Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    That was good enough that I watched it twice:). I am sorry to hear that you have to deal with a second trannie going south. Trust me I know what it feels like - second turbo, second head, second set of tires, second water pump, second pulley mt, third hydroboost, third master cylinder, third fuel sender, second alternator, third light switch and a whole new review camera system that worked on the bench but not in the truck, second drive shaft, second set of front springs, third volt meter and I am sure there are some items I am missing. This sort of thing is normal but it gets old very
    quickly. Jim had a few issues and teething problems with his truck too. And the brake issue on mine ain't fixed yet.
    But are we having fun?
    I hit the link to jim's blog and it did not work - is there a different link, I will need to take the old one down.
    f8402f80f4d94ea5ae6fad9d191962b5.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Heres a good outside video of mine cruising by my sister-in-law's Jeep. Despite the truck eating another Allison (roaring and chattering again), I decided to haul it up to a family reunion event and drive it around where I grew up some.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8RvCrnZcX/

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    This is the drum installed on the drive flange and the flange side that the drive shaft mounts to. Lots of fun.
    IMG_0496.jpgIMG_0497.jpg

Fireridge we would love to see your photos of that Carryall in Manitoba. Have you done anything to your carryall?

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    IMG_0495.jpg
    Getting at the drive line bolts that hold the drum in place can be a real pain in the hoohoo. I built these custom bolts from a set of ARP stainless bolrs, once I crack the bolt loose i can insert an allen key on the easy to access side and spin them out to free the drive shaft. That is the theory anyway.

Leave a comment:

• W_A_Watson_II
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    Look what I found for $20.00
    Someone sanded the outside and did not paint it, so there is surface rust, but unsanded parts have the original black paint still in place.
    The glass is intact too, not sure if it is safety glass or not.
    WOW, Nice score! yea looks like a civilian windshield frame. Cool deal.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Petroff
    replied
    I thinking civilian cab, beings no brackets but I been wrong before.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    I had quite the time getting a post up today. Things seem to be working now.
    The window frame has six screws on each side of the frame and no brackets. I am not sure what year it is, but its from a Dodge truck.
    IMG_0512.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    Look what I found for $20.00
    IMG_0509.jpg
    Someone sanded the outside and did not paint it, so there is surface rust, but unsanded parts have the original black paint still in place.
    The glass is intact too, not sure if it is safety glass or not.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    If your truck broke down up in Canada you would call me, just contact me before the trip and I will give you my number. If I had known you were up this way I would have bombed over and given you the battery tray, there is a fair chance I was over that way when you were. We have had a couple of family emergencies were it was "grand parents to the rescue"
    My carryall - the brakes have quit working and I am waiting for a hydroboost kit from Pirate Jack. Truck still steers fine so I doubt the issue is with the pump. I like how the hydroboost works but have had more issues with it in 10.000 miles than most have in 250.000 miles. I have no idea what is wrong with the system but all signs point to the hydroboost. Even West Texas off road things that may be the part that failed - we shall see. Now that epay has this idiotic postal system they own I am now using other sources for stuff. Alibaba and Amazon are now my go to sites - shipping is cheaper in many cases and I get it faster through Amazon.
    We were going on a trip this weekend but had to cancel because of the break down - worked out fine as we have the family over here now. There are a couple of interesting roads that go down Harrison lake. The West road you can take to Pemberton - there are a few places to camp along the way, some free, some pay. The east road takes yo up to the Fraser canyon and is rough enough to be interesting but not beat you or your truck up. lots of spots to camp for free. I have not done the route but was talking with some folks who have - just last week.

Leave a comment:

• jim lee
    replied
    Hello everyone! Been off doing other stuff for awhile. (Mostly building a cellphone) Alex, good on ya for the article! Bruce, took our 53 up to Harrison Hot springs (In BC Canada) That was a trip! Canadians seem to be more aware of the carryall than the Americans. Got a lot of interest in the truck up there. Was worried the entire trip "What am I going to do if this thing breaks down up here?"

-jim lee

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Gone Fishin'
    The Canoe barely fits inside. I will be building a low profile roof rack and want to find an all aluminum canoe similar to the one like is the Gary's family photo albums.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    Originally posted by Fireridge View Post
    So it can’t b from a pickup the Allison has to be a industrial what is nsbu Alex
    So it can’t b from a pickup the Allison has to be a industrial what is nsbu Alex
    It can be from a pickup, but you need an A2000 bell housing to bolt to the SAE pattern of the Detroit. The Computer needs to be from an industrial application, not a truck that way it can be re-programmed and dumbed down. The wiring harness can be either an industrial or from the pickup. You will need a position sensor for your throttle. Most people just take a Williams controls throttle pedal and attach it to the governor linkage. It is your kick-down and other shift position timing sensor basically.

NSBU = Neutral Safety Back-Up... on an Allison 1000, the linkage just moves the parking pawl and the switch, nothing else mechanical. If you NEVER used the park position on your setup, you can actually locate the shift switch anywhere you want and control it with a lever or knob. The Allison 1000 doesn't need the mechanical linkage inside the transmission other than just to put it in Park..The 2000 doesn't have the park position but instead has slightly larger planetary sets for different ratios. You see a lot of big trucks with push button transmission controls because of that, especially when there are air service brakes.

Leave a comment:

• Fireridge
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bruce in BC
    replied
    That is a neat looking 6x6 - is it getting a falt deck or a pick up box? There are a few pick up boxed 6x6 trucks that look quite good and like they came from the factory. Yet to see a 6X6 carryall.

Leave a comment:

• Alxj64
    replied
    I was thinking 4l80e or definetly the 1000 Alison but I’d prefer to keep electronics out of it
    They are pretty simple actually and will adapt easily.
    You'll need an Allison 2000 Bellhousing, an Allison 1000 4wd so you can bolt a transferase to it, or you can run a 2wd and run a divorced case. The computer needs to be from an Industrial application and you can go to an Allison industrial dealer and have it flashed to where you just need power, ground, and that's it for the computer and the shifting is all controlled by the NSBU on the side of the transmission.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X