hard tired trucks from the 1920 era. Lots of cross ties with planks laid on top that ran parallel to the road. My concern was hitting a nail, there was a lot of slick mud and deep water holes that the wood road crossed. in places it was intact and others not so much. I was going to take pictures on the way back out but we popped up onto a hydro line road and followed that. Of course we hit a gate and I do not have a key for the hydro locks - sure would like one. (I need some Best key blanks) Of course it is getting late, its raining and its just a tad dark. The solution was to pop off the road, drive down the bank and make our way through a thicket and pop back on the road. graham spotted me and I had zip in the way of clearance between two trees but managed to get through without touching either one. I thought I was in low,low range but once we got out I found out it was only 3 to 1 and not 6 to 1. I had a laugh at that. Truck is running fine but it does need some tweaks and after the mud water bath a good wash and grease job. I do not elect drive in mud - that was what we hit on the road and it was easy to get through. Mud is for frogs and aquatic life, not for thrashing a truck in. The road folks are starting to use that stuff that melts ice and rusts frames, when I see that the Carryall stays home.
    I was looking at a place on Hyda Gway where you can drive 25 miles of beach, that would make for an interesting trip. Camp on the beach and go looking for washed up treasures would be a decent way to spend a few days......wel except for the rain.

take care
    Bruce

edit: Jim thanks for the cost break down on your latest blog - it provides a great idea of why things cost so much and how they add up.

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Thanks! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

I wonder where Ale & Bruce are?

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Welcher PWA
    commented on 's reply
    Jim that is some fantastic fabrication and body work that you did there. I really enjoy following your adventures.

• jim lee
    replied
    For those that are following.. I posted an update to my Carryall blog.

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Desoto61
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry man that really sucks! Nothing I hate more than trying to do a job right and having it all go wrong. Getting my share of that with this new house, keep us informed.
Working...
X